Contributor

I was just diagnosed with shingles 9 days ago.  The symptoms started the first of October right after I helped my husband move a heavy piece of furniture into the house.  The next day I had severe pain, itching, burning on my right rib cage and it ran horizontal to the middle of my chest.  I figured I pulled a muscle or perhaps fractured a rib.  I just started taking tylenol and used the heating pad.  After a month of that with no relief or healing, I headed into the doctor.  He diagnosed me with shingles, although I never had any pustule outbreak at all.  He put me on gabapentin, lidocaine patches and voltarin gel.  He then said if I didn't get any relief from the meds, to try CBD oil/cream and see if that helps.  Well, today, I knuckled and went to Fred Meyer and bought some CBD ointment full spectrum and I sure hope it works.  

I had the first shingle vaccine and when the new vaccine (2 injections) came out, I got that as well.  You can imagine my surprise when the doctor diagnosed shingles.  I can tell you, this is the most uncomfortable I've ever been.  My hope is to get over this and perhaps I can wear a bra again!!

Respected Contributor

I hope you recover quickly.  I applaud you trying CBD oil.  I would also try coconut oil rubbed onto any sore areas, as well as Monolaurin capsules (medium chain fatty acid in coconut).

All the best to you.  Please let us know what works to relieve your symptoms. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm truly on the fence about this vaccination.  Let sleeping dogs.....

My elderly friend had the shot some time back but eventually got shingles - it was mostly in her head (scalp) and upper body.

I have not had one - and doubt if I will.  Just sitting in the back of the room for now.

Regular Contributor

What did your MD have to say about taking the shingles vaccine 2 times, the old version and then the new version, which I know you need to have 2 shots of this one? Discouraging the vaccine let you down. Bummer, totally.

Esteemed Contributor

I got the double dose shingles shots no issues for me. Had Shingles and once was enough for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SisterSisto : I had a mild case of Shingles in my early sixties; Nu Skin enabled me to wear my bra.

Honored Contributor

I went to the ER when I had shingles.  I was on vacation and my doctor wasn't nearby.

I was given an RX for the patches, which I never used and Valtrex.  I can honestly say that Valtrex was a miracle drug for me.  It worked to get rid of the pain and blisters.

If I ever get Shingles again ( and I hope that I won't). I will be asking for Valtrex. I worked for me within hours of taking it.

Respected Contributor

When I got them it was quire a surprise as I knew I never had Chicken Pox in my youth. I totally forgot that I had them when three of my children got them. I was lucky that sore were only on my middle body and not on my face. 

Honored Contributor

@SisterSisto wrote:

I was just diagnosed with shingles 9 days ago.  The symptoms started the first of October right after I helped my husband move a heavy piece of furniture into the house.  The next day I had severe pain, itching, burning on my right rib cage and it ran horizontal to the middle of my chest.  I figured I pulled a muscle or perhaps fractured a rib.  I just started taking tylenol and used the heating pad.  After a month of that with no relief or healing, I headed into the doctor.  He diagnosed me with shingles, although I never had any pustule outbreak at all.  He put me on gabapentin, lidocaine patches and voltarin gel.  He then said if I didn't get any relief from the meds, to try CBD oil/cream and see if that helps.  Well, today, I knuckled and went to Fred Meyer and bought some CBD ointment full spectrum and I sure hope it works.  

I had the first shingle vaccine and when the new vaccine (2 injections) came out, I got that as well.  You can imagine my surprise when the doctor diagnosed shingles.  I can tell you, this is the most uncomfortable I've ever been.  My hope is to get over this and perhaps I can wear a bra again!!

@SisterSisto, I am so very sorry you contracted shingles. I had them the end of May and now have post herpetic neuralgia in my temple and throughout my scalp. I was hospitalized with them as I did not have the vaccine and had a terrible time with them going into my right eye. I was told even if I contract them again that it would be a worse outbreak without the vaccine.

I also had iritis and a retinal bleed right during this time.. It took months to clear up my eye issues. I only tell you this because since you had the vaccine, you probably saved yourself some of the suffering I have had now for months. My physician told me that the vaccine is 90% effective in being able to avoid post herpetic neuralgia.

I am saying a prayer for you that you begin to feel better quickly with no after effects. Heart

Valued Contributor

@SisterSisto   My hairdresser's husband had shingles recently. He went to the doctor and took the medication he was given . He also put hydrogen peroxide on and it and that is what gave him relief from pain and blisters. She said it was gone in no time. They were both surprised. He is in his mid sixties.