Trusted Contributor

Re: So bummed about my weight

I had a friend who was going to start some crazy low calorie (around 500 cals/day) and low fat diet.  Because she has over 100 lbs. to lose, it cost her $2800.  She wound up calling her doctor about a sinus issue she was having and then told him about this diet.  He told her NOT to go on the diet because eating that low in calories is dangerous, especially because she has diabetes and other health issues.  

Diets NEVER work.  Just eat sensibly and exercise.  It's not hard.  I lost over 100 pounds many years ago and have sustained my weight loss.  Stay away from extreme diets.  If you have to cut many fruits, veggies, meats, dairy, etc. out of your diet for a diet, then it's not sustainable in the long run.  

Respected Contributor

Update: 

Seven pounds gone 🥳

I'm in a comfortable rhythm.

My eating pattern is consistent. 
I have not eliminated any food groups except for junk food. 
Sweet tooth is satisfied by a daily four-fruit non dairy smoothie. 
I'm vigilant about portions. 
We ate out last night- I had a six oz sirloin (took 2oz home for the pups), sides of steamed broccoli and carrots. One dinner roll. Two glasses of Pinot Noir. The wine was my big splurge. Otherwise I don't drink anything but water and diet pop. 
My clothes are looser, fitting better. 
I will be super excited when I can see a reduction in my necks. 😂

Of note, my overweight hubby is eating less. I told him I would no longer be buying ice cream and chips. He was quite agreeable. I periodically keep him posted on how I'm doing but I don't talk about it a lot. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@Qshopper1991  I totally agree about eating sensibly. I'm doing this in a way that is safe and healthy. Your friend wanted the fast results, who doesn't! 
With so much weight to lose, she might benefit from a structured program, like a plan designed by a registered dietitian. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update: continuing my weight loss at a very slow, steady pace. I've lost eight pounds since I first posted about this on Aug 9. 
I don't miss the way I used to eat or the way I used to feel. 

Huge bonus: I had my every six month check up with my internist on Sept 13. He orders labs every time; Lipid profile , CBC, chem panel. Lipid profile is of utmost importance because of my extremely scary family cardiac history. My values have remained within normal limits for several years although closer to the outer limit. 
This week, everything was dramatically improved. My triglycerides dropped from 166 to 103. Remarkable! Total cholesterol went from 197 to 160. My HDL (the good cholesterol) went way up. LDL, the bad cholesterol went way down. Ratio went from 4.3 to 2.3. Your ratio of total cholesterol to HDL is a critical indicator for heart disease. Ideally it should be between 2-3. 
My doctor was amazed. He was pleased with my weight loss. Even my BP was at an all time low, 114/63. I told him the only thing I've done differently is to eat a much healthier diet, giving up all sweets and junk food. 
He said a lot of his patients don't believe that dietary changes and some weight loss can make a difference. 
This was the most motivating experience I've had in a while. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

Honored Contributor

Your post breaks my heart. As a child/teen I was starved and weighed at least twice a day so I would be model thin. I was a size 5 and someone said to me if I could lose 5 lbs I would be perfect. Of course,I developed eating disorders.

All this advice is not good. Perhaps you need to keep a food diary to see what your triggers are.

I know a family that was obsessed w/weight

I believe it was their obsession that killed one of their members. 

I have no advice for you. Love yourself. Be kind to yourself.

And maybe you need a fatter doctor.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother - consider this a Healthier Lifestyle. Shop the perimeter of your grocery store. Make a list and stick to it. If  you absolutely need something down an aisle, leave your cart and walk to said item and back.

Get moving! Yes, it is so much easier to say I'll start tomorrow - but you need to get your body moving. Every.Single.Day.

See if your insurance covers a Silver Slippers program at a local gym. Or find a Y to join.

Good Luck

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Your post breaks my heart. As a child/teen I was starved and weighed at least twice a day so I would be model thin. I was a size 5 and someone said to me if I could lose 5 lbs I would be perfect. Of course,I developed eating disorders.

All this advice is not good. Perhaps you need to keep a food diary to see what your triggers are.

I know a family that was obsessed w/weight

I believe it was their obsession that killed one of their members. 

I have no advice for you. Love yourself. Be kind to yourself.

And maybe you need a fatter doctor.

Are you referring to me? Why is my gradual weight loss and healthy lifestyle breaking your heart? My BMI was in the overweight range. I only plan to lose 15-20 pounds. I'm not obsessed with food or eating. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

Update: continuing my weight loss at a very slow, steady pace. I've lost eight pounds since I first posted about this on Aug 9. 
I don't miss the way I used to eat or the way I used to feel. 

Huge bonus: I had my every six month check up with my internist on Sept 13. He orders labs every time; Lipid profile , CBC, chem panel. Lipid profile is of utmost importance because of my extremely scary family cardiac history. My values have remained within normal limits for several years although closer to the outer limit. 
This week, everything was dramatically improved. My triglycerides dropped from 166 to 103. Remarkable! Total cholesterol went from 197 to 160. My HDL (the good cholesterol) went way up. LDL, the bad cholesterol went way down. Ratio went from 4.3 to 2.3. Your ratio of total cholesterol to HDL is a critical indicator for heart disease. Ideally it should be between 2-3. 
My doctor was amazed. He was pleased with my weight loss. Even my BP was at an all time low, 114/63. I told him the only thing I've done differently is to eat a much healthier diet, giving up all sweets and junk food. 
He said a lot of his patients don't believe that dietary changes and some weight loss can make a difference. 
This was the most motivating experience I've had in a while. 

That's great @fairydogmother! Brava!

It's not easy to lose weight and keep it off. It requires making changes that you are willing to keep for the rest of your life. That's something many are unwilling to do. I'm really glad for you that you have figured out some methods you can live with long term.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@fairydogmother - consider this a Healthier Lifestyle. Shop the perimeter of your grocery store. Make a list and stick to it. If  you absolutely need something down an aisle, leave your cart and walk to said item and back.

Get moving! Yes, it is so much easier to say I'll start tomorrow - but you need to get your body moving. Every.Single.Day.

See if your insurance covers a Silver Slippers program at a local gym. Or find a Y to join.

Good Luck

I already grocery shop in a specific way that encourages healthy choices and discourages impulse buying. I'm exercising for an hour three times a week in physical therapy. When that ends, I'll go back to Planet Fitness where i have a membership. My insurance doesn't cover the Silver Sneakers program. But Planet fitness isn't expensive. 

Harmonize the World