Honored Contributor

Re: Started Collagen supplements

I take collagen that is marine, but not Lessman's, his is made from tilapia, I only use ones that are made from wild caught fish such as cod or pollock.  I dont trust farm raised fish to be of healthy quality. 

Esteemed Contributor

Do collagen supplements really worK?

Tried some gel supplements like people did in the old days....just can't keep it up seems like it messes with me.

Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Do collagen supplements really worK?

Tried some gel supplements like people did in the old days....just can't keep it up seems like it messes with me.

Collagen is simply a protein which the body digests and breaks down into smaller bits called amino acids. Amino acids are processed in the body accordingly to where they are needed. There's no way to direct the amino acids to where you want them to go by taking any specific type of collagen. Whether or not and how much of the collagen supplements actually get absorbed after digestion is left for debate. It's just protein and peoples' bodies process it in different ways.

Respected Contributor

Some sources recommend digestive enzymes to counteract any side effects of collagen supplements- at least until the gut has acclimated.

The Six Main Digestive Enzymes

Digestive enzymes come in many forms to help your body digest various foods. The six primary digestive enzymes are amylase, lactase, lipase, maltase, sucrase, and protease. Each enzyme has its unique function, yet all are essential for optimal digestion. They include: 

• Amylase: Found in saliva, pancreatic, and stomach juices, it breaks down carbs and starches into simple sugars
  • Lactase: Breaks down lactose, a natural sugar in milk, into the simple sugars glucose and galactose
  • Lipase: A digestive enzyme in the stomach and pancreas that breaks down lipids (fats) into fatty acids and glycerol
  • Protease: Found in the stomach, pancreas, and intestine, it breaks down protein into amino acids
  • Maltase: Breaks down malt sugar into glucose
  • Sucrase: Breaks down sugar into glucose and fructose

I appreciate all your thoughts and experiences!

Super Contributor

I agree with another person here. I take Andrew Lessman hydrolized collagen and it is amazing! My skin hair and joints are so much better. Would never take anything else but his quality products. 

Respected Contributor

I see Andrew Lessman's Secure meal replacement drink has 7g of marine collagen. I know it's designed for meal replacement for weight loss but can it be used instead of a collagen supplement?

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Trusted Contributor

@granddi wrote:

........and my gut is not happy! Anyone else had tolerance issues with collagen supplements? 

@granddi What is it with collagen supplements? I have tried several (Vital Proteins, etc) and had to stop taking them every time. They cause me major stomach upset.

Respected Contributor

@LuvSoCal wrote:

@granddi wrote:

........and my gut is not happy! Anyone else had tolerance issues with collagen supplements? 

@granddi What is it with collagen supplements? I have tried several (Vital Proteins, etc) and had to stop taking them every time. They cause me major stomach upset.

I have the same problem! I take Consult Beaute(Dr. DuBrow)Colla-Holla or Alaya. Both cause me tummy discomfort and gas. Any suggestions? What about Andrew Lessmans Secure Meal replacement? It contains 7 grams of Collagen.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Super Contributor

Try Andrew lessman's you will never have stomach upset ever!

Trusted Contributor

I have used Vital Proteins powder (unflavored) for over a year and have never had any issues.