Honored Contributor

There have been several discussions on this subject here in the wellness forum about getting  or not getting the shingles shot at age 60.  I wrote a thread about it several months back where at the time I was on the fence about  hubby and I getting it.....but after much research on my own since that thread  I   decided it was for the best  to go ahead and get the shot.  Hubby and I went to our local pharmacy to get the shot this morning and it was covered 100% by our insurance.  Now I can check off this from my should do list....  I have a long list!

Respected Contributor

I saw the misery of shingles and resulting facial palsy when my mother had it. I never hesitated to get the vaccine!

Respected Contributor

My husband and I got our shots earlier this year. 

My sister got Shingles 15 years ago, less than a week after she had her son.

She said whe would rather have gone through childbirth 10x rather than get shingles again!  And, she only had it on her knees!

I've known people who had to be hospitalized for it.

I'm glad we got our shots.

Honored Contributor

Losing my eyesight, right eye, as a result of shingles.  Shot? ?  ?  I guess they work most of the time.  Or maybe mine was too late.  Who knows?!?

Esteemed Contributor

I had the shingles shot. I know too many people who suffered after coming down with shingles. I did have a reaction for one day...aches, fever...but it soon disappeared and I'm glad I got the vaccine.

Honored Contributor

I had Shingles & still suffering from postherpetic neuralgia. It's been just over 3 months at this point. I'm sick of it. I have used all kinds of lotions & potions trying to find something for the pain. It's tolerable now but it's still here driving me crazy with the tingling, burning, numbing, sensitive to touch feeling on my left side, stomach & back areas. It moves around from area to area not knowing from one day to the next where it will be hurting. My stomach is still swollen. The thing that helps the most is the Lord Jones CBD lotion I bought. I have also been vaping Vape Bright Thrive pure cbd oil & a little something extra. I guess it helps me sleep since I went to bed at midnight last night & did not wake up until 11 this morning. LOL!!! At least I finally got some good sleep. I also bought Penetrex cream that I apply in between using the Lord Jones. I'm still using the light therapy pad I bought which feels really good.

Even after going thru all this after reading about the vaccine I'm still not getting it. The doctor did not even offer it which tells me something. I don't take any vaccines. I have not even had a tetanus shot since I was a kid in the 60's before or after we moved to Hawaii.

I'm a needlephobic & will do anything & everything to stay away from shots. I dread my yearly blood test to check my thyroid. If they don't get my blood by 2nd poke I'm out of there.

Respected Contributor

It won't stop you from getting shingles, but MAY lessen any outbreak you contract after getting the shot.  I had a small outbreak about a year after my shot, but it was NOTHING like my original outbreak.  I'd recommend the shot to everyone.  It's not something you want to get - horrible, horrible pain.  And mine lasted a full 30 days. 

Super Contributor

My doctor talked to me about getting the shingles vaccine and I told him I never had chickenpox.  He had me get a blood test and he was surprised that I was right.  At that point, he gave me the chickenpox vaccine and I got a booster a couple of months later.

Esteemed Contributor

My insurance covered the Shingles vaccine at age 50.  I got it at age 50, right after GS was born. In fact I got the Whooping Cough vaccine at the same time.   The vaccine for is 10 years.  In two years when I'm 60 I will get it again.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Your insurance covered it?  Wow, I didn't think it was, and I know it's over $200 for the shot.  May I ask what insurance you have?

Laura loves cats!