Valued Contributor

Going to DS and DDIL's house for Thanksgiving.  They and their two kitties have ringworm.  I've never had this and the info online has surprised me.  I'm hoping some of you have experienced this and can calm my concerns.  The thought that the spores can live months on fabrics like couch cushions was quite surprising.  DDIL was visiting yesterday and was lying on my couch with visible lesions on her legs. I appreciate all the helpful thoughts and advice you can share.  Thank You.

Honored Contributor

@shy bobcat 

Ringworm is highly transmittable, are they being treated for the ringworm?

The treatment can be as simple as coating the ringworm (actually a fungus), with clear nail polish, it suffocates the fungus.

If not, you need to wash or shampoo your couch or any surfaces that were in contact with the lesions.

They're common here in the deep south (GA).

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

omg.....does your son and dil know how contagious this is......probably not....if she was on your couch with visible lesions.....i would say something.....

Honored Contributor

Isn't that Athlete's Foot?  Hard to believe it would live on fabruc.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Looks like it spread around the family, son, DIL, and cats.

What was your DIL with a very contagious skin disease doing at your house lounging on your furniture?

It's treatable, but it depends on whether you think Thanksgiving dinner with your son and his wife is more important than possibly getting a skin fungus that could take up to several months to go away. 

It can get in your hair, too.  Do you have any pets?  If you got it what are the chances you could spread it around to others?

Some things to think about.  

How to remove ringworm from furniture and the house can be found on the internet.  

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@shy bobcat 

The treatment can be as simple as coating the ringworm (actually a fungus), with clear nail polish, it suffocates the fungus.

If not, you need to wash or shampoo your couch or any surfaces that were in contact with the lesions.

Please say you weren't suggesting putting clear nail polish on the kitties.  Woman SurprisedWoman Wink  Some may actually do that to an animal.  On a person, it is their choice.   Hopefully they went to the vet and got an antifungal.  I hope this didn't come off snarky.  I didn't mean it that way at all~

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

Thank you @nana59  and @KingstonsMom  What you have said aligns with what I have read online.  The felines are being treated with an oral medicine prescribed by their vet.  My DDIL doesn't seem concerned and is treating her lesions with OTC topical fungal cream.  My son seems more concerned and has shampooed their carpeted areas but not the fabric on furniture.  I don't want to overreact but I am concerned.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Ringworm ...

[ Edited ]

70% rubbing alcohol kills fungus on surfaces as well as the surface of your skin. But it will not penetrate the skin deep enough to kill the fungus below the surface and that needs to treated with other antifungals. Bleach, when used on compatible objects, will also kill the fungus.

Most normal people do not get ringworm. Fungal infections occur mostly in people who are immunocompromised or are diabetic. 

ETA - Just to be clear...anyone can get a ringworm infection, healthy or not. The more exposure you have to the spores under the right conditions, the greater the risk for infection for anyone. 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@shy bobcat 

Please say you weren't suggesting putting clear nail polish on the kitties.  Woman SurprisedWoman Wink  Some may actually do that to an animal.  On a person, it is their choice.   Hopefully they went to the vet and got an antifungal.  I hope this didn't come off snarky.  I didn't mean it that way at all~

@tends2dogs 

NO! I was referring to the humans painting the ringworm with clear nail polish on themselves, not the furbabies!

The vet can give them a fungal medication to take care of them, humans can too, but it's not necessary for the humans to pay for a visit to their Dr. for anti-fungal medication, when clear nail polish will take care of the issue for humans.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  Yes, I believe you are right.  I was surprised that the spores can live up to 24 months.  I suspect as long as there is a food source they survive and, our skin sheds onto the fabric we sit on.  Seems kinda yucky!