Esteemed Contributor

Anyone know what this could be

I can't take this pain walking. I have to wait for a referral. My back surgeon doesn't take care of this.

It is in the back of the knee where it bends or creases. Anything you know would be appreciated. Don't know if it is a ligament or what.

Super Contributor

Re: Anyone know what this could be

Halfpint, it could be a number of different things. Here is a link to some of the possible problems: http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/pain-behind-the-knee.html Hope you get a diagnosis soon and that it heals ok.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

There is a fluid sack in the back of the knee. It often gets inflamed. I had it happen all the time prior to having my knees replaced. It can be caused from arthritis.
Trusted Contributor

You could have a cyst back there, I would check with your general practitioner and see what he/she says. Hope your feeling better soon.

Super Contributor

A Baker's cyst is a swelling that can develop behind the knee. It is filled with synovial fluid which is the lubricating fluid that is usually found inside the knee joint. It most commonly occurs if there is an underlying problem with your knee such as osteoarthritis. Symptoms can include pain, swelling and tightness behind the knee. Rarely, a Baker's cyst can rupture (split open) and cause similar symptoms to a deep vein thrombosis. A Baker's cyst often gets better and disappears by itself over time. However, there are various treatments that may help if you do have symptoms associated with it.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all very much. It is very painful walking. I sat and looked at Nik walk the wire for a few hours Sunday and then boom this happened when I got up.

Honored Contributor

I don't want to be the alarmist here, but it could also be a blood clot. I know this from experience. Don't wait long on this.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Hi halfpint,

I can throw out "might be's" for all types of physical maladies, but when they might be of a serious nature? Not something I do.

You do not have a GP? I don't get why a "back surgeon" would not at least look at it and tell you something. One of my best friends is a spinal surgeon and he knows a whole lot more about human anatomy than the spine.

If you are really concerned about this get thee to an ER.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

All possibilities stated above.

I too was thinking a Baker's cyst.

Possibly a blood clot

Possible peripheral vascular disease

A good PCP can determine these diagnoses.

Esteemed Contributor

halfpint,

The most concerning of all would be a blood clot. Another possibility is that your ACL (ligament), which is in the back, experienced a tear.

If this were me, knowing that this is in one of my lower extremities and that I really should rule out a blood clot, I would get myself to an ER or at least a good Urgent Care center.

Don't wait for the referral. Yes, go to the eventual referral, but you need to get a handle on this immediately.

God Bless.