Honored Contributor

Re: Shoulder Surgery

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia   Thank you I have tried before to get a housekeeper or Visitng Nurse and in all honesty it is very difficult. We are working on the work from home option at the moment and then if that does not happen we will find other options. Rehab is not an option he would never conscent.

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

Talk to your husband’s doctors about his post-surgery care options. They may have him go to a rehab facility immediately after he’s released from the hospital or they may order home health care from visiting nurses, physical and/or occupational therapists. Be sure you tell them about your own physical limitations so they know how much or how little you’re able to care for him.

If I remember correctly, he works for the Federal government. Although I retired from the Federal government over 9 years ago, at that time it was a strong proponent for working at home. Federal managers were very sympathetic in situations like your husband’s, especially if the person’s doctor recommended it or stated that work at home was the only way the employee could “return” to work until fully recovered. If his manager won’t agree, your husband can request an extension of his sick leave, apply to receive leave from the leave-sharing program, request an advance on sick leave or request approved leave without pay (this is a form of approved leave, not AWOL). The goal is to agree to a solution that works for both parties - your husband gets the time he needs to recuperate from his surgery and his manager helps his employee become productive again, either from home or at the office. Good luck!

@I am still oxox Please talk to your physician.  Give him a call, talk to his office and tell them your husband is resisting help and tell them you can't do it.  Sometimes the doctor has to step in and say this is the way its going to be. Talk with YOUR doctor and his. 

It's not fun, it makes people upset and mad, but sometimes life is what it is and we don't get to choose how we want it to be.  Your husband will figure that out I hope. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

When did I say he was ever resisting anything, he has decided to put the surgery off until he retires and can heal properly without compromising the surgery and his recovery

@Sooner wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia wrote

@I am still oxox Please talk to your physician.  Give him a call, talk to his office and tell them your husband is resisting help and tell them you can't do it.  Sometimes the doctor has to step in and say this is the way its going to be. Talk with YOUR doctor and his. 

It's not fun, it makes people upset and mad, but sometimes life is what it is and we don't get to choose how we want it to be.  Your husband will figure that out I hope. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox - I had rotator cuff surgery several years ago. It is a painful recuperation (and I could not take any thing for pain). Had the surgery in April and started PT about a month later. My arm at that point was still in a sling and PT was tough. Please encourage him to have PT as part of his rehab - especially if he wants full use of his arm.

I would also suggest he have several pairs of sweat pants and a couple of larger t-shirts to pull on. And start practicing with his opposite arm to do things - brush teeth, comb hair, eating, etc. 

The few things I could not do were drive, carry anything. Hubby would bring the laundry down for me and I could get the washer going then one-handed things to the dryer, lol.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 

Thank you and he is not fighting PT at all in fact the doc agrees we should put the surgery off until early May so he and I will not have to worry about the commute 

@riley1 wrote:

@I am still oxox - I had rotator cuff surgery several years ago. It is a painful recuperation (and I could not take any thing for pain). Had the surgery in April and started PT about a month later. My arm at that point was still in a sling and PT was tough. Please encourage him to have PT as part of his rehab - especially if he wants full use of his arm.

I would also suggest he have several pairs of sweat pants and a couple of larger t-shirts to pull on. And start practicing with his opposite arm to do things - brush teeth, comb hair, eating, etc. 

The few things I could not do were drive, carry anything. Hubby would bring the laundry down for me and I could get the washer going then one-handed things to the dryer, lol.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox Sounds sensible to wait til his retirement.  By May the winter weather will be over, it will be easier for you driving him, and less chance of him having a slip and fall outdoors.  And no work pressure.

Glad that was worked out!   Now you can enjoy your holidays.

Honored Contributor

Oxox, After reading this thread yesterday, I became interested in what the health insurance benefits are for federal employees so went to the website for this. I checked and compared multiple policies for workers. I was shocked at the benefits that federal workers do not have. I couldn’t believe that federal plans only cover a non disabled adult child that lives with you through age 22 when even the ACA Plans cover through age 26.  I couldn’t believe that there is on option to buy short term disability. I expected the opposite.

