Honored Contributor

Re: Question on which flu shot to ask for

@SeaMaiden, I'm 73 and have just gotten my third ever flu shot.  I only started getting one because it was mandatory to volunteer at the hospital I pre Covid-19 volunteered at.  (They no longer allow volunteers due to the virus danger).   My mother, when she was alive, always got the senior shot and would be a little sick for a few days afterwards.  For that reason, I get the regular flu shot.  I go to a medical facility, though.  Can't bring myself to do it at CVS or Walgreens.  Are they medical people?

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@SeaMaiden, I'm 73 and have just gotten my third ever flu shot.  I only started getting one because it was mandatory to volunteer at the hospital I pre Covid-19 volunteered at.  (They no longer allow volunteers due to the virus danger).   My mother, when she was alive, always got the senior shot and would be a little sick for a few days afterwards.  For that reason, I get the regular flu shot.  I go to a medical facility, though.  Can't bring myself to do it at CVS or Walgreens.  Are they medical people?

@Mmsfoxxie   It does not take rocket science to give people shots.. like taking blood... pretty simple procedure.    So you do not have to be a doctor or a nurse.  Just simple training and probably some kind of certificate that you passed the qualifacations to give shots.

Contributor

I am 73 & have had the Sr. shot every yr since I've turned 65 & had not reaction to it.

Also, I receive my shots from a pharmacy & they are always given by the pharmacist, who altho is not a dr., has training in the medical field.  

Honored Contributor

@Jrzgirl, that's good to know.  But as long as I can get it free at my doctor's office or the hospital where I volunteer, I'll stick with that.  I can see, though, that there is a need for some to stop in at Walgreens and similar places.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

It's not like they are letting the cashier or stock person give the flu shots.  It's the pharmacist that does it.

Honored Contributor

Senior shot.  I had my first one last year with no side effects.  Had one yesterday, nothing but a sore spot at injection site.  Senior vaccine is running short in our area.  

Honored Contributor

I'm in WV, and got the regular flu shot yesterday.   My doctor ordered more doses of the over 65 vaccine than he ever has, and is already out.  His patients are definitely complying with recommendations to vaccinate early for the flu.