Respected Contributor

Re: Question for Medicare People

@151949  You are right about taxes.  I was making the point that people should be aware of if they are in the population that AARP serves.  If they are rich, AARP works against their interests.  That is why some people reject AARP.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

@151949  You are right about taxes.  I was making the point that people should be aware of if they are in the population that AARP serves.  If they are rich, AARP works against their interests.  That is why some people reject AARP.

That is your OPINION about why people reject AARP and I have a different opinion, which would be political so I can't say it here.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@BalletBabe@151949@KarenQVC@NickNack@Moonchilde

All I know (and I am sincerely asking for what others know) is that you are required to be on Medicare at age 65. [A doctor cannot see you without using your medicare policy]

I chose AARP (I am not a member, or wasn't) b/c I know they have a large lobby in DC. They represent retired people -- so why wouldn't I choose a plan to eceive my medicare benefits in a plan offered by them? (United Secure Horizons)

BTW.. I feel fortunate... we were referred to this new doctor by our internal med guy who has been seeing us for years.

I am neither for or against AARP.  What I can tell you is that AARP gets a percentage from the insurance companies they refer their members to. AARP is not an insurance company and they do not sell insurance,

They recommend United Health Care and get kick back from them. ( not a secret, it's right there on their website)

All Medicare supplements and Advantage plans are approved by our government.  All Medicare supplements are exactly the same, no matter which insurance company sells them,  Only the cost may be different.

Advantage Plans are all different, depending on where you live.

You are required to be a paying member of AARP to pick up a plan offered by them initally.  If you do not continue to be a paying member, you can still keep the insurance.

There is no reason that I can think of to purchase your insurance with the assistance of AARP unless you want to line their pockets.

They do recommend good policies and United Health Care is a good company, but not any better than most.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@Spurt  I agree.  AARP only advocates for low and middle income seniors.  Their policies work against rich seniors.

That's an interesting POV, since the articles and the multiple ads in their publications, plus the multiple advertisings mailed to the homes of AARP members are mostly geared towards seniors who must have plenty of discretionary income.

@Moonchilde  Funny you said that.  My brother was just telling me that he is so sick of getting mail from them, that everytime they send him something, he uses the postage free envelope and mails it back to them.  Bwah hahahahahah  Let's all do it !  

LOL - brilliant!

I do that with a lot of junk mail I receive,  I also stuff other junk papers into the envelopes to make it quite heavy.  I enclose a note to take me off of their mailing list too.

Sometimes,it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

@LTT1  No one is required to have Medicare.  You can pay privately.

Insurance companies have to ask you if you are eligible for Medicare, if you are, they are not allowed to sell you insurance.  You don't have to have Medicare, you just have to be eligible for it,

There are also some procedures that Medicare does not and will not cover.  It is against the law for a doctor to preform these procedures on anyone who has Medicare, even if they offer to private pay or do it for no cost.

I wish I could remember exactly what those procedures are.  I was appalled when I learned about that. That is way out of line and not right,  

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

What is the purpose of this Welcome to Medicare exam.   Seriously???

"The "Welcome to Medicare" physical exam is a one-time, preventive physical exam Medicare covers within the first 12 months that you have Medicare Part B. The visit will include a thorough review of your health, along with education and counseling about the preventive services you need, like certain screenings, shots, ..."

https://www.medicare.gov/people-like-me/new-to-medicare/welcome-to-medicare-visit.html

It's just a general evaluation/physical exam by your doctor that is fully covered by Medicare.... kind of like a baseline evaluation at the time you're starting Medicare.  No biggee and you're probably getting a yearly exam anyway....  Woman LOL 

Thanks for the information.  Seriously wewent over all of this stuff today.  He made the comment to me that it gives him a better grade.  In other words they like the Dr to do this.    That is his problem.  He has all the informtaion you just mentioned.   Then he said someting about a ekg and ultra sound.   I don't think so.  Till I have a problem leave me alone.   Those tests are not covered according to AARP under the wellness exam.  I am not sure what he is trying to pull.   $$$$$$$   I had a full blood work done last week and he went over all results which were all good. 

@BalletBabe

If you have AARP that explains it, they are part of the "food chain" in health care----translation---follow the money$$$$,  and they are against changes that will put healthcare back with the patient where it belongs (patient decides what tests are necessary etc).....research AARP and see....they received 1 billion in insurance profits, and another 1.8 billion that it generated from its business interests.....check out in Forbes website....cant say more it would be deemed political which isnt allowed on this forum.  All I can say they be more of an advocate for themselves instead of seniors...

@Spurt  You are correct.  I hate to tell them, but if they are going to irritate me, I will be looking for another plan at the end of the year.   Thanks for your input !  Appreciate it.  I had forgotten abut them in with the ex President.   I do think the Dr's are making out good with all of this as well.  The nurse told me my Dr. hates doing these because it takes time away from sick patients.   

