Super Contributor

My doctor wants me to have Reclast intervenous!  Just the sound of intervenous makes me weak!  I was on Fosamax but my last dexa scan shows that I need more and that Foxamax is not working for me.  I know there are older posts re this treatment but I am wondering if there are any newer.  Any side effects?  Is it working for you?  I am presently geting steroid injections to put off shoulder replacement surgery, also weaning off prednisone for polymyalgia rheumatica!  Geting older is not fun!

Respected Contributor

@cddh I am not familiar with Reclast but your old age not being fun comment made me think of my mom's wise words.  Before she passed at 84, she would say that old age was supposed to be golden, but hers had been pretty rusty.  My mom had an aortic aneurism, gout, high blood pressure, a defribillator, one kidney that functioned and sepsis took her from me in the end.  Good luck with your treatment!

Honored Contributor

Prednisone could be one reason that your bone density is worsening, getting off it may help you to restore some of it or keep it from getting worse. . I have 2 friends that have had Reclast with no issues. 

Honored Contributor

Hi @cddh -

I'm sorry to say I did have that one year and got really severe stomach pains. I think that might be one of the side effects. It is only once a year from what I remember. Of course everyone is different.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Prednisone could be one reason that your bone density is worsening, getting off it may help you to restore some of i or keep it from getting worse. . I have 2 friends that have had Reclast with no issues. 

My doctor said exactly that.  If I get completely off prednisone, which I have been on and off for quite a few year for PR, I may not need Reclast reclast.

Super Contributor

I have taken reclast for the allotted years you can be given it,   No side effects whatsoever and nothing scary at all about the IV part.   I have small veins but they had no problems injecting.  It is painless and the 45 mins will go by before you know it.  

The question they will be most concerned about before giving it to you is any major dental work in the last few months.    It can rarely cause necrosis in the jaw bone.   But this is a very rare side effect.    

if you have any other discomfort, which I did not, they tell you to take a Tylenol or similar to handle it,   It's an easy process and much easier than trying to remember to take a pill once a week/month.

Honored Contributor

I used this for a number of years and had no problems at all.  I was very nervous about using this medication.  My doctor said this one would be good for me as I have a very bad stomach and he didn't feel I could tolerate all the other meds which are taken by mouth.  After a few years, he took me off as they don't like you to be on it for too long.  I am currently not on anything as he is just observing me.  I have shown some improvement, not much.  He will assess me again once I have another scan.  I know it is scary once you decide to try something new but obviously your doctor feels this will be helpful for you, but ultimately, you must do what your are comfortable with.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin