Super Contributor

Re: Sinus issues, advice welcome!

So I assume the mattress cover cured the problem with your sinuses?

Esteemed Contributor

Skip the pricey MRI and get a dr who will swab your sinuses. Then  they do a culture & sensitivity test. That will tell you whats in there, if anything.

My pcp kept giving me the same antibiotic, over and over. I got so disgusted I finally left. I found another dr who did this test. It was fungus and didnt respond to the antibiotic I had been given.

He sent me to a compounding pharmacy with a script for a nasal spray that was an anti fungal. Cost was a whopping $24 bucks after suffering more than a yr.

Honored Contributor

I use Walgreens Ephrine nose drops

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Ornade is no longer available here in the U.S. but it IS available in Europe.. Sooooo, if you are so inclined.......

Honored Contributor

@SnowpuppyMy PCP is leaving his practice the end of this year, so I tried to get in to see a new doctor...she is booking into May 2016!!   I will have to try and find another doctor.

Was it a general doctor that did the swab?  My issues just started up one day, no trigger that I know of and only one side of my nose is swollen. Sometimes my ears are plugged.

I really don't want to take medication longterm, but I also understand that sometimes you just have to....

Honored Contributor

It absolutely could be an allergy, since you've seen an ENT I'm going to guess that they ruled out rhinitis? That was my first thought as a possible cause. There is allergic and non allergic rhinitis. I have allergies but also rhinitis. I was diagnosed by my allergist with both allergic and non allergic rhinitits plus I now know what I'm allergic to. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Skip the pricey MRI and get a dr who will swab your sinuses. Then  they do a culture & sensitivity test. That will tell you whats in there, if anything.

My pcp kept giving me the same antibiotic, over and over. I got so disgusted I finally left. I found another dr who did this test. It was fungus and didnt respond to the antibiotic I had been given.

He sent me to a compounding pharmacy with a script for a nasal spray that was an anti fungal. Cost was a whopping $24 bucks after suffering more than a yr.

@Snowpuppy  Great advice. I've read where a very high percentage of chronic sinus infections are caused by fungus, not bacteria.  Doctors are feeding the fungus by continuing to prescribe antibiotics. 

Now on the other hand, good luck in finding a doctor who will listen. I tried that when I had one for about 8 months and they looked at me like I was from Mars, lol. 

You can also try to work on the good bacteria in your gut. Yeast overgrowth can cause the same problems. 

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom    One of the ENT's did diagnose rhinitus...but that is all he said......no treatment, nothing. What exactly is rhinitus...is it something that you treat?

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs---I have a breathing problem,like you.  However it is apparently as we get older something inside our nose falls, just like our face, it is not a polyp, nor a swollen sinus.  ENT suggested hydrocortisone to moisten, as spray doesnt work.  Neither did hhydro, just felt stuffier.  He then suggested I try a new product called AYR. Land o goshen, I felt air.  So AYR and BreatheRight strips work well.  My nose ALWAYS feels plugged and I get the headaches.  When I blow the nose, it doesn't even squak,nothing there!!  Give the AYR a try, along with breathe right( or whatever nose strip) and your nights will be a whole lot better.  I bought Ayr from Amazon, but it is probably in any drugstore. Comes in a tube.     Hope this helps you and everyone else--------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@jaxs mom    One of the ENT's did diagnose rhinitus...but that is all he said......no treatment, nothing. What exactly is rhinitus...is it something that you treat?

It's swelling which can be caused by allergies or not. It also be caused cold air, chemical fumes, smoking or other things. Since I have allergies, and both non allergic and allergic rhinitis I can't be sure if what my allergist rx would be rx for non allergic rhinitis alone. He gave me a steroid nasal spray, plus anti histamines. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval