Esteemed Contributor

Re: So distressed about weight gain.

I was holding on to my weight... no matter what I did it was the same day after day. So after looking at myself in the mirror and looking at all my pictures over time I made up my mind that I was not going to let a SET POINT get to me.

1. Thyroid out of whack. Lower than normal range. Got thyroid medicine

2. Increased my activity.... more dancing... more yard work.. more house work.. more moving around. (I don't like formal machine like exercise... BORING)

3. Bought Fitbit at Costco... and I wear it to track steps and sync it with........

4. Myfitnesspal.com (free) tracking diet program... can even scan packages of food

5. With doctors help (insurance pays) am going to a dietician. I need to be on about 1000 calories a day that can be "bought back" by exercise. I am five feet tall 1000 calorie limit is a fallacy. I can go that low and not hurt OR stifle my metabolism

6. Cut out desserts (most of them anyway)

7. Eat fruits and veggies AT EVERY MEAL

8. Eat what I want as in fish and chicken (I don't eat beef anyway)

9. Limit carbs as in bread, rolls, pasta

10. NO HEAVY USE OF SUGAR SUBSTITUES... MAKES ME CRAVE SUGAR AND SETS ME UP FOR HUNGER AND MORE HUNGER.

11. THINKING POSITIVE AND ENJOYING THE COMPLIMENTS..... 23 WHOLE POUNDS DOWN... SLOWLY... NO CRAVING...

This is what works for me. No crazy diet. No machines to exercise. And lot of tracking and kind caring encouragement of others.

Honored Contributor

Have you started taking a new medicine recently? A couple of years ago I started taking something new and immediately gained 15 lbs. When I finally realized what was happening and why it was happening, I was able to lose it, but it was a real shock to gain that much weight so quickly. I hope you get to the bottom of what's going on soon.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I second the thumbs down on hcg with regard to thyroid and metabolism.
Super Contributor

Hang in there, AGV--you are certainly taking good steps toward finding out what is going on and seeking support via these boards. Try not to be too hard on yourself--easier said than done, I am sure. One thing at a time, take deep breaths, and just do what you can. Until you meet with your doctor and explore further any medical issues, it may be best to take things easy and give your body the rest it needs. Best wishes to you and please keep us updated as you are able!

Regular Contributor

You need to get a complete blood work up and be a real advocate for yourself. You could be gaining weight due to something else and NOT what your eating. And you are a beautiful person, so, don't be so hard on yourself! Get your blood checked, and rule out any underlining health issues. You are gorgeous, and just may need to tweek your diet a bit, and amp up some more exercise during the week - 20 min. of walking a day is good start! Smiley Happy. (Hugs)
Honored Contributor

You might be having thyroid problems. My family (daughters) and friends who have had thyroid issues (I just had mine removed) never had their T-level drop below lowest normal.

You need to go by what's happening to your body. I kept being told I was OK, I kept insisting I wasn't. Finally I was sent to an Endochronologist (I still have trouble spelling it).

He ran other tests than just the dumb ones regular Drs run. Long story short my daughter had 1/2 of her's removed, my other daughter is going to have some of her's removed. I've met so many women (the surgeon told me yesterday 8 women compared to 1 male have thyroid problems).

Get it checked out by someone OTHER than a regular Dr or have him run some of the same tests Endo Drs run.

I was sooooo tired, never felt good, it was terrible. I lost weight and feel so much better.

Please get it checked.

Valued Contributor

my own, personal truth is: if I eat a lot, I gain weight. I'm not dismissing a medical cause, but overeating is my sole cause of weight gain . I do have thyroid problems, hypothyroid, but I take Synthroid. It's still my responsibility to eat cautiously.
Respected Contributor

I am on full thyroid replacement with Synthroid. I am hopeful that this is just a matter of eating too much and not a health issue. Once we rule out any health problems, I am going to resume my low carb eating plan and get the weight off...AGAIN
Respected Contributor

Like others have said, first be sure there is not a medical reason and then I would try to be accountable for everything I eat. I weigh myself daily - no sudden surprises! Hope you can figure out what is the matter and good luck and health to you in the new year.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes medication changes will cause weight gain. Before being so hard on yourself look into that.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....