Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for Medicare People

@Nicknack wrote:

Some of you are so cynical about doctors it's amazing you ever go to one.  I just Googled "does Medicare grade doctors" and came up with nothing.  I have never felt that any doctor I've ever had has run unnecessary tests.  If I felt that way I would find another doctor.  Colonoscopies, for one, save lives.  Most colon cancers are not found by symptoms until it's very advanced.

@NickNack  That is your opinion.  In mine colonoscopy's   are a big money maker,  as are bone density tests.  I worked for Dr's, so I know they order everything and anything they can.  It is all about money. Also all about covering them incase of a lawsuit. I want to spend as least amount of time while I am healthy having fun.  That don't mean I want to spend days and hours in Dr's offices and/or having tests. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

Some of you are so cynical about doctors it's amazing you ever go to one.  I just Googled "does Medicare grade doctors" and came up with nothing.  I have never felt that any doctor I've ever had has run unnecessary tests.  If I felt that way I would find another doctor.  Colonoscopies, for one, save lives.  Most colon cancers are not found by symptoms until it's very advanced.

@NickNack  That is your opinion.  In mine colonoscopy's   are a big money maker,  as are bone density tests.  I worked for Dr's, so I know they order everything and anything they can.  It is all about money. Also all about covering them incase of a lawsuit. I want to spend as least amount of time while I am healthy having fun.  That don't mean I want to spend days and hours in Dr's offices and/or having tests. 

We will just have to agree to disagree on this.  I found out I have osteoporosis recently from having a bone density test.  I'm very glad to know this so I can start on Prolia and up my exercise.  Without the test it could have gotten worse.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

In the case of a colonoscopy, the doctor ordering it is not the one making the money off of it.  I just completely disagree with you about all of this.  I believe most doctors want what's best for their patients.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@151949  I am not saying AARP should advocate for wealthy seniors.  It is just that the wealthy should be aware that AARP is out to transfer their $ from them to needy seniors.  Some wealthy people do not want to spend their $ on the population in general.

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe A colonscopy just saved my husband's life - he had 2 areas of colon cancer removed after they were detected by colonscopy. One on transverse colon and one on ascending colon. He is certainly sleeping well now knowing that is no longer inside him.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC Most wealthy people do not pay their fair % of their income in taxes. The middle class pays a much higher rate.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@BalletBabe A colonscopy just saved my husband's life - he had 2 areas of colon cancer removed after they were detected by colonscopy. One on transverse colon and one on ascending colon. He is certainly sleeping well now knowing that is no longer inside him.

@151949  I am glad that it was caught.   I am glad he is recovering well.  I think we all have to make that decision on our own.   I choose not to.  That don't mean that you or anyone else should not do it. 

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe@151949@KarenQVC@NickNack@Moonchilde

All I know (and I am sincerely asking for what others know) is that you are required to be on Medicare at age 65. [A doctor cannot see you without using your medicare policy]

I chose AARP (I am not a member, or wasn't) b/c I know they have a large lobby in DC. They represent retired people -- so why wouldn't I choose a plan to eceive my medicare benefits in a plan offered by them? (United Secure Horizons)

BTW.. I feel fortunate... we were referred to this new doctor by our internal med guy who has been seeing us for years.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@Spurt  I agree.  AARP only advocates for low and middle income seniors.  Their policies work against rich seniors.

That's an interesting POV, since the articles and the multiple ads in their publications, plus the multiple advertisings mailed to the homes of AARP members are mostly geared towards seniors who must have plenty of discretionary income.

@Moonchilde  Funny you said that.  My brother was just telling me that he is so sick of getting mail from them, that everytime they send him something, he uses the postage free envelope and mails it back to them.  Bwah hahahahahah  Let's all do it !  

LOL - brilliant!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@LTT1  No one is required to have Medicare.  You can pay privately.