Honored Contributor

@NickNack, it's worth looking into. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Restless Leg Syndrome

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

@Mindy D   @Bri369   Even though my doctor told me I wasn't anemic according to blood work I had done in March, I will call on Monday and find out how much it costs to have my iron tested.  She told me she would test it if I wanted her to even though insurance won't pay for it.

Maybe you were tested for anemia in March and the doctor is not making this clear.

Interestingly, besides anemia that shows up in blood counts there’s this hypothesis coming out of the RSL clinic at Johns Hopkins that says that those with RLS might have anemia that affects the brain and nervous system but that does not show up with blood testing for anemia. I was surprised when I read about this. There’s little research to back up this hypothesis, but there is some.  

From The RLS center website at John Hopkins:

“The single most consistent finding and the strongest environmental risk factor associated with RLS is iron insufficiency. Professor Nordlander first recognized the association between iron deficiency and RLS, and reported that treatment of the iron deficiency markedly improved, if not eliminated, the RLS symptoms.

✅Despite this strong association between serum iron insufficiency and RLS, only about 15% of the RLS clinical population appears to have peripheral iron deficiency (serum ferritin < 50 mcg/l). ✅To account for this, Professor Nordlander in proposing his “iron deficiency” hypothesis of RLS stated “It is possible…that there can exist an iron deficiency in the tissues in spite of normal serum iron. ”https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/centers_clinics/restless-legs-syndrome/what-i...

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Luvtuna wrote:

I've had restless leg syndrome for years snd "knock on wood" it seems to have gone away. Once in a great while it comes back. What really used to help me was MagniLife pills and they seem to be discontinued. They were homeopathic and I guess someone might have determined that they were't. The cream did nothing for me. These were advertised in the Sunday Parade section. I tried Hyland's  Restful Legs from Amazon and they did not work for me. Good luck - I hope it goes away for you also. Now it's the dry mouth that wakes me.

@Luvtuna My sister wakes with dry mouth, also.  It happens when she is eating too much sugar.  Just thought I would mention this.

You may be onto something there. Thank goodness I'm not diabetic. I'm always eating sweets...candy,cake,cookies etc. Maybe I'll cut back..NOT

Respected Contributor

My Mom has severe RLS -- her doctor has her on Mirapex (generic: pramipexole), and it has helped significantly, as do stretching exercises for her calves before bed.

But I'd have the blood test for iron insufficiency before starting any drug regimen.

Trusted Contributor

I've had this on and off for many years. I had very low iron but it's actually on the low side of normal now. My doctor gave me requip but after reading the side effects, I was afraid to take it. I'm terrible about new drugs. Thankfully, my rls is not all the time. It's a very aggravating thing, impossible to sleep when it's there. I hope you find relief soon.

Trusted Contributor

I have peripheral neuropathy and RLS, I take Requip 3 times daliy. Without it, I'd go nuts, I'm constantly rubbing my one leg w/the other, then switch. I've also had it for years.

Honored Contributor

Re: Restless Leg Syndrome

[ Edited ]

I've experienced RLS as an occasional side effect of medications, so that's something to be sure and check for.   

Even the OTC's can be culprits...  ironically, Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is often used to help us sleep yet it can also cause RLS.

It's the "sleep" ingredient in most of those "PM" OTC meds, such as Tylenol PM, Advil PM, etc., and in other products, too.    Doxylamine succinate in Unisom SleepTabs, can be a trigger for RLS in some people.   

It takes detective work.   My heart goes out to all of you who deal with this...  I know from experience how much of a problem it can be.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

I've experienced RLS as an occasional side effect of medications, so that's something to be sure and check for.   

Even the OTC's can be culprits...  ironically, Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is often used to help us sleep yet it can also cause RLS.

It's the "sleep" ingredient in most of those "PM" OTC meds, such as Tylenol PM, Advil PM, etc., and in other products, too.    Doxylamine succinate in Unisom SleepTabs, can be a trigger for RLS in some people.   

It takes detective work.   My heart goes out to all of you who deal with this...  I know from experience how much of a problem it can be.

@dooBdoo   I had read about Benadryl causing RLS.  Sometimes when RLS would wake me up I would take Benadryl to help me go back to sleep.  I quit taking it as soon as I read that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Andrew Lessman's Circulation and Vein Support eliminated mine.  Also helped my retinopathy in my feet.

Honored Contributor

FF0E219E-10CB-4739-9DA2-F7A3BEE46649.jpeg