Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Those who have had a knee replacement

My  very first visit to the surgeon was when I was 48 in 2003.  I had both knees inflamed and pain in both hips..... At that time he was hesitent on doing surgery because of my age( they have changed this attitude thankfully since that time).  Not that my knees and hips were not bad.....

So I suffered for the next 10 years HORRIBLY   and when I got to the point of  having to use crutches....  and my knees were so bowed out I could hardly stand straight.... I decided that I wanted something done.

So at age 57 in 2013  the same surgeon said YES for bilateral knee replacement.   Best thing I ever did!  I did wait those years because I wanted onlyhim to do my surgeries.  He is one of the best.

After that, In 2014 I had my left hip replaced... in 2015 I had my Right hip replaced.

Now I am totally pain free... and I am doing all the things I ever wanted to do.  Ireally regret suffering for those 10 years.... like you could not sleep because of the pain...and to even step off of a curb was so very painful. Every step was caculated.  I could not even stand in one place... had to sit down. 

I will answer your question.  I do think getting it done sooner than later is best. Especially for the hips as they can go downhill really bad and not come back well with surgery if you wait too long. Plus WHY SUFFER NEEDLESSLY?

Trusted Contributor

I had my right knee replaced on 5/30 after delaying it for over 2 years because I was scared, kept hearing about the intense pain for the first 2 weeks.  So I bit the bullet and now could kick myself for waiting so darn long.  That intense pain - never happened, some discomfort but on a scale of 1-10 it was a 3 or 4 at the most.

Maybe I was lucky, but I did do my research and found the top rated surgeon in  the state, and he did a great job.  Now I am getting ready for the left knee to join the right with a spanking new knee come this September.  Hoping it goes as well as it did in May.

Yes, P.T. is very important, did it 2x a week for 5 weeks and even now do some simple exercises at home.  My therapist kept telling me how amazing I was doing, which helped this pushing 80 person to perservere.  Best to you @Goodie2shoes , you won't regret it.

Esteemed Contributor

I waited 6+ years.  Just couldn't take that much time off work.  I had several rounds if injections.  I was bone on bone and could barely move.  I had both replaced at the same time;  that was 11 years ago!  No rehab facility.  I had home care until the staples were removed and then PT for 6 weeks.  

Ice will be your best friend!!!!  My surgeon advised pain meds prior to PT.  Now they do the quad-sparing surgery and recovery is said to be much quicker.

I would advise getting the surgery done.  It is worth it!  Good luck!!!  Oh, and make sure to do your exercises;  it really speeds up recivery.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes,

When you talk to the surgeon in August, I highly suggest you ask how he closes the incision.  

The incision on my first knee was closed by staples.   Second knee, same surgeon used glue to bond the skin.  The glue did not work on me; when the tape was removed after 2 weeks, my incision had spread apart above the knee.  My options were to have another surgical procedure or let it finish healing on its own.   I opted for the latter; surgery was in mid October, and my incision did not totally close until mid February.   

Honored Contributor

@chlema wrote:

I had my right knee replaced on 5/30 after delaying it for over 2 years because I was scared, kept hearing about the intense pain for the first 2 weeks.  So I bit the bullet and now could kick myself for waiting so darn long.  That intense pain - never happened, some discomfort but on a scale of 1-10 it was a 3 or 4 at the most.

Maybe I was lucky, but I did do my research and found the top rated surgeon in  the state, and he did a great job.  Now I am getting ready for the left knee to join the right with a spanking new knee come this September.  Hoping it goes as well as it did in May.

Yes, P.T. is very important, did it 2x a week for 5 weeks and even now do some simple exercises at home.  My therapist kept telling me how amazing I was doing, which helped this pushing 80 person to perservere.  Best to you @Goodie2shoes , you won't regret it.

@chlema, my first knee was done in 2008 and the rehab was brutal.  The second one was done several years later and was mostly a breeze.  The surgical techniques have improved considerably.  With the second one, I was released to home three to four hours after surgery.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  I actually had BOTH of my knees replaced at the same time!

Believe it or not....it was easy.  That’s the way to do it.  If you don’t get them done at the same time, you’ll spend 6 months totally recooperating until you’re ready to get the other one done ( which usually happens because you’ve put so much weight and pressure on the 1/2 way “good” knee, now it’s really bad too....

So.....you find yourself making plans to get the other knee “done”.  But...wait!  Now you know what’s ahead for you.  You start to hesitate thinking, “ maybe I won’t need to get it done, but it hurts so bad....”.  Get the picture?

Just get them both done together.  It will be 2 years in May 2020.  My Dr was hesitant to do both at the same time...  But I’d waited and waited.  He had to retire early due to arthritis.  I was his last patient. 

I’d definitely advise you to go to rehab directly after the operation.  I was in rehab for around 10 or 12 days.  They teach you how to get in and out of a car until you totally heal.  They give you exercises to strengthen everything.  They work with you and teach you about stair climbing and so on.

After rehab I spent maybe 1 week at my daughter’s house because I live alone in a very large 2 story house.  By then I was completely on my own and I could drive.

Believe me, these Drs have this knee replacement thing down so there isn’t much to it.

If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask me ((anything).  Just make sure I see it.  Say @Annabellethecat66 and I’ll see your questions.

Now make the appointment for the Drs and come back and tell us about it....go on now....😻😘

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 My doctor would not do both knees at once, even tho they both hurt.  So had my right knee done 5/30 and it's doing great.  Doctor did say when I come back in for my 2 month check-up he'd put me on the schedule for the left knee, most likely in September/October.  I'm happy about that and just hope the surgery goes as well as it did in May.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

Professionally, 65% of my time was devoted to ortho.  I've worked ortho/neuro floors and then years later headed up a division responsible for teaching 12 surgical services with Resident Programs all of their specimen-related courses.

I've assisted with and experienced hands-on regarding at least hundreds of total knees in a laboratory setting.  As part of the lecture prior to the hands-on, patient qualification for this surgery is always discussed.  Pertinent to your query, I'll share with you that our ortho docs always included narratives on the patient's (1) Quality of life; and (2) Level of pain, as being two of several qualifying indicators for this type of surgery.

The Resident surgeons were all encouraged to speak with their patients at some length regarding current quality of life issues (mind you this is the Navy, not the private sector).  Ferreting through the emotional side of pain is another thing.  It's important for the surgeon to have a clear understanding of the patient's current pain level on a scale of 0 to 10.  And, the surgeon will also ask the patient to qualify the pain in terms of aching, stabbing, lacerating, etc.  So, if you're at a pain Level of 5, surgery is not going to be in the near future for you.  However, if you indicate a 7 or 8 pain Level, you must be prepared to back up that claim with why you believe your pain to be that high, aside from the fact that your films indicate bone-on-bone.  For those who would indicate a Level 10, that would mean that you would sooner jump off of the Golden Gate Bridge.  And, the surgeon always knows when patients are faking.  Always.

Also, when you're presented with a line drawing of the human body and are meant to indicate where your pain is, etc., please make sure to mark within the lines of the printed drawing.  The reason I mention this is that some people will indicate their pain outside the line drawing in white space.  Some clinicians consider this "an expression of 'out of body pain,'" which some indicate to be a psych issue. Such an expression can be a set-back for you with your surgeon, so best to keep all indicators inside the lines.  Draw the areas of pain inside the lines, then write words with arrows outside the lines.

Surgeons in all specialties have many things to consider, so anything you can do to assist your surgeon along the way will facilitate the entire process.

Good luck and blessings, with your next appointment.

Honored Contributor

@chlema  When my knee problems started years ago my Dr (this same Dr) didn't want to do both knees either.

Then as time went on he started re-thinking his decision.  I am very strong in my upper body.  He knew I could handle getting both of them done at the same time.

Initially (way back) he'd say, "I only do athlete's both knees together"...or..."You'll really need to do some talking to convince me to do both".

Well....I guess the stars lined up and he knew I could handle both of them.

In fact, I've met several people who've also had both knees done at the same time.

Not to bust on Drs but it does save the insurance company money to get them both done.  

Everyone I've talked to who have had both done say what I say, "Never regretted getting them done together....over and done".

I'd say within 1 1/2 months I was completely done with all of it (follow-ups, etc).

I never used any kind of walker and barely used a cane.  The cane was more for balance than anything.

I've had so much pain (due to my back) in my life since I was 18 and broke it in 3 places, everything else is a piece of cake (pain-wise and endurance).

I guess each person is different.  A lot depends on upper body strength.  You must have very good upper body strength.

I wish you well.