Respected Contributor

The doctor may want you to change because there has found to be evidence that proton pump inhibitors such as Nexium, Prilosec and Prevacid contribute to the possibility ot heart attack when taken for long periods of time.  About a 20 percent chance, which is strong enough that patients should think about their risks and benefits.

Pepcid blocks histamine production and is not linked to heart attack.

There was a story about this on the new about two weeks ago.

Honored Contributor

For all the posters that have been taking this medication...for YEARS (!), has your doctor suggested altering your nutrition/lifestyle to prevent taking PPIs?

I can't help but think of the famous story, "The Little Dutch Boy".  The drugs represent the little boy and Nutrition/Lifestyle as the copious amount of water in the dike.  As the story goes, he saved everyone by sticking his finger in the dike until someone rescued him...but unfortunately, in the case of taking drugs, no one will save you until you change what's 'behind the dike'..i.e. nutrition & lifesyle.   

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

For all the posters that have been taking this medication...for YEARS (!), has your doctor suggested altering your nutrition/lifestyle to prevent taking PPIs?

I can't help but think of the famous story, "The Little Dutch Boy".  The drugs represent the little boy and Nutrition/Lifestyle as the copious amount of water in the dike.  As the story goes, he saved everyone by sticking his finger in the dike until someone rescued him...but unfortunately, in the case of taking drugs, no one will save you until you change what's 'behind the dike'..i.e. nutrition & lifesyle.   

You can try to adjust your diet but here's just a few things you can't eat. Coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolate, onions, peppers, most spices, a lot of beneficial veggies like broccoli, tomatoes and any tomato sauces, things like that. Medications and hormones can also cause acid reflux. Some people just have a weak sphincter, any anti anxiety med or muscle relaxers further relaxes that muscle. Hiatal hernias are another cause. I think most of us try to do good with our diet but as you age there are other factors that can contribute to reflux. 

Honored Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

You can try to adjust your diet but here's just a few things you can't eat. Coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolate, onions, peppers, most spices, a lot of beneficial veggies like broccoli, tomatoes and any tomato sauces, things like that. Medications and hormones can also cause acid reflux. Some people just have a weak sphincter, any anti anxiety med or muscle relaxers further relaxes that muscle. Hiatal hernias are another cause. I think most of us try to do good with our diet but as you age there are other factors that can contribute to reflux. 

Blaming ill health on age is just a media's way of excusing a lazy doctor's diagnosis.  "You're old.  Here's a pill"...no way!   You can be healthy & strong as one ages!  Everyone deserves this!  Sometimes it's hard to reverse 60 years of poor health, but your body WANTS to 'right the ship'.  It's amazing how quickly positive changes can occur when positive change happens.  

I also see the word 'try' being used.  If it comes down to living a long, healthy, comfortable life...choices have to be more than 'trying'.  'Trying to do good' isn't good enough.  To see big changes, one must make big changes.

As my favorite quote from Yoda (Star Wars Philosophy!)

"No! Try not.  Do or Do Not.  There is no try!" 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Blaming ill health on age is just a media's way of excusing a lazy doctor's diagnosis.  "You're old.  Here's a pill"...no way!   You can be healthy & strong as one ages!  Everyone deserves this!  Sometimes it's hard to reverse 60 years of poor health, but your body WANTS to 'right the ship'.  It's amazing how quickly positive changes can occur when positive change happens.  

I also see the word 'try' being used.  If it comes down to living a long, healthy, comfortable life...choices have to be more than 'trying'.  'Trying to do good' isn't good enough.  To see big changes, one must make big changes.

I'm not disputing the fact that a good diet is good for one's health only stating that some foods that are good for you (onions, peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, garlic) are bad for acid reflux. And when I say "try" I'm saying that we're not perfect and might want to have a piece of chocolate here or there, or an occasional cocktail. 

I personally don't know anyone disciplined enough to never eat a food that they shouldn't unless they have an allergy. If you are, then good for you. I've yet to meet them and I know some very disciplined people when it comes to their diet. 

