Respected Contributor

Re: Question about pre-colonoscopy diet

Eat your regular food till the day before, never heard of what your talking about. I.ve had 20 colonoscopys in my life, and the day before stayed on a liquid diet, no red or purple. I eat popsiscles, jello, coffee no cream., broth, and I do get one bottle of gartor ade, because sometimes the  fluid you drink will make your electro lights go down. Don't make a big deal out of this, it's one day in your life, and you will be put to sleep for the procedure, wake up walk out go home, have a Big Mac on the way with a large fry.

Respected Contributor

I think many of you may be in for a surprise on your next one!

Never had such instructions for ANY of my colonoscopies befoer, but this time, for the one I have scheduled in July, I got these instructions:

FOUR days before the procedure: No fruits, vegetables, dried fruits, nuts, popcorn or guava (they specfied guava!?)

24 hours before: No solid food at all, Clear liquids, broth, Jello, tea - Nothing with red or purple food coloring, NO diet drinks or soft drinks....

NEVER had these before, but I do have them now..FOUR days without fruit or vegetables??? really???!!

Respected Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

I think many of you may be in for a surprise on your next one!

Never had such instructions for ANY of my colonoscopies befoer, but this time, for the one I have scheduled in July, I got these instructions:

FOUR days before the procedure: No fruits, vegetables, dried fruits, nuts, popcorn or guava (they specfied guava!?)

24 hours before: No solid food at all, Clear liquids, broth, Jello, tea - Nothing with red or purple food coloring, NO diet drinks or soft drinks....

NEVER had these before, but I do have them now..FOUR days without fruit or vegetables??? really???!!

WOW 4days... that stinks!  maybe this is new and will be what most begin to find their doctors are telling them to do for prep!  

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a Pre-Prep for a Colonoscopy, and to me it sounds like a good idea. Just a guess, but I believe most that undergo a Colonoscopy want the doctor to be able to complete it.

There is the possibility that they may not be able to so, in which case, any competent Gastroenterologist, would want to reschedule another Colonoscopy. I had to have a Double Balloon Enteroscopy repeated, not because of food, but because dried blood prevented it's completion. Resulting in 1 more gallon of NuLytely 2 days later.

Not a hard thing for anyone to follow, in my humble opinion. Beats having to go through another prep, no?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I juice fasted for three days prior  and by the day I took the powerful laxatives,  I was pretty much cleaned out already.... made the clean out very easy and fast.  I would never eat food right up until the clean out day. 

Valued Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Obviously, everyone's situation is different.

I will be on all liquids on Sunday until 5 p.m. when I start Colyte. I have a complete list of what I can and can't drink. It's the same as last year.

I don't eat much fried stuff, but do like onion rings once in a great while!

I have been on a low fiber diet for a few days.

I had my first "scope" last year. A small colo-rectal tumor was found, had surgery, had chemo and radiation and am doing quite well! Have had CT scans and a couple of endoscopies, an MRI and an EUS which was miserable.

Due to my cancer I am to have yearly colonoscopies. I have the GREATEST medical team and care anyone could hope for!! And I ADORE my oncologist.

Wow! You've been through a lot, Lovemygrands! So glad to hear you're doing well. Hope everything checks out and the procedure goes well! Sending good thoughts, prayers and cosmic vibes your way!  Heart

P.S., onion rings are my weakness too!

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I juice fasted for three days prior  and by the day I took the powerful laxatives,  I was pretty much cleaned out already.... made the clean out very easy and fast.  I would never eat food right up until the clean out day. 

Weren't you feeling weak and shaky doing a juice fast only for 3days prior?  I feel this way if I don't eat enough from last nights dinner.  Feeling sick from not eating and then having to go in for a procedure would be very stressful...at least in my mind.  I could just be lacking correct information on fasting.  I have never fasted other then for lab work....the basic 12hrs to 14hrs prior.  Even for my bone tumor removal surgery that's all that was necessary...no 2,3 day fasting prior.

Honored Contributor

I would not eat fried food, i would eat a very light diet before and for a few days after!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I havent heard of anyone needing a yearly one. I am sorry you have to do this every year!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Hi @tsavorite

A little of my colon history you may not of known. Don't remember if I mentioned this in the "Fit for 2018" thread. Anyways, in 2008 I spent almost 5 weeks in the hospital with my right colon bleeding. Had 6 Colonoscopy's and 2 Double Balloon Enteroscopies. Was Anemic with Hemoglobin readings mostly around 8.0, or less(normal for me is 13-17). Had so many blood transfusions I lost count, and several Iron Infusions.

During 1 stretch of 17 days, I consumed only Apple Juice and Orange Jello, and lots of water. Before each of the above mentioned procedures I drank 1 gallon of Go or NuLytely Prep.

In between I walked/walked and walked some more. The Heart Floor, at that time, had marks on the upper wall to measure distances walked. It took 25 circuits of that floor to equal a 1 mile distance. There were very few days where I walked less than 5-8 miles, Anemia and all.

Was in tuned enough with my body to tell when my Hemoglobin numbers dropped down into the 7's. When that happened, I would get the feelings you mentioned, not "shaky", just weaker and a little light headed. If I was walking, I stopped/went back to my room/jumped into my recliner, and knew I would be getting another blood transfusion.

This story is because I know your interest in physical fitness. Fortunately for me, when my colon bleed started that precipitated this hospitalization, I was very physically fit. Had I not been, that almost 5 week Hospital stay, would have seemed more like 5 years.

Walking and talking with many heart patients made some of that time for me seem useful, showing other Heart Patients on that floor, that because I had 2 heart attacks prior to this hospitalization, it was still possible to return to a normal and physically fit life in spite of those setbacks.

My feeling is that a body in pretty good physical condition, in spite of one's age, can endure long periods of time without eating solid foods, without getting weak(and I was Anemic during this time, anyone with Anemia knows how that feels) or shaky. Moral of my story? @tsavorite, I think you know!

My best to you and my hope is that you are still:

"Keeping on Keeping on"!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)