Honored Contributor
On 6/21/2014 Nightowlz said:

I don't know but have heard many people placing a bar of ivory soap between the sheets & say it really works. It's worth a try if you are dealing with this. I'm sure you will get some more responses from people that actually have it.

I was about to post this also. The Peoples Pharmacy has lots of cases of the soap really helping.

Regular Contributor
On 6/21/2014 Nightowlz said:

I don't know but have heard many people placing a bar of ivory soap between the sheets & say it really works. It's worth a try if you are dealing with this. I'm sure you will get some more responses from people that actually have it.

Huh. I wonder why this would help. Does it HAVE to be Ivory or can it be another brand? Interesting (and worth a try).

Valued Contributor
My Mom suffers from RLS. She describes it as a creep crawly feeling and has to keep her legs moving. BTW, she does take Lipitor which is thought to cause RLS. She decided to stop taking it when we went on our last cruise (3 weeks). She stopped the week before for a total of 4 weeks and guess what? No episodes of RLS which we were on our cruise!
Esteemed Contributor

@Hellodemocrat wrote:
My dr prescribed Pramipexole tab. 0.125MG, one a day at nite. And it works.

I know this is an old thread, but also knew there was previous information on RLS on here. I am so happy to see your post. My Dr. just prescribed this today and I will start taking it tonight. I have been miserable for months and so ready for the help. I read the side effects and it mentioned weight gain. Oh, please, no. If anyone is reading this who currently takes this med., did you experience weight gain? TIA

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

When I was first diagnosed with rls many years ago, it was from lack of iron. Got that under control and it came back with a vengance. Doctor prescribed quinine. It worked. Then they took it off the market. I researched for days and many said potasium or magnesium could help. I started with magnesium....I take one every night before bed and I haven't had a problem since. You might try it? I hope you find relief...rls is no joke for those who have it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Restless Leg Syndrome

[ Edited ]

@poppinfresh wrote:

When I was first diagnosed with rls many years ago, it was from lack of iron. Got that under control and it came back with a vengance. Doctor prescribed quinine. It worked. Then they took it off the market. I researched for days and many said potasium or magnesium could help. I started with magnesium....I take one every night before bed and I haven't had a problem since. You might try it? I hope you find relief...rls is no joke for those who have it.

Thank you for your response. I have tried iron, magnesium, potasium, quinine, soap in the bed (LO). Even bought magnesium oil to put on my legs at night. Nothing worked. I have hopes for the prescription the Dr. gave me.  (<:

Spoiler

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Is it possible some of you may be confusing Restless Leg Syndrome with leg cramps, not the same thing. Some of your suggested things to try are for leg cramps, not the other.

Trusted Contributor

@Cat From TN wrote:

Does anyone suffer from restless leg syndrome, and if so, exactly what does it feel like? I think I'm beginning to have this problem - I get "pulses" in my legs and have to move them to relieve the feeling. I'm wondering if I have low potassium or if perhaps it's from some medication I'm taking? Any help is appreciated!

I have a mild form of it.  I'm not sure what you mean by pulses.  My legs literally move on their own with mostly mild muscles twitches.  Most of the time it happens when I am in bed and potassium is the only thing that helps. I only need a mild over the counter dose (recommended by my doctor) and only take it when I have the problem.  I wouldn't take potassium without checking with the doctor because it can cause problems if your levels are too high.   I have never  figured out what triggers it for me.  My Dad had it  also but his was much more severe than mine.    

Honored Contributor

To me, Restless Leg is just that, a restlessness in my left leg, primarily.

If I'm reclining, it starts after dinner/close to bedtime.  Never during the day!

If I'm sitting (like) at a kitchen chair....no problems.  When I lay down, no problems and I thank the dear Lord. 

If I'm driving, no problem, as a passenger---I can get it.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I thought the bar of soap was to prevent leg cramps.  That's what I always heard.  I guess I was wrong.  It sure did not cure my leg cramps nor my restless leg for that matter.  I have restless leg and I am pretty loaded on the medications that would prevent it.  I have MS and that was one of my symptoms a few months prior to being diagnosed. Not everyone with restless leg has MS but that was a symptom for me.