Honored Contributor

Recliners You Can Sleep In

[ Edited ]

@hckynut  I didn't realize a post I just posted  went under a 2014 post till someone called it to our attention so I copied my long question and still would like your input.  Thanks in advance!

Thanks  for this post, John.  We are going to look for a recliner next week so I was so glad to see this post. We bought one not that long ago and while it is comfortable to set in to watch tv, it is not comfortable for me to sleep in...so we are on the hunt again. 

I need one that lays all the way back when it's my hips that are hurting and I also need one with plenty of padding when my shoulders are hurting and not too hard.  Are any of yours like that?  

After my open heart surgery,  I was so miserable because the chair in my hospital room was way too hard and I could not get comfortable the whole time I was there. The bed, too, was very uncomfortable. I NEVER want to go through that again!  Any info you can give me as to your favorites would be helpful. I sleep in a chair probably 75% of the time.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Recliners You Can Sleep In

Following 

Esteemed Contributor

Honored Contributor

I've looked around, mostly online, and it's hard to find chairs that fully recline.  It's usually just the very, large, very expensive ones for which I have no room.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Check out Catnappers. I've been know to unintentionally nap in mine. I find them moderately priced, and comfortable.

Also it's a family owned American company (Jackson Furniture) if someone wants an additional incentive.

Respected Contributor

@jubilant La-Z-Boy is my recommendation. I hope you have a store in your area. I had slept in mine for years until I bought a Sleep Number mattress with an adjustable frame. They have many styles for different body sizes. Keep trying them just like Goldilocks would do. One will fit. Sit in it a while before purchasing. Recliners need to fit just like shoes or bras. Wrong fit=uncomfortable chair.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant 

My husband is on his 4th recliner in 10 years; all name brand, fine looking, comfortable chairs purchased from a local furniture store we've dealt with for 48 years.  All of these chairs were between $800-$1000, no cheap chair in the bunch.  

Due to his health issues, my husband spends about 15 hrs a day in his recliner with his feet up.  He naps in the chair multiple times a day, but spends at least 6 hrs a night in the bed.  I assure you from our personal experience, chairs in this price range DO NOT have the depth of padding to comfortably support hips, back, and shoulders long term.  

No matter how comfortable that chair is in the showroom, daily use compresses the padding in the arms, seat and back, and when that compresses flat enough, my husband feels like he is sitting on the wood frame of the chair, which is when we search for a new one.  

If you intend to sleep in the chair, my suggestion is to look at higher quality chairs like BarcaLounger, and medical grade recliners (buy thru a medical supply company) that are built for comfort.  These chairs will cost substantially more, but you will have the type of chair you are looking for.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What would be different between an adjustable mattress and a recliner?  I am very happy with a latex mattress and an adjustable bed frame.  

@jubilant 

@RedTop 

Esteemed Contributor

I would think the difference in "getting in and out of" would make the difference.  

With a recliner, just sit down!

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

What would be different between an adjustable mattress and a recliner?  I am very happy with a latex mattress and an adjustable bed frame.  

@jubilant 

@RedTop 

@tansy   That's a good question that my sister has asked me!  She loves her adjustable bed frame. I got one and it didn't relieve my pain.  We even exchanged it for another bed which is a little better (not adjustable) but I still sleep best in a recliner.  

I really don't know why myself!?