Honored Contributor

Sinus issues, advice welcome!

I have had a sinus issue for quite a long while...one side of my nose is swollen..all the time...the other side is not. I wake up often in the middle of the night or in the morning with a headache, with pressure the sinus.  I do not see any pattern to the headaches...the sinus (side of my nose) is always swollen.

I have seen 2 ENT's one told me my nose was not swollen...but he could not bother to get up and take a closer look at me, the other ENT told me to see an allergist.

I did go to a naturalpath...she gave me a bunch of pills that did nothing for me, I spent $130.00 with no relief.

I do use a netti pot..but that does not seem to help. My family doctor ordered an MRI about a year ago, that came back OK.

I have not seen an allergist, possibly I am wrong but I don't think this is an allergy and I really don't want to get pricked all over my back......does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: Sinus issues, advice welcome!

Unfortunately, I don't have much advice.  Hoping to ride your coat tail and see if any advice you receive might help me.  I have chronic sinus problems, even had surgery to remove polyps and still cannot breathe.  My sense of smell is all but gone.  I do find sleeping with a vaporizer or humidifier in the bedroom helps with the headaches in the morning.  If the dr finds it to be an infection the only thing that gave me relief was Prednisone.  Unfortunately only temporary.  Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving🦃

Respected Contributor

Have you tried an over the counter steroid spray like Flonase or Nasonex?

Occasional Contributor

I have had some of the same issues. I found using astelin nose spray, which is a,prescription in the am and Flonase in the pm  to be helpful.  Also avoid irritants such as ceiling fans, cigarette smoke, strong odors, etc. 

Respected Contributor

It might be your mattress.  I used to wake  the night, with a plugged nose, & it was always plugged up in the morning, even though I used a neti pot before bedtime.  This just came up this year, so I tried to figure out what changed in my life that could have caused it.  Ah Ha!  I moved last Dec & got a new bed.  So, I got a hypoallergenic mattress encasement for $22 at Amazon.  It's a complete mattress cover that encases the entire mattress & has a zipper.  Sort of like a giant pillowcase.  A side benefit is that bedbugs can't get in.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

You could try an OTC med. called "Contac".... It has helped me in the recent past.

Many, many years ago, I had a terrible sinus attack where my nose was so stuffed, I couldn't talk, I had severe headaches, etc.  I went to my doctor and told him I took everything available and he told me I didn't take the right thing.  He then prescribed "Ornade", which worked like a miracle.  It is/was a time-release capsule and practically cured me overnight.

I don't know if it's still available or there is an OTC medication similar to Ornade, but if there is, you could try that......  Ask a Pharmacist.  They are very smart.......

Esteemed Contributor

My sister had to have sinus surgery after many tests (some painful), mri, cat scans and steroids.  It may have taken 9 months to a year before the doctor said surgery was needed.  I think it was polyps.  I'm not sure any more.  Now she uses a netti pot daily. The netti pot did not help before the surgery.

It was terrible for her.

Honored Contributor

It could be an allergy.  I'd try one third or one half of a pink Benedryl pill, see if there's relief.  The straight allergy kind, not the one with added meds for this and that.  Somtimes folks have headaches, and other symptoms and they're allergies.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

I have had chronic sinus problems all my life.  Have had allery testing three times and results show an allergy only to one thing. Also had an MRI which showed no abnormalities.

I use NeilMed Sinus Rinse 2x day and have not had any infections since doing this and have less frequent congestion/headache problems.  In the '90's I lived on sudafed until I deleloped high BP, so I use now only when symptoms are bad and only one or two doses..  I also use an antihistimine and mucinex when needed.  I have used flonase on and off in the past, but allergist said to stop because it was causing inflammation of nasal passages.

When I have sinus congestion and headaches I have had some success with elevating my head and chest at night.  I also use a warm pack across my forehead and a smear of oil of peppermint under my nose when pain relievers aren't helping and inhaling warm steam. 15 yrs. ago I developed asthma.  So in addition to all the above I use a cortosteriod inhaler twice a day..

Don't hesitate going to see an allergist.  Being poked with needles is a small inconvenience to find out if you have any allergies and then you can go from there.

Good luck, you are not alone as you will find out from responses you will get here.

Respected Contributor

Hoping this does not jinx my luck so far, but for the last two years since I have been using the Air Innovations cool humidifier, I have had no sinus infections.  My doctor said that when the mucus layer inside the nose dries out and cracks, you are much more vulnerable to infections getting in.

Liked the results so much that I got one for the vacation house too.  I use them year round except when in FL because we have a humidistat there to control moisture.

So, if there are no polyps, humidifiers may help prevent the mucus layer from letting infections in.  Good Luck all sinus sufferers.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill