Respected Contributor

Question for Weight Watcher's Members

I just joined Weight Watchers to shed the holiday weight I put on. I seem to keep my weight under control better when I am accountable for it by weighing in.

I'm a little confused. They have that "Simple Start" plan now that you can do for two weeks. Then you can either switch to "Simply Filling" or "Points Plus." I'm doing the Points Plus plan. I thought that was the big plan that Weight Watchers pushed, but our leader told one lady that she was an@l for keeping track of all those points. She said she recommends the Simply Filling plan.

Also, do you recommend eating that extra 7 points a day...everyday? Our leader said it was for indulgences. I'm still hungry at the end of my 26 points everyday, and I'd like to eat the extra 7 points but I don't know if this is a good idea everyday. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for more veggies and fruit. I want some thing more substantial. I found that a bowl of Fiber One cereal with almond milk is only 3 points. That is really filling!

Any advice would be appreciated. I saw the other thread about low-fat snacks too. Thanks much!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Weight Watcher's Members

On 1/20/2014 Brinklii said:

Also, do you recommend eating that extra 7 points a day...everyday? Our leader said it was for indulgences. I'm still hungry at the end of my 26 points everyday, and I'd like to eat the extra 7 points but I don't know if this is a good idea everyday. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for more veggies and fruit. I want some thing more substantial. I found that a bowl of Fiber One cereal with almond milk is only 3 points. That is really filling!

Any advice would be appreciated. I saw the other thread about low-fat snacks too. Thanks much!

Hi

The way the plan is built, it factors in your ability to still lose even if eating those 49 weekly points (all at once or eating them as 7 each day).

You want the plan to be livable. You don't want to deprive yourself so much that you end up seeing a Dunkin Donut's box and eathing the whole thing.

Try eating a bunch of them (like 30) and see how you do on the scale. If you still lose, add some more.

I'm not a snacker, so I can't help you there. I eat meals, big and small.

As for tracking, some people hate it and some people love it. That's why WW created Simply Filling. Simple Start is directed at brand new WW members who have never done WW before because they don't want to track what they eat. That's why people like Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig because you don't have to track, you just eat their food. So with WW you eat food off the Power Foods list and you don't have to track it. If you want something off the list, you track it.

I have been a WW member since September 1999 and I have no problem tracking. It doesn't bother me, doesn't get tedious or boring. I wear my @NAL35 badge proudly Smiley Very Happy

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I am a past WW member. I am currently doing something else. But I'll give my opinions on this.

The points plan is more structured. I am overweight because I eat too much, period. I love the Simply Filling foods, but would eat too much of it. The points plan is the only one I would be able to do and be successful. For people that don't overeat but just eat the wrong things, I think the Simply Filling plan would work. So it depends on what type of eater you are.

When I was on WW, I ate my extra points every day and got to goal. You can try eating them and if you aren't losing weight, cut them out. If you aren't eating them and not losing weight, you may NEED to eat them in order to get enough calories so your body doesn't think you are in starvation mode. Everybody is different.

I gained back some of my weight because I slowly started into my bad habits again. It is a lifelong struggle for me.

Good luck!!!

Respected Contributor

I'm a Lifetime Member to WW.....I HATE tracking.

Truth be told, I think the new Simple Start is great......it's basically what I've been doing on my own since joining AGAIN (for the umteenth time) in Jan of 2013. I am also very aware of points too but don't track....hope that made sense. I try to stick to low point value foods. ....basically protein, veggies, fruits, dairy......and no white carbs.

It's worked great for me so far.....I've lost 70 lbs and feel great!!

The key issue for me is meetings....I haven't missed one since I went back and I have resigned myself to the fact that it will be a way of life for me.

Good luck with your journey....go to meetings....and don't be afraid to ask any questions.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

Yes, it's a lifelong struggle. I lot 85 lbs on WW and I have been successful at keeping 65 of it off for almost 15 years.

I love to eat, I love to cook and I love to bake. I will always have to watch my weight.

But it's worth it Smiley Very Happy

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

I just started doing WW this morning. Haven't been on for a while, but need something structured. (Lifetime member, but fell off the wagon). WW has worked well for me in the past. I need to write down the points. I'm supposed to have 22 points, but try to do 20 (Old WW). That way if I made a mistake, it's not so bad.

A lot of people are looking for "diets" that allow them to eat a lot of food and still lose weight, including me. I can't eat all the low carb food that I want and lose -- I end up eating too much cheese and meats. I will still watch carbs - I fall asleep eating too much pasta, bread, etc. Reality -- WW worked for me in the past.

I also purchased the Andrew Lessman "Secure" meals - they will be 1 point and feel like I have to have a crutch at first.

I know what to do -- just gotta do it!

Respected Contributor

VaBelle, I'm glad to hear that you track points. That's all I've heard about with WW. Then I went to the first meeting and the instructor made that comment to someone. I thought she was rather insulting the poor lady. I plan to track points too, so I'll wear my an@l badge proudly also! Congratulations on your weight loss!

Mima, I would overeat too if I did Simply Filling. I'm a fast eater, so I can really put food away if I'm hungry...and I did over the holidays. Guess I'm not self-disciplined enough, so being held accountable for my weight works for me. Guess I'll have to experiment with the points. Good luck with your plan!

Lotus, I can see getting to the point where you pretty much are aware in your mind of what you've eaten that day. I kind of incorporate the idea of eating low-glycemic foods in my food choices. I think WW kind of poo-poos that. They just say to make healthy choices and mainly power foods. Whatever works, I guess...! Congratulations on your weight loss!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

Seehorse, I'll check out the Andrew Lessman Secure Meals. Wow...I would starve to death on 22 points. I thought they told me 26 was the lowest, but I could be wrong. I know I crave the carbs too, so have been eating a lot of rice cakes and Fiber One cereal with Almond milk.

The pounds are coming off fast this first week, but I know it is all water...seems like I live in the bathroom. LOL! At least I'll have a good first weigh-in!

Respected Contributor

Thanks Brink.....I'm a firm believer in doing what's best for you and your body. Certain things work for some folks and others don't.

My philosophy? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

A good group leader is essential....I love mine....but, if any of you are not comfortable with your leader, move around to meetings until you find one that suits your needs.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

On 1/20/2014 Brinklii said:

Seehorse, I'll check out the Andrew Lessman Secure Meals. Wow...I would starve to death on 22 points. I thought they told me 26 was the lowest, but I could be wrong. I know I crave the carbs too, so have been eating a lot of rice cakes and Fiber One cereal with Almond milk.

The pounds are coming off fast this first week, but I know it is all water...seems like I live in the bathroom. LOL! At least I'll have a good first weigh-in!

She's doing an older program where the lowest was 18. There's no carb penalty on that program and a lot of people feel more satisfied on that plan.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN