Frequent Contributor

Has anyone here used these or anything like them?

I've been sick for weeks, months, I don't even know anymore. Is it Covid, a cold, the flu? Again, I never knew. I finally had to go to the dr for cough medicine, becuause I was pretty much coughing my lungs out, and that caused me to be extemely weak and staying in bed the entire time! 

Dr prescribed a cough medicine, that I asked for, only to find out nobody had it in stock, AND my ins did not cover it. The medicine, full price, was $43.29, and I refused to pay it. I never knew that there could be a medicine that my insurance would not pay a single dime!

Anyway, at the very last minute, I remembered Single Care, and I just got their card in the mail. I signed up and got a discounted price, only to find that 'some' Walgreen's don't honor these coupons. After many discussions, with a few Walgreen's, I got my discount. When I picked it up, it went from $43.29 to $15.69!!!

I learned so much, having to do this, but I'll know how to for ever more, if I have to.

Honored Contributor

@2Kittys.  Maybe you wouldn't have so much trouble if you let the doctor prescribe the medication instead of insisting on doing it yourself.  Maybe he knows something you don't.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Before I had my cataract surgery in 2018 my doctor prescribed 4 different eyedrops. 3 were covered 100% by my insurance but one was not and it was around $350 a bottle. I used Good RX and got the price down to $200 a bottle. Still a horrible price but still better than $350. This was a Walgreens.

Valued Contributor

@2Kittys 

Sometimes GoodRX is less expensive then our insurance copay.

Respected Contributor

I would have called the doc and asked him to prescribe something else. I've done that when occasionally they prescribe something too expensive. Many times there are suitable alternatives.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@2Kittys.  Maybe you wouldn't have so much trouble if you let the doctor prescribe the medication instead of insisting on doing it yourself.  Maybe he knows something you don't.

@Kachina624   I took it to mean that she asked her doctor for some cough medicine, not a specific one.  But then again, I could be wrong.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@2Kittys wrote:

Has anyone here used these or anything like them?

I've been sick for weeks, months, I don't even know anymore. Is it Covid, a cold, the flu? Again, I never knew. I finally had to go to the dr for cough medicine, becuause I was pretty much coughing my lungs out, and that caused me to be extemely weak and staying in bed the entire time! 

Dr prescribed a cough medicine, that I asked for, only to find out nobody had it in stock, AND my ins did not cover it. The medicine, full price, was $43.29, and I refused to pay it. I never knew that there could be a medicine that my insurance would not pay a single dime!

Anyway, at the very last minute, I remembered Single Care, and I just got their card in the mail. I signed up and got a discounted price, only to find that 'some' Walgreen's don't honor these coupons. After many discussions, with a few Walgreen's, I got my discount. When I picked it up, it went from $43.29 to $15.69!!!

I learned so much, having to do this, but I'll know how to for ever more, if I have to.

I check out both and print out the coupon that is the best deal.  Walgreen took Single Care, but now that you mention it, they didn't seem that happy about it.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I've been using Good RX for about 18 months and with ONE exception, all my meds are much cheaper than with my Medicare and my UHC supplemental.

I estimate I've saved about $200 on my meds, all of which I get 3 months at a time, each.

Valued Contributor

Re: Single Care or Good RX?

[ Edited ]

I've been very pleased with GoodRx. If you are in that predicament again, don't hesitate to ask the Dr if there's a generic or similar RX; or if he has samples or a coupon.

I had a pricey eye drop RX (Restasis) and was close to $600 and insurance didn't cover it. Fortunately, my Dr was aware of this and had a coupon for $10/90 day supply. 

It saved me A LOT on my epi-pen; as I needed it before I met my deductible. 

Honored Contributor
The copay on my regular meds is pretty reasonable so I never bothered with GoodRx. However, when I was seeing a dermatologist several years back, GoodRx was very helpful when purchasing prescription Tretinoin (Retin A)