Esteemed Contributor

Oh, no! Stay home and away from people until you get that super-duper shot. I'm so sorry to hear you're sick again. That's nasty stuff. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@vsm 

Thank you for thinking of me, that is very kind of you.  I never thought of asking about an option like that but will do so at my next appointment.  It never hurts to try!

Thanks again!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@SchippyLuv   What I am thinking is because you had Shingles once and then did the shots, it did not take as well as it should because you previously had Shingles.  Ask your doctor.  So sorry that happened to you.  Everyone case is different.  My aunit had Shingles and she said it was no big deal and was given anti-biotics.  I had both shots and so far I am okay.

Shingles is a virus. I don't know why a doctor would give antibiotics for that. 

Super Contributor

@ILTH  - Brilliant observation and suggestion. My doc recommended Vitamin D as well. So I've been researching it all week. It needs to be taken with adequate Calcium and Vitamin K2, which I already take, but I was only taking 2000 IU of Vitamin D. So I bumped that up to 10,000 IU/day, and we'll see how I feel in a couple of months.

Yes I know what I'm doing is controversial, but 10,000 IU is the equivalent of 1/2 hour of sun at noon - I don't think I have anything to lose at this point. No I haven't had my levels checked and I'm honestly just too sick to care...

Trusted Contributor

Re: SHINGLES ROUND TWO!

[ Edited ]

@SchippyLuv wrote:

@ILTH  - Brilliant observation and suggestion. My doc recommended Vitamin D as well. So I've been researching it all week. It needs to be taken with adequate Calcium and Vitamin K2, which I already take, but I was only taking 2000 IU of Vitamin D. So I bumped that up to 10,000 IU/day, and we'll see how I feel in a couple of months.

Yes I know what I'm doing is controversial, but 10,000 IU is the equivalent of 1/2 hour of sun at noon - I don't think I have anything to lose at this point. No I haven't had my levels checked and I'm honestly just too sick to care...

@SchippyLuv 

It's very dangerous to take megadoses of vitamin D.  No-one should, indiscriminately, take D without knowing if you have a deficiency and without knowing how much to take.

If you consider kidney failure nothing to lose. 

"Generally, 4,000 IU or less per day is considered safe, as long as your blood values are being monitored."

Also, it should be D3.

Respected Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

@vsm 

Thank you for thinking of me, that is very kind of you.  I never thought of asking about an option like that but will do so at my next appointment.  It never hurts to try!

Thanks again!

Please let us know how it goes, @Havarti .  In the meantime, you've got a lot of people here pulling for you.

Respected Contributor

@SchippyLuv wrote:

@SchippyLuvIf your doc recommended vit. D, he or she did so with a particular dosage in mind.  Don't take more than prescribed (yes, you'll likely be given a prescription), or you could overdose and cause worse problems than you already have.

Honored Contributor

@SchippyLuv 

I had shingles about 12 Years ago.  My regular doc was out of town, and the person I saw misdiagnosed me. After waiting 3 days I went to the ER and was immediately admitted, I was in house for 3 days.  It tracked from the back of my head, across my scalp, followed the optic nerve across my eye, and down my face. It was the worst pain I have ever experienced.  I was on pain meds for about 2 weeks, along with antivirus meds.

Since then, I too never been totally pain free.   Because I have Migraines, I knew a good Neurologist.  He diagnosed - Post  Herpetic Neuropathy.  So, in my case, the nerves are damaged, and will always hurt a some.  Not saying this is the case with you, hope it is Not.

Anyway, until the first shingles vaccine, I carried a bottle of the antiviral meds with me and started a round if the red rash flared up again.  My regular Doc is an Immunologist and has been a blessing 

When the first vaccine came out  I was able to get it, and have had no flair ups since, but the nerve pain along the path the shingles took remains.

Because I am otherwise immunosuppressed, I am not a candidate for the Shingrex vaccine.

Best Wishes to you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

@Drythe 

Yes, even though I've had the Shingrix shots, I now need to keep anti-virals on hand just in case. I even had a flare after the first shot - which everyone said was "impossible."

I'm feeling much better now after about two weeks of non-stop sleep. I'm still tired but the rash is gone and the pain is subsiding again. I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones who will have residual pain for the rest of my life.

I'm just grateful that it's not worse than it is...

Thanks for checking in!

Honored Contributor

I know two people who came down with shingles in recent years.  One had a single episode that wasn't too bad.  The other's experience was more like yours; extremely painful and long lasting the first time with subsequent flare ups.  I had the old shingles vaccine when I was 48 and I asked my doctor for this new vaccine but she said that they never  have very much of it and they are reserving it for patients who are over 70 or patients with weak immune systems.  I had my flu and pneumonia vaccines today at my doctor's office.  I'll get the Shingrix vaccine at CVS next month.