Valued Contributor

Re: Question on which flu shot to ask for

@SeaMaiden 

I believe when you turn 65 you will automatically get the senior dose unless you specify otherwise. That is what happened to me last year when I turned 65 in October. I was violently ill for 12 hours after receiving the injection. My upper chest muscles were sore for several months from continuous vomiting during those 12 hours. I almost took my self to the ER due to chest palpitations. I had extreme chills and a violent headache as well. When I discussed this with my doctor later, she suggested getting the regular strength flu shot from now on. I have been doing this for years, and will do that this year.

Respected Contributor

You may not have a choice, depending on your area of the country.

I'm not old enough for the senior shot, but when I went to Walgreen's to get my "regular" dose, they had several signs stating that they do not have the higher dose senior shots, they don't know when they will be able to get them, they're not taking names for a waiting list, and that availability elsewhere in the county is extremely limited. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Yes, get the 65 and over vaccination, you need it at that age.

From CDC.gov:

"A study published in the New England Journal of Medicineexternal icon indicated that the high-dose vaccine was 24% more effective in preventing flu in adults 65 years and older relative to a standard-dose vaccine. "

Honored Contributor

Get the over 65.  It's not about being sick or unhealthy.  As we age, our immune systems weaken and that's why they developed the over 65 flu shot.  Why wouldn't you want the extra protection?  I don't believe they will ask, that's the one they will give you unless you specifically decline it.  I was just 59 last year and I got the over 65 shot because my doctor's office had run out of the regular one and we expecting more in a few days.  I didn't want to go back and I agreed with her that  "a little extra protection never hurts anyone".  This year, I'll probably ask for the over 65 one.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm 76 and routinely get flu shot; been taking high dose for at least 5 years (got my shot end of August - no pain, no problems).I'm am very healthy for my age and get all shots as they are recommended; probably will wait for six months to get Covid shot/s once they're available (among other reasons, don't think it has been tested extensively on Seniors).

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have an appointment for October 26 to go get my flu shot. I wonder if because I am now 65 should I get the senior flu shot or the regular one I always get. I am healthy with no underlying health issues at all.  I would rather not get a stronger shot if I really do not need it.

I am just asking for your imput.  I know you are not Doctors.... Please do not ask me to go ask my Doctor and ask them bla bla bla... If that is your answer.. please do not post.  Thank you.

@SeaMaiden 

I don't get flu shots, based on past experiences, and certainly not a stronger one.  If I absolutely HAD to get a flu shot, I would get the child-size dose.   JMO

Honored Contributor

I just got the stronger flu shot for seniors two weeks ago. I have had a reaction to it the past two years I have had it, but it was not long lasting.
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have an appointment for October 26 to go get my flu shot. I wonder if because I am now 65 should I get the senior flu shot or the regular one I always get. I am healthy with no underlying health issues at all.  I would rather not get a stronger shot if I really do not need it.

I am just asking for your imput.  I know you are not Doctors.... Please do not ask me to go ask my Doctor and ask them bla bla bla... If that is your answer.. please do not post.  Thank you.

I am 84, got mine today, but didn,t take the stronger for over 65, neither did I last year.  I did when I was volunteering, but i,m not around anyone and live alone.  Your Dr. Can tell you, but last year my Dr. gave me the reg. One.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 71 and got the senior strength shot this morning.  It was at Walgreens, and nothing was mentioned about the senior shot being in short supply.  Came home and took Arthritis Strength Tylenol which is an 8 hr. timed release med.  Hoping for any side effects to be minor.

10/9/2020 Just thought I'd come back and add that I had no side effects whatsoever, not even a sore arm.  Shot was given by my friendly Walgreens pharmacist and I hardly even felt it go in.  That guy was good!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

I'm 80 and got the senior shot yesterday at my Acme Markets.  They did ask if I wanted the senior shot.  Arm sore yesterday, took Tylenol and felt ok.  Today I feel tired, little bit washed out but that's about it.