If your husband is going to be 65 or is 66, I strongly suggest you check the benefits he could get with the various Medicare Advantage Plans and the various Medicare Supplement Plans with add on medication plans. These plans exceed the coverage benefits I saw yesterday for federal workers. These plans have coverage for skilled nursing care facilities, home healthcare following hospitalization or surgery, and so much more. Just compare a few of these plans with whatever you have now and you will see what I mean. 

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox  So glad he is delaying surgery until he is retired.  When I read he commuted via public transportation (like me) I was so concerned about his shoulder being jostled.  Yikes.  Whew.  When the surgery does happen know that you have people here who care and will offer compassion & ideas.  That might help a wee bit with the stress and anxiety.  Wishing you and your hubby the absolute best!

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

Thanks we are all set with our Medicare coverage, as a Fedral emplyee his has the right to keep our current coverage. Our current primary insurance will become our secondary with no out of pocket costs, I have spent many days doing this research. Dleaying the surgery will benefit us in many ways

@Mindy D wrote:

Oxox, After reading this thread yesterday, I became interested in what the health insurance benefits are for federal employees so went to the website for this. I checked and compared multiple policies for workers. I was shocked at the benefits that federal workers do not have. I couldn’t believe that federal plans only cover a non disabled adult child that lives with you through age 22 when even the ACA Plans cover through age 26.  I couldn’t believe that there is on option to buy short term disability. I expected the opposite.

If your husband is going to be 65 or is 66, I strongly suggest you check the benefits he could get with the various Medicare Advantage Plans and the various Medicare Supplement Plans with add on medication plans. These plans exceed the coverage benefits I saw yesterday for federal workers. These plans have coverage for skilled nursing care facilities, home healthcare following hospitalization or surgery, and so much more. Just compare a few of these plans with whatever you have now and you will see what I mean. 

Honored Contributor

@riley1 @I am still oxox , I had rotator cuff surgery (compete tear) in June and started PT about a week later, and went for 9 weeks 2 times a week for 1 hr each time, and it was hard!  Yes, I was still in a sling when I started!  When the Dr. did my surgery, it was more intense that he intentionally thought, because I had lots of arthritis mixed in.  I was already taking Meloxicam, since I was still in a fair amount pain after 4 mos., the Dr. increased my dosage to 15 mg., which is the highest you can take, but it has helped with the pain.  I don't know your DH's age @I am still oxox , but the older you are the harder it is to get over the surgery, I am 70.  It takes about a year to get completely over!  I am not happy about taking the large dosage of Meloxicam, but it is better than being in pain all the time.  If I don't get better, the Dr. says I may have to have a complete shoulder replacement, which I am not happy about!

Honored Contributor

@Hooty 

So sorry about your recovery my Dh has a high pain toleramce and is a bit of a gym rat I have no doubt that he will do will in his recovery and PT

@Hooty wrote:

@riley1 @I am still oxox , I had rotator cuff surgery (compete tear) in June and started PT about a week later, and went for 9 weeks 2 times a week for 1 hr each time, and it was hard!  Yes, I was still in a sling when I started!  When the Dr. did my surgery, it was more intense that he intentionally thought, because I had lots of arthritis mixed in.  I was already taking Meloxicam, since I was still in a fair amount pain after 4 mos., the Dr. increased my dosage to 15 mg., which is the highest you can take, but it has helped with the pain.  I don't know your DH's age @I am still oxox , but the older you are the harder it is to get over the surgery, I am 70.  It takes about a year to get completely over!  I am not happy about taking the large dosage of Meloxicam, but it is better than being in pain all the time.  If I don't get better, the Dr. says I may have to have a complete shoulder replacement, which I am not happy about!