Esteemed Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@HonnyBrown  I would just caution you to keep your eye out for a blood infection. I had a similar road rash on my forearm and noticed about 5-6 days in that I had red lines going from the injury up to my arm, an indication of blood poisoning. Sure enough, went to the doc and he confirmed it, treated with antibiotics. Important to catch it early!

Oh no!  Maggie, that's horrible!

I don't have those symptoms.  I think the trail debris that got stuck in my wounds did more good than harm in this case.  It's been a week and a day and both wounds are healing steadily.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

Anytime!

I always keep aloe around, as it's great for skin irritations everywhere.

Use cortisone cream for the itchiness that tells you that your owie is on the mend.  8)

Hi groovy!  I picked up some aloe vera this morning at the drug store.  It was a different brand, a gel.  It soothed on contact and the itching wasn't as bad today.

I cut one of my husband's new socks open at the toe and put that over the gel and bandage.  It prevented the goo from getting all over everything.

That's great, honeybee!

You can also use a bandaid, depending on a boo-boo's size.

I buy the antibiotic ones with the ointment already 'built into' the pad, so that I only have one layer of "goo" to cover instead.  8)

Esteemed Contributor

groovy, I went last week looking for Band-Aids.  Having two teenaged step sons quickly depletes my home supply.  There were so many!  I needed the extra large, durable bandage and the ones that were left didn't have the built-in antibiotic.

Honored Contributor

Re: Road Rash Question

[ Edited ]

@HonnyBrown wrote:

groovy, I went last week looking for Band-Aids.  Having two teenaged step sons quickly depletes my home supply.  There were so many!  I needed the extra large, durable bandage and the ones that were left didn't have the built-in antibiotic.

They come in different sizes, honeybee:

plus Antibiotic, Extra Large 8s

plus Antibiotic, Extra Large 8's

plus Antibiotic Waterproof All One Size 15s

plus Antibiotic Waterproof All One Size 15's

plus Antibiotic Assorted Size 20s

plus Antibiotic Assorted Size 20's

plus Antibiotic, Decorated Assorted Sizes 20s

plus Antibiotic, Decorated Assorted Sizes 20's

I just order them online (usually from Amazon or Walmart), so that I can stock up. 

They're important to keep around for those times when an antibiotic plus protection is crucial or a preventive measure.  

This way, the boys won't deplete the family's supply so fast!  8)

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks groovy!  It turned out that the Extra Large bandages didn't completely cover the road rash.  It covers the deep gash, so that's good.

It's been over a week.  The wounds are pink, so tomorrow, I will start using vitamin e so I don't get scars.

Honored Contributor

Re: Road Rash Question

[ Edited ]

@HonnyBrown wrote:

Thanks groovy!  It turned out that the Extra Large bandages didn't completely cover the road rash.  It covers the deep gash, so that's good.

It's been over a week.  The wounds are pink, so tomorrow, I will start using vitamin e so I don't get scars.

You're most welcome, honeybee!

Good to hear that the crucial part is covered and protected.

In a pinch, you can always "Macgyver" bandaids side by side - or even make a square - so that a boo-boo is covered.

I'd recommend that you still keep applying (2-3 times/day) the aloe to the road rash.

The vitamin E will help the healing, too.

You're on the mend, girlfriend!  

laughing-happy-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif (135×135)

P.S.:

I also use them after applying bug bite stuff, as a preventive measure.

It keeps me from scratching the bite, too.  

Esteemed Contributor

groovy, I love that kitty!

The problem with the rash is that it took up so much surface area, for the first few days, I had to use gauze and tape!  The sticky part of the band aid would have been on raw flesh, no matter how I positioned it.

Aloe vera is amazing.  When it wears off and I bend my elbow or knee, the mending flesh feels tight.  My body's way of saying "More aloe vera!"

Honored Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

groovy, I love that kitty!

The problem with the rash is that it took up so much surface area, for the first few days, I had to use gauze and tape!  The sticky part of the band aid would have been on raw flesh, no matter how I positioned it.

Aloe vera is amazing.  When it wears off and I bend my elbow or knee, the mending flesh feels tight.  My body's way of saying "More aloe vera!"

*Glad she brought you a smile, honeybee!  Cat Very Happy

*Been there many times with gauze and tape as I'm naturally klutzy.  

*I keep a tube (or small bottle) of 100% aloe in both my purse and tote bag, plus a big pump container in the bathroom.

*LOL

*If only we listended more often to what our bods are trying to tell us...

Esteemed Contributor

Moron move: the road rash on my arm is healing nicely. The shallow parts of the wound are pink or spotted, and the long deep gash has a scab. 

The edges of the scab were peeling, so I pulled it.  This pulled the scab from the deep gash.  Gushed blood.

Yeah, groovy, it would be nice if we listened to our bodies!

Esteemed Contributor

@HonnyBrown, this may not be as moron as you think. When I had my road rash that led to blood poisoning, I went back to the dermatologist for a checkup and he got out this big scraper and I, perhaps a little too loudly, asked, "What's that for?!?!" He said he was going to scrape the scab off to make it heal faster and leave a smaller scar. I said No Way Jose! Not picking MY scab off! Maybe they don't recommend that anymore. All I know is I didn't wind up with a scar anyway. (Don't pick the next one. Woman LOL)

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop