Honored Contributor

Question about colonoscopy prep

I have all my instructions, food list, etc. (I've done this before) but a question I keep forgetting to ask my doctor:

Why in the low fiber diet is white bread only allowed and not wheat?

Couldn't find the answer on the 'net. If anyone knows for sure, I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about colonoscopy prep

one slice of white bread has about .8 grams of fiber.

one slice of wheat bread has about 1.9 grams of fiber.....so more than double.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

My guess is it's the wheat vs white flour used to make the bread. More roughage in the wheat.  

Honored Contributor

The wheat bread will leave tiny pieces of grain and seeds in your colon and will imped the colonoscopy also they may cause minute bleeding just as popcorn and other ruffage would.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids  I think wheat is too grainy for this particular instance. Your Dr wants/needs you to be as clean as possible without residue of this nature hiding in nooks & crannies. This I think falls in the same as lessening and lightening up your diet 2-3 days prior to, certainly lessens the load to clean out.

The best to you in your results and GOOD for you for taking care of YOU!

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@Love my grandkids  I think wheat is too grainy for this particular instance. Your Dr wants/needs you to be as clean as possible without residue of this nature hiding in nooks & crannies. This I think falls in the same as lessening and lightening up your diet 2-3 days prior to, certainly lessens the load to clean out.

That is the answer.  I've just had my 3rd colonoscopy and the reason given.  The gastroenterologist gives us a prepared sheet with list of what to eat and another of specifically what NOT to eat a few days before.  Told to try and avoid any berries with seeds, nuts, rice, breads with grains/seeds a few days before and answer above is the reason given.  

Honored Contributor

This has nothing to do with the OPs issue exactly but I cannot figure out why they don't tailor the prep to a person's size.

A friend of mine just had to have this done. She is a very small person and a light eater.  She finished half of the prep drink plus about another cup. That was all she could manage to get down and she was getting physically ill from it.  She had the test done and they said it was fine. She was "cleaned out." 

Doesn't make any sense to me that she would need to drink the same amount of prep as a larger, heavier person.       

Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

This has nothing to do with the OPs issue exactly but I cannot figure out why they don't tailor the prep to a person's size.

A friend of mine just had to have this done. She is a very small person and a light eater.  She finished half of the prep drink plus about another cup. That was all she could manage to get down and she was getting physically ill from it.  She had the test done and they said it was fine. She was "cleaned out." 

Doesn't make any sense to me that she would need to drink the same amount of prep as a larger, heavier person.       

I totally agree!  My DH and I had ours almost 10 years ago (due later in year now) and he's 180 and I 110 and prescribed same amount.  We ate VERY lightly three days prior, diet ready for scope and I was cleaned out very quickly - I got about 1/2 half of prep down too, and was fine! 

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Especially if you have diverticulosis.  That can make it a little more difficult to get clean.

I hope your procedure goes well.  It might not be fun but it's something we need to do.  I had the procedure done last week and I just got the pathology results.  I had two polyps removed, and one of them was precancerous.  It's such a relief to know that's gone.