Honored Contributor

Starting antidepressants

[ Edited ]

Please be gentle.

if anyone feels comfortable posting, if you had issues with anxiety and depression and decided, with the help of your doctor of course, to start taking an anti depression medication, were you nervous about actually starting the medication?  

Due to a whole bunch of stuff in my life which is just causing too much anxiety and sadness for me, I consulted with my doctor this week and am going to start taking medication.  I picked up the prescription today and plan to start Monday. I don’t want to start anything new on a weekend.  Just can’t do it. 

But I’ll admit, I have a lot of anxiety about starting. Like actually taking the first pill out of the bottle and taking it. I don’t take medications well. I can’t take any sort of steroid.  Tylenol makes me dizzy, but I do great with aspirin.    I don’t do well with most anti inflammatories and some antibiotics. I had a major reaction to something many years ago and that’s made me skittish since then.  So I’m really nervous about starting something totally new in a whole new arena. I’m going to do it, but I’m very anxious about it. 

If anyone one feels comfortable posting, please do, but I ask that you be gentle and stay high level and not give me any horror stories like how the meds made you howl at the moon or 911 had to be called. 

This is a huge decision/crossroad for me and I just have so much angst about it.  Hoping for success of course, that’s the goal, but very nervous about starting. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Re: Starting antidepressants

Oh Honey, take your pill.  I struggle with anxiety over a family situation which I have no control over but affect me terribly.  All the "what ifs". I told my Dr about 6 years ago and she prescribed Celexa.  It has done wonders for me and I rarely have that sick pit of the stomach feeling.  Unfortunately, the problem persists.   It does take a few weekd before you start to feel better and sometimes the first prescribed Rx might not be the one that works for you.  Dont give up, try another one.  You will feel better.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes take the meds. They will help. Overnight no but they will. Prayers to you! (((((❤️)))))

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh Please don’t be afraid of your medication....your doctor knows your past issues with some meds, and I am sure prescribed what he/she felt would be best.  As @meem120 said, it takes a few weeks to “kick in”....so give it a fair chance.

Life can be so insane sometimes, and our bodies can be in a state of chemical imbalance....so many things can affect us.  Be grateful there are meds available, hold your head high, take your medication, and feel better.  Life is too short to waste precious days feeling horrible when you don’t have to.

🌷

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Do you have any friends or family who would come over on Monday and spend the day with you? 

If not, maybe you would feel comfortable coming here and chatting about topics of interest to you.

Keep your mind occupied this weekend with things that relax and calm you. Deep breathing or meditation are also beneficial. 

I’m happy you’re taking the next step for your well-being. 

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@gidgetgh 

Do you have any friends or family who would come over on Monday and spend the day with you? 

If not, maybe you would feel comfortable coming here and chatting about topics of interest to you.

Keep your mind occupied this weekend with things that relax and calm you. Deep breathing or meditation are also beneficial. 

I’m happy you’re taking the next step for your well-being. 

@butterfly123 - my husband will be here with me, but he’s not doing very well and...and......I told him about it certainly when I came home from the doctor on Wednesday but he didn’t say anything about it to me in response and hasn’t since. But he’ll be here. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh  Please start your prescription and no worries. I've been on antidepressants three different times during my adult years and am currently on Citalopram. My life is good right now; however, depression runs on my mother's side of the family and I figure I will always be on a med. It has saved me. It's nothing to be ashamed of ~ it's a chemical imbalance. Be kind to yourself and begin the med. Heart

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Wishing you all the best.  {{{hug}}}

You made this decision with medical advice, you obviously did not make it lightly.  Anyone who would presume to criticizes or disrespect it is WAY OUT OF LINE.

Everyone needs help of one kind or another at one time or another.

My suggestion is that since you are so anxious, see if you can have someone with you, or in the same house with you for the first 24 - 36 hours.  Hopefully this will give you a bit of comfort.

Not knowing what you are taking, I would say that medications for depression usually take a period of some days to kick in.  Medications for anxiety may have some effect within hours.  Be sure to respect any driving restrictions on the label.

I hope you have wonderful results.  Nerves are like other parts of our body, simply put, yours are a bit frayed right now, but with some time, and better situations, they can be rebuilt, retrained.  

Sounds as if you are dealing with lots, be kind to yourself, and remember, if you were hurt in an accident you would seek help, life has banged you up some, so you have sought help  -

Good For You!

Please keep us posted.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I understand your concerns, but as long as you consult you doctor about any unusual feelings or symptoms, it is worth a try.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh, can't add much to all the kind, helpful counsel here, just want to chime in that these later generations of antidepressants in many cases are big improvements on those of the past.  Your doctor will work with you as you take and adjust-- and if for some reason it isn't the right thing exactly, you can communicate that and work until you and your team find the best fit.

All the best, and good for you for taking positive steps to feeling better!   Love, oznell.