Respected Contributor

Recovery time for hip replacement

I realize everyone is different but for those of you who have had hip replacement, about how long till you were able to resume many of your daily functions?  I volunteer at my library 3 days per week and I will really miss being there during recovery. I know that the Physcial therapist can answer many of my questions about exercise and activity post op. Right now my concerns are climbing stairs and being careful to keep my leg/hip at the correct angle the first week or so.  Hubby will be a good nurse but still...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recovery time for hip replacement

@bargainsgirl 

All my joints are fine so sure can't help you with this, other than pre surgery. The stronger all the muscles that surround and support the hip, it generally helps the recovery. 

Have you decided when to have this surgery?  

hckynut 🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I realize everyone is different but for those of you who have had hip replacement, about how long till you were able to resume many of your daily functions?  I volunteer at my library 3 days per week and I will really miss being there during recovery. I know that the Physcial therapist can answer many of my questions about exercise and activity post op. Right now my concerns are climbing stairs and being careful to keep my leg/hip at the correct angle the first week or so.  

Hubby will be a good nurse but still...

@bargainsgirl   

I had both hips replaced in 2014 and 2015. If you want EASY recovery have the ANTERIOR method of surgery NOT the posterior method. I was home in 12 hours of each surgery...up and walking with only a cane right away...very little pain.  Healing was so fast! Only used Tylenol, no pain meds required.

The posterior method is much more evasive and cuts muscle with huge incision VS no muscle cut Anterior method and only a few inches (2 inches for me)of incision.

some doctors are not trained to do the anterior method and do not offer it. Find a surgeon who will.

with the hips, no PT is necessary...just WALK. I had no PT at all with both hips. Just use them.   With knee replacement you need to get THE BEND thus PT is required 

Frequent Contributor

@bargainsgirl  I have had both hips replaced (1 year apart).    Based on my experience as long as you aren't climbing ladders, carrying heavy items or standing for long periods, I would think you could go back in 3 to 4 weeks.    You might need a walker or cane to help you get around, especially outdoors.   I vacuumed with one hand and dragged the walker with the other for stability!    It's not that bad!   The worst for me is I am a side sleeper and couldn't do that for a few weeks.   Became close friends with the recliner.   Good luck!!

Frequent Contributor

@SeaMaiden   I agree with the type of surgery.    Mine wasn't a true anterior, some procedure my surgeon does that enters from the side.    I too was home in no time and had very little pain, just some annoyance with the PICO dressing for a few days till that was removed.   It's truly amazing what they can do as out patient surgery!

Respected Contributor

It was 6 weeks and i did go to PT.  PT is nice because they have you doing a variety of exercizes. So you DON"T FALL and screw things up again!  You dont want a dislocation!   

Everyone recovers at a different pace.  I had to use a commode set on top of the toilet seat for a good month. It is a pain but gives stability also as you sit and then stand. You'll have the rain to steady yourself.  They don't want you to over- flex the hip joint.  - dislocation risk.   Compression stockings for 4 weeks. I could not sleep on my side for months. That was the worst. A recliner is a great "accessory".

Other than those things, with a walker and cane i could get around the house and out for follow-up appts.   My Ortho only does Posterior.

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

Hip replacement with a superb surgeon at a superb hospital is magic!  Walking is the best exercise.  Stairs are no problem.  A PT at home for a few weeks is great, but all exercises should be simple and without strain.

Bone Smart is a great site for information.  I had double at the same time, posterior, and it was pure joy!  

Valued Contributor

I worked in an IRF, intensive rehabilitaiton hospital. We would have post replacement patients in there. I recommend you consider doing an IRF after surgery for the 7-10 days Medicare usually pays. Try to avoid a "rehab" place that isn't an IRF as they do rehab light. Staff will help you with the pain and recovery, serve meals, and you'll do 1 hour of physical therapy, one hour of occupational therapy, and another hour of education per day. Staff will help you shower and dress. You'll know how to strengthen your body. I would expect 3 months of recovery. Driving will be a no no for a long while would be my guess. Look on medicre dot gov to find reviews of these places in your area. Take care.