Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Here's hoping the shot does the trick! I've had a cortisone shot in my shoulder and OH BABY IT HURTS LIKE THE DICKENS!! The only one worse than that was one in the base of my thumb. Don't be surprised if the cortisone doesn't kick in for at least 24 hours after the numbness wears off.

I have had 2 of them, dickens isn't the I used for the one in my SI joint, but they do work.

Honored Contributor

Yay!  Yeah, do be careful and take it easy.

Heart

Respected Contributor

@cherry  I recently had the same injection for my shoulder.  I have a large bone spur poking into the rotator cuff, and ortho doc said I probably have a small cuff tear or two, but that could only be determined by an MRI.   In addition to the shot, I also went for PT.  My PT experience was fairly good and it has helped but ortho doc said I must continue to do the exercises I was sent home with 2-3 times a week (forever) if I want to keep the inflammation down.  He said if I didn't, I would be right back at his office from square one again.  So,  I have been doing the exercises.  

p.s.   I am glad you're doing better and back here posting..Smiley Happy

The shot and PT have greatly improved my shoulder but I can still feel it's there and do have a little pain but not nearly what it was. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Here's hoping the shot does the trick! I've had a cortisone shot in my shoulder and OH BABY IT HURTS LIKE THE DICKENS!! The only one worse than that was one in the base of my thumb. Don't be surprised if the cortisone doesn't kick in for at least 24 hours after the numbness wears off.

omg....i also had that cortisone shot at the base of my thumb!!!  i have a very high pain tolerance...but passed out for a few seconds!!

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

omg....i also had that cortisone shot at the base of my thumb!!!  i have a very high pain tolerance...but passed out for a few seconds!!

HORRIBLE wasn't it? I knew it was going to be bad but OH DEAR GOD never again. I'll deal with the flareups of achyness (sp) rather than go through that again.

Respected Contributor

Welcome back!! I'm so happy you are doing well.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

HORRIBLE wasn't it? I knew it was going to be bad but OH DEAR GOD never again. I'll deal with the flareups of achyness (sp) rather than go through that again.

my doctor told me he hated to give shots in that location!!  i knew i was in trouble!  never again!!

Honored Contributor

@cherry

Made me happy just reading your post. I hope the "title of your thread" lasts a long, long time. I am quite familiar with that word,"relief," and the feeling it can make in one's days.

My very best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Gald your doing better!  I hope you don't need any surgery best wishes to you @cherry

The only painful cortisone shot I had was for Plantar Faciitis...heel....that hurt and stung for 15mins afterward.  No warning of what to expect....just shove it in and leave the room.  The nurse finally told me it's gonna take at least 15mins to lessen in pain.  

Didn't work for out for me still got PF in both feet...custom orthoics and all...3 visits...big bill...I am DONE with it.  I'll try somewhere else but NO SHOT in my foot ever again LOL!

Valued Contributor

Glad you got some "relief"!Heart