Honored Contributor

Suggestions please for supplements for allergies

Allergies are driving me crazy. I take a couple different brands of allergy medications and am feeeling no difference. 

Please and thank you for your recommendations. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions please for supplements for allergies

I'd be concerned if nothing OTC worked.  It might be more than "just" allergies.

You should ask your doctor to refer you to an allergist for diagnosis/treatment.  

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123  You might want to investigate Dr Neal Barnard, Dr. J. McDougall, and Dr. Robert Morse regarding allergies....they are all accessible online and by YouTube.  The information might give you a new perspective to address your issue and give you a new life..  Best of luck.

Trusted Contributor

Have you been taking the medications for long?  I've suffered with allergies for over 20 years and back then most of the current medications were by prescription only.  I know my allergist told me to be sure to start taking the medicine before allergy season started as it takes a while to build up in your system.

I'm not sure if that's still true with everything, but I'm sure you could research it.  I am allergic to many things and have found that the best I can hope for is for my medicine to make it bearable.    I use Similasan eye drops and Flonase along with Allegra and they help.  Nothing totally takes away the itchy eyes and nose unfortunately.

Good luck.  Allergies take some of the fun out of spring, summer and fall.

Honored Contributor

You could try Quercetin. It won't work just taking 1 to relieve symptoms. It seemed to work better for me when I let it build up some. Also need to start before allergy season for best results. Do some research & see what you think.

Trusted Contributor

allerRe: Suggestions please for supplements for allergies

Have you been tested for allergies?  I was on allergy shots for 10 years when I lived in Northern Calif. -- maintenance shots once a month until I moved to Nevada (desert).  Rarely do I sneeze at all.  My husband had allergies in Sacramento, but didn't want to get the shots.  He is really suffering here in the spring and summer and Flonase isn't really controlling it.  Sneezing, post nasal drip, etc.  He won't go see an allergist (he's stubborn).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

butterfly---I have seasonal allergies-aka hayfever  during the end of May thru June but this year its gone on into July too. I take the store brand of antihistamines AND  a nasal spray with it everyday that works very well.  But it takes a couple days to kick in no matter what the ads say. I use the store brand spray too. Have tried the " natural" products--they were garbage and didn't work. I want immediate relief and not willing to wait weeks for them to work.

Trusted Contributor

@butterfly123 I don't know of any supplements for allergies, but I take Zyrtec and Flonase daily, both which are now OTC.  The Flonase is what really works for me.  😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

What helped me the most was local honey. It sounds crazy, but I have little to no allergy problems since I started using it. I highly recommend it over all the OTC allergy drugs I tried. The key is getting honey made as close to where you live as possible. 

Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

What helped me the most was local honey. It sounds crazy, but I have little to no allergy problems since I started using it. I highly recommend it over all the OTC allergy drugs I tried. The key is getting honey made as close to where you live as possible. 

@lovesrecess That's not crazy, I had recently heard the same thing!  I thought I was just out of the loop. 😄

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt