Honored Contributor

Thanks jewelfool for answering. I'm going to wait a few more days to make sure this cold is completely out of my system. No coughing or anything, but still a little stuffy nose. Could be allergies....

Shingles used to be so rare. The only person I knew that got it was a neighbor back in the 70's. Now it's one in three!?! And stress may bring it on. Oh boy......

Respected Contributor
My insurance will cover the Shingle shot at age 60. It's turned 60 a couple of weeks ago & had my flu shot when I had my yearly examine. They told me to wait 30 days after the flu shot to get the Shingle shot. I'm going to get my shot next week. Most insurance won't cover it until 60. I think they told me the shot costs $240.
Trusted Contributor
On 11/5/2014 Hayfield said: My insurance will cover the Shingle shot at age 60. It's turned 60 a couple of weeks ago & had my flu shot when I had my yearly examine. They told me to wait 30 days after the flu shot to get the Shingle shot. I'm going to get my shot next week. Most insurance won't cover it until 60. I think they told me the shot costs $240.

I got my flu shot and shingles shot on the same day with no problem.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Contributor
I had shingles over the holidays last year. I noticed an itchy, small rash below my underarm and took a photo of it on my iPhone. Since I was going to the supermarket, I decided to stop at their pharmacy and showed the pharmacist the photo. She told me to go to my doctor right away, that it was Shingles. I really lucked out. My doctor was in, which is rare over the holidays, and she had me come in that afternoon and confirmed that it was shingles. She told me to get the Shingles shot after the rash completely heals. I started her prescription that day and it was caught in time. I had very little pain and it did not spread. Had my Shingles shot this past Valentine's Day and will stay vigilant so it does not return. You have to act quickly with Shingles; so important!
Trusted Contributor

I am going through a bout of Shingles now. What an ordeal this is...stress for me was the culprit, had more then I needed (stress wise). I'm over the onset but the nerve pain is still there. So nice to read some remedies for this. Going to try the Tea Tree oil too. Mine is on my left side and in my hair, can't sleep on that side. Hopefully it will be gone soon. Not sure if I can get the Shingles shot, have many allergies. Thanks for posting this. Good Luck with your issues. I was given Valtrex, and that did help me.

Honored Contributor
On 11/4/2014 littleblueparakeet2 said:

I currently have it and it s#cks.

I went to my PCP last Thursday after I developed a rash on the left side of my neck 2 days prior and was told I was having an allergic reaction from a bug bite. I was put on a course of oral and topical steroids, neither of which helped. I started to get much worse over the weekend and ended up at an urgent care center on Sunday and was diagnosed with shingles; now on Valtrex.

The burning pain is brutal and now bands of small vesicles have developed on the left side of my face. I called my doctor and was advised to see an ophthalmologist ASAP as a precaution.

If you have had shingles, how long did it take for it to resolve?

Had my bouts with shingles for the best part of last winter/spring and this summer. At times it was not pleasant for sure, but I have had way too many things that were worse for me since the year 2002.

My biggest issue with shingles were my arms and the worst part was my shoulder joint area and the cervical and thoracic areas of my body. About the time I thought I had beat shingles it reared its ugly head again to remind me. "I'm still here".

While the topic rash was an issue with me, it paled in comparison to what it did to the area of my shoulders/cervical and thoracic areas of my body. There were days that even one of our felines leaning against my arm softly made me jump for the initial pain, akin to a strong electrical shock, as that is what it resembled at times.

At this time I am still not sure it will not pop up once again. Only guessing, but I would say it took the best part of 9 months before I felt comfortable enough to say "it is finally gone", even though I think I am kidding myself now.

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor
On 11/5/2014 momshan said:

Well, take heart, littleblue, as you see everyone is different. You may have a light case and will fend it off easier than some of us. I hope we didn't just terrify you. A lot of people get shingles and most will recover just fine. Follow your doctor's advise and get back to us when you feel better. Would love to hear how you overcame this.

No, you guys didn't terrify me. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I'm just getting back to reading more posts on this thread.

Well guess what? As of this morning, most of my pain is gone, vesicles are healing pretty well and the inflammation is WAY down. I couldn't believe it, considering how cr***y I've been feeling since last week. Yesterday in particular, I thought I was going to lose my mind because of the constant burning pain. I was getting pretty discouraged because I thought the antiviral wasn't working. Boy was I wrong! It's like someone flipped a switch. I'm still tired, but not too bad.

Regular Contributor

Hi everyone. I'm going to try my best to address all your posts individually, but if I don't get around to it tonight, please don't tar & feather me. {#emotions_dlg.lol} j/k of course.

Have a great night. Smile

Trusted Contributor

That's great news, littleblue.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

Does the shingles vaccine have to be repeated or is it just a one-time thing? I got the shot back in July when I noticed my pharmacist was giving them and my insurance covers it fully....my friend who is 42 is just recovering from shingles and has missed a month of work. I hope the vaccine works like they say it does.