Getting older doesn't mean you have to be unhealthy but let's face it, some conditions such as arthritis occur due to hereditary factors as well as wear and tear on the body. Same with other conditions, heart disease or diabetes for instance may be hereditary and dispite some people's best efforts, they may have to take medication and those medications may contribute to acid reflux. 

I have arthritis, degenerative disc disease as well as herniated discs, stenosis, etc., etc. I have a strong family history of arthritis but I have also been in several car accidents. I have to take medications to be able to get out of bed and walk. Those medications cause stomach problems. Yes, diet is very important, but no diet is going to cure those things. I also don't always eat as well as I should because I am sick and not always able to shop for or prepare only healthy food. I'm doing the best I can.  Please don't be so patronizing and assume everyone can stop acid reflux with diet. I can eat perfectly healthy and my medication is still going to cause me to have reflux. I also have nerve damage that affects my digestion.  Others may be faced with similar situations. 

I don't know how many times I've been lectured by a Pollyanna only to have them apologize to me after they got sick. If you are that healthy, be grateful. I can assure you that a healthy lifestyle and diet does not automatically exempt you from becoming ill. 

Super Contributor

Re: Stopping nexium

[ Edited ]

@Reba055 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I'm not disputing the fact that a good diet is good for one's health only stating that some foods that are good for you (onions, peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, garlic) are bad for acid reflux. And when I say "try" I'm saying that we're not perfect and might want to have a piece of chocolate here or there, or an occasional cocktail. 

I personally don't know anyone disciplined enough to never eat a food that they shouldn't unless they have an allergy. If you are, then good for you. I've yet to meet them and I know some very disciplined people when it comes to their diet. 

Getting older doesn't mean you have to be unhealthy but let's face it, some conditions such as arthritis occur due to hereditary factors as well as wear and tear on the body. Same with other conditions, heart disease or diabetes for instance may be hereditary and dispite some people's best efforts, they may have to take medication and those medications may contribute to acid reflux. 

I have arthritis, degenerative disc disease as well as herniated discs, stenosis, etc., etc. I have a strong family history of arthritis but I have also been in several car accidents. I have to take medications to be able to get out of bed and walk. Those medications cause stomach problems. Yes, diet is very important, but no diet is going to cure those things. I also don't always eat as well as I should because I am sick and not always able to shop for or prepare only healthy food. I'm doing the best I can.  Please don't be so patronizing and assume everyone can stop acid reflux with diet. I can eat perfectly healthy and my medication is still going to cause me to have reflux. I also have nerve damage that affects my digestion.  Others may be faced with similar situations. 

I don't know how many times I've been lectured by a Pollyanna only to have them apologize to me after they got sick. If you are that healthy, be grateful. I can assure you that a healthy lifestyle and diet does not automatically exempt you from becoming ill. 

Great post! Sidsmom is always lecturing about a "healthy lifestyle" pay her no mind. Tact is not one of her positives.

Honored Contributor

Re: Stopping nexium

[ Edited ]

Food can Heal.

Food can Kill.

It's your choice. 

Or

Let food be thy medicine,

and

Medicine be thy food.

---Hippocrates

My buddy, Hippocrates, had it right.  

Super Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Food can Heal.

Food can Kill.

It's your choice. 

Or

Let food be thy medicine,

and

Medicine be thy food.

---Hippocrates

My buddy, Hippocrates, had it right.  

Seriously? Food does not heal all things or prevent all things!! You have no idea what you are talking about.

Respected Contributor

Interesting thread.  I found I had GERD and did successfully stop it modifying my diet.  Food can work, you didn't always have the problem....

By the way, there are unintended consequences from using acid blockers etc.

DEATH,Stomach cancer, Ulcers and onset of disease from your body being unable to use the foods you are eating for nutrition.  You can't choose to stop digestion for long periods of time and expect the body to assimilate nutrition from large food particles in the bowel. This can also cause the body to attack it's self = auto imunine diseses.