If he was a new Dr. and didn't know me that would be different.  The only thing he don't have is a EKG.   I just saw him this week.  So I was blown away when he wants to do this in June.  Then when I call ins. they say you have a year and it is not required.  I think snowbirds are not here so lets drum up some business for the Summer.  :0/

This doesn't sound like an AARP problem to me.  It sounds like someone has a HMO Medicare Advantage Plan.  All HMO's are like that.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

What is the purpose of this Welcome to Medicare exam.   Seriously???

"The "Welcome to Medicare" physical exam is a one-time, preventive physical exam Medicare covers within the first 12 months that you have Medicare Part B. The visit will include a thorough review of your health, along with education and counseling about the preventive services you need, like certain screenings, shots, ..."

https://www.medicare.gov/people-like-me/new-to-medicare/welcome-to-medicare-visit.html

It's just a general evaluation/physical exam by your doctor that is fully covered by Medicare.... kind of like a baseline evaluation at the time you're starting Medicare.  No biggee and you're probably getting a yearly exam anyway....  Woman LOL 

Thanks for the information.  Seriously wewent over all of this stuff today.  He made the comment to me that it gives him a better grade.  In other words they like the Dr to do this.    That is his problem.  He has all the informtaion you just mentioned.   Then he said someting about a ekg and ultra sound.   I don't think so.  Till I have a problem leave me alone.   Those tests are not covered according to AARP under the wellness exam.  I am not sure what he is trying to pull.   $$$$$$$   I had a full blood work done last week and he went over all results which were all good. 

@BalletBabe

If you have AARP that explains it, they are part of the "food chain" in health care----translation---follow the money$$$$,  and they are against changes that will put healthcare back with the patient where it belongs (patient decides what tests are necessary etc).....research AARP and see....they received 1 billion in insurance profits, and another 1.8 billion that it generated from its business interests.....check out in Forbes website....cant say more it would be deemed political which isnt allowed on this forum.  All I can say they be more of an advocate for themselves instead of seniors...

Many people over the years have come to the conclusion that while it's true and obvious that AARP is one huge lobbying organization, they're not necessarily lobbying for what a lot of people think they're lobbying for. AARP is definitely political, but it has been through administrations led by both parties. I came to the conclusion years ago that I find them creepy as an organization and belonging is of no benefit to me personally.

@Moonchilde

I totally agree with you, just another lobby group lining their pockets!!!  ..I find them creepy too....And they cozy on up to whatever administration is in office....They have frequent commercials being aired in my town urging people to join---take a dance class, computer or cooking class, movie night, etc etc..... I can do all that through our Community Extension Courses---and they offer interesting day trips ---rather do it with them than AARP..... And my insurance co and AAA offer travel discounts, and get coupons and cash rewards for restaurants through other sources, so their "benefits" don't really matter to me.......Why doesnt AARP do something that REALLY helps people being the powerful organization that they are!!!.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

@BalletBabe@151949@KarenQVC@NickNack@Moonchilde

All I know (and I am sincerely asking for what others know) is that you are required to be on Medicare at age 65. [A doctor cannot see you without using your medicare policy]

I chose AARP (I am not a member, or wasn't) b/c I know they have a large lobby in DC. They represent retired people -- so why wouldn't I choose a plan to eceive my medicare benefits in a plan offered by them? (United Secure Horizons)

BTW.. I feel fortunate... we were referred to this new doctor by our internal med guy who has been seeing us for years.

@LTT1

I'm happy to hear you are fortunate to be referred to a good doctor, and I hope you continue to be pleased with AARP.....

There are other good companies out there besides AARP for the Medicare Supplement.....my friend turned 65 and she got quotes for the Medicare Supplement and it turned out that AARP was about $52 higher and the coverage was the same...Plan F ..she's very happy with her company and its been smooth sailing regarding her health care....  

Here's a link comparing companies from a consumer group----

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/medicare-supplemental-insurance/#

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

AARP is not an insurance company --they do act similarly to an insurance agent in that they do the research about many companies and chose to recommend those who they believe to be the best choices for their members.They also educate their members about many things of interest to seniors like medicare and supplements and advantage plans, or about reverse mortgages or paying for skilled nursing care or how to find an investment broker. These are things that are important to seniors & which many people don't know anything about  - but need to. They also recommend companies to help you save money or make better purchasing choices like electronics as seniors generally are not highly knowledgeable about these topics. I bought my first Tracfone on the recommendation from AARP.  When I retired I lost my life ins. as it was connected to my job - I called AARP and got an affordable policy. We orginally joined AARP when we each turned 50 so we could buy LTC insurance - we have a great policy at a very reasonable rate thru Met Life because of AARP, who not only recommended this policy & sold it to us but first educated us about this policy and what all it covers by sending us a video and inviting us to join in an online tutorial about it. OMG they do so much more than just sell insurance - first and most important - they educate you about it first. You are well aware of the good & the bad before you sign on the dotted line. When DH retired we wanted to find a broker to move our IRA to - & they sent us information about how to go about finding someone and what to look for & ask when you first interview him.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt - when I read something like this "report" my first thought is - what is this person writing this agenda? No one starts a web page without an agenda - it is done to make money. Just because you read it on the internet does not make it true.