Valued Contributor

Re: Spironolactone, anyone taking it?

I have been taking Spironolactone for many many years.  Maybe 20 for excess hair growth.  I developed Stage 1 Breast cancer about 8 years ago and my doctor took me off.  I was off for about 6 years and just started taking it again.  strictly for excess hair growth.  Seems to be working good.  It is a miracle for that 

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Crystaltree:

"You should Google it.  It comes with a slew of side effects and complications.  It's an old drug but I remember my mom took it for hypertension many years ago.  Her doctor took her off of it because she experienced hair loss".

It's just the opposite. It promotes hair growth.

It's normally used to treat swelling, high blood pressure, and potassium deficiency. But because Aldactone acts as an anti-androgen, it can help when women are experiencing hair loss due to higher levels of androgens. ... But it can help the thinning hairs become thicker and fuller.

They used to give it to women who had excessive facial hair, it retarded hair growth for some of those women.  Nothing in medicine is as clear cut and constant as you think it is.   A drug that causes one thing in one group of people often causes the exact opposite in another group of people.  That's because no two human bodies are exactly the same. That's why there are so many drugs that treat the same diseases. 

Respected Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

DH got it as one of 3 new meds from his cardiologist this month.  After taking it a few days, he developed congestive heart failure.  Doctor said it was not the RX ( a diuretic ) but the coincidental start of another heart condition...A-Fib.

He will have cardiac catherization on 12/26.  He is no longer taking Spironolactione: on a strong dose of Lasix.

@jlkz

Hope your husband will be better.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I take half of one pill but not all the time as I'm not a good pill taker. 

The cardiologist prescribes it for me for my Congestive Heart Failure. 

Haven't noticed any problem with my hair. 

@Puzzle Piece

You really should  be taking your medication!  Congestive heart failure can flare up, and no doubt that's something you DON'T want!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

I did notice that my blood pressure reading have been greatly improved, and I feel better. I dissagree that people don't know when their blood pressure is off. I had been taken off of a stronger diarectic and a blood pressure pill, and was kept on Spironolactone and it seems to be okay for my system so far. I have been on it for about 2 monthsand my hair was thinning some from my thyroid being off and I change my  new Doctor finally changed my thyroid meds and I finally feel like me after about 5 years.Pray with me that I continue to improve. My hair finall feels thicker also.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been taking it for 15 or more years.  My endocrinologist put me on it along with other BP meds to help with hair loss from thyroid issues.  No side effects for me.  Also, I have very low potassium, so it is good for me!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jlkz  thinking of you & your husband as I read this earlier tonight. My husband was diagnosed with Atrial-fib a few months ago, he had a mitral valve repair 10 yrs ago, & did well until this developed. He now takes Xarelto, as well as Spirolactone for the Afib..sure hope all goes well with future testing for your husband.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Evie2004

12/31 DH has the TEE test.  Hopefully there won’t be a blood clot behind the atrium so that valve repair or replacement can occur.  He is on Eliquis and Lasix.

It seems as though the A-fib came out of nowhere and is constant.

He has exercised 6 days/ week for years and has 12 stents which are still working as determined by the cardiac catherization last week.

Very difficult time now.  Hope all goes well for our DHs.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Evie2004

The TEE test showed there was a blood clot.  Now we wait for the Eliquis to dissolve it and recheck in one month.

Hope 2019 brings us all better health !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill