Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

And, @SilleeMee, that trek of yours beats the hell out of the treadmill!!

Yes, it does @QueenDanceALot. But I still use my tread on incline mode just to stay fit enough to do the real thing and when the weather is bad but it sucks in comparison.Woman Happy The last time I was up on the Manitou Incline there was an old man who RAN past me so fast! I was shocked to say the least. He looked to be at least in his seventies if not older....wow, inspirational for sure.

Being away from that beautiful area only makes it better when you get back to it!

Yeah, I hear you about those wild runners.  I was at a park with a friend a week or two ago walking dogs and a high school kid was running laps up a steep hill there over and over again.  And he was just a kid!  I am always amazed at the old guys who run like that.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@kelsey17 wrote:

I think walking is a better form of exercise....i have been told that by 2 docs over the years....running can be hard on the body, knees, etc.....even for people in good shape...my sister in law ran religiously years back and both knees got so damaged  she had to have medical procedures on them and had to change to walking...............

@kelsey17

Any and all aerobic or anaerobic exercise the increases one's heart rate is as beneficial as the other. For those that wish to compete in running Road Races, to increase your speed or decrease the amount of time it takes you to run a 5k or 10k, you need to run.

I've ran well over 100,000 miles in my life and my knees are just fine. While I did have an issue with my knee, it was not the Knee Joint. It was connecting Patella Tendon, which tabled me for almost 4 months. No way connected to a knee joint injury.

I attribute that to knowing the structure of my feet/buying the right shoes for my type of feet/doing every exercise known to strengthen all the muscles around, and supporting the knee joint, and using common sense and not over doing my training. No scope surgeries, no steriod shots, no anything done to my healthy, soon to be, 78 year old knees.

Right now my exercises consist of walking/riding recumbent bike and using a NuStep for my Aerobic Fitness? For strength and resistance training I am using a Bowflex and Total Gym. Stretching all muscle groups and connective tissues to maintain their flexibility. The longer I exercise, the longer I stretch.

For my spine I do many on the floor exercises to keep my "minus 3 lumbar disc back" from injury, and also more important is working all the Abdominal Muscle Groups on my Ab Lounge/Ab Roller just plain old crunches throughout the day. 

Knee issues can and are usually more common in the ladies. Most Excercise Physiologists say this is because of wider hips of ladies in comparison to the male gender. I know men decades younger than myself, that have never ran for exercise, unless forced via a teacher or in the US Armed Forces, that have had their knees replaced.

There are things one can do to protect their knees, but gender, and some genetics, can be more the issue with knee problems, than from running. Those things are proven facts over decades of studies by many in that field of Exercise Physiology.

hckynut(john)

Sounds like you are reaping great benefits from your exercise program.......i wish you many more years of healthy exercise!

Respected Contributor

Everything should be done in moderation - moderation, moderation, moderation.  My neighbor came home the other day and said a guy running had collapsed and they were doing chest compressions on him.  Can't overdo it.

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

According to the NY Times...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/12/well/move/an-hour-of-running-may-add-seven-hours-to-your-life.htm...

Some interesting tidbits from the article for those who aren't link clickers-

Running may be the single most effective exercise to increase life expectancy, according to a new review and analysis of past research about exercise and premature death. The new study found that, compared to nonrunners, runners tended to live about three additional years, even if they run slowly or sporadically and smoke, drink or are overweight. No other form of exercise that researchers looked at showed comparable impacts on life span.

...Cumulatively, the data indicated that running, whatever someone’s pace or mileage, dropped a person’s risk of premature death by almost 40 percent, a benefit that held true even when the researchers controlled for smoking, drinking and a history of health problems such as hypertension or obesity.

... the researchers estimated that a typical runner would spend less than six months actually running over the course of almost 40 years, but could expect an increase in life expectancy of 3.2 years, for a net gain of about 2.8 years.

I was a runner always until 60, @lolakimono. I think that's SMALL payment of 2.8 years longer after running all your life.

A cardiologist told me if you could walk 2-1/2 mps for six minutes, that guaranteed no heart attacks in the next five years. Now that's good payment for small effort.

Honored Contributor

We have 1 person in the neighborhood that is a runner and she never looks happy!

Esteemed Contributor

My husband's knees were destroyed by running. He wound up having to undergo knee replacement and had to change his entire exercise routine, so I'm not a fan. On the other hand, my exercise of choice is aerobic dance. Here's an article explaining why it's good for the mind a well as the body.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/well/walk-stretch-or-dance-dancing-may-be-best-for-the-brain.html...

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

I was a runner always until 60, @lolakimono. I think that's SMALL payment of 2.8 years longer after running all your life.

A cardiologist told me if you could walk 2-1/2 mps for six minutes, that guaranteed no heart attacks in the next five years. Now that's good payment for small effort.

@febe1

"A cardiologist"?  I have a problem with any doctor of medicine giving a "guarantee". If you want to believe this that is up to you. Any person that has a doctor that gives out a warranty with his advice, has a fool for a doctor, regardless of his Medical Specialty.

If your running until age 60 had a goal of adding years to you life, in my opinion, you were running for the wrong reason or goal. I ran long past age 60, and my expectations were never focused on how many years I would live. I listed my numerous running benefits in one of my other posts.

My decades of running, along with my lifestyle, saved my life, and more than 1 time. Did I live longer because of my running? Am still among the living and functioning really well at this current time, so my conclusion is, yes it did. Quite a BIG PAYMENT for my decades of investment, even though it was never the reason I loved running.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

My husband's knees were destroyed by running. He wound up having to undergo knee replacement and had to change his entire exercise routine, so I'm not a fan. On the other hand, my exercise of choice is aerobic dance. Here's an article explaining why it's good for the mind a well as the body.

@Vivian

No activity will destroy ones body without their cooperation. It is up to the person to recognize if an activity is harming their body and make the changes necessary. Almost all activities come with certain risks and each individual has the choice to decide if their benefits(enjoyment) outweigh the involved risks.

A synopsis of my knees after decades of running is in one of my other posts addressing a similar statement as yours in this thread. Did I suffer injuries from running?  Too many to list, but each injury had me seeking out reasons for my injuries, and getting solutions that worked for me, to prevent them.

I have never pushed anyone into running, nor say it would be a panacea for those that participated. It is one of many ways to get Aerobic and Anaerobic exercise, along with the benefits and risks.

You obviously have picked the right one for yourself and I say, good for you. Hope all goes better for your husband and whatever exercises he finds to satisfy his mind and body.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

People need to know what their limits are.

And if you run you also need to be strong enough to run.  Many people get hip and knee problems from running as their muscles aren't conditioned well to absorb the impact and their joints end up at risk.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@febe1

"A cardiologist"?  I have a problem with any doctor of medicine giving a "guarantee". If you want to believe this that is up to you. Any person that has a doctor that gives out a warranty with his advice, has a fool for a doctor, regardless of his Medical Specialty.

If your running until age 60 had a goal of adding years to you life, in my opinion, you were running for the wrong reason or goal. I ran long past age 60, and my expectations were never focused on how many years I would live. I listed my numerous running benefits in one of my other posts.

My decades of running, along with my lifestyle, saved my life, and more than 1 time. Did I live longer because of my running? Am still among the living and functioning really well at this current time, so my conclusion is, yes it did. Quite a BIG PAYMENT for my decades of investment, even though it was never the reason I loved running.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut, I loved running, too, and like you I wasn't running to live longer. I've always been into fitness for the purpose of good health, staving off disease, and the best quality of life possible.

My program throughout my journey has been strenuous, although I loved it. I guess I was just surprised at what I saw as a small payoff. I would have thought it would have been much more.