Honored Contributor

Re: Question about Air Compression Leg Massagers

@Mindy D wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Recently, my husband broke his nose.  It's a long story, but it involved a dance with the roll-out garbage bin.  All I know is he showed up at the back door with his entire head covered in blood.  Anyways, the ER doctor referred him to an ENT which turned out to be one of the better plastic surgeons in town.  He ended up having to go to outpatient surgery to have his nose reset although luckily he didn't have to do any internal work.  While he was prepping for the surgery they put those leg massagers on him, the ones that blow up and then lets the air out.  I'm familiar with those and that they are used to reduce the chance of blood clots.  That was about 3 weeks ago

Fast forward to today.  My husband tells me he is expecting a package today.  He said that leg massager made his legs feel so much better, they were less puffy, and that even now they still feel better, so he ordered himself one.

So, my question is does this indicate he has bad circulation in his legs?  I can't imagine that 2-3 hours of massage would still have an effect on him 2 to 3 weeks later.  What say you?  I'll never get him to go to the doctor.  He argued with me about taking him to the ER in the first place where he also got a couple of stitches below his eye.  

@Icegoddess @Your husband could get a home video appointment with his primary care doctor just to ask if it ok to use the massager. He should get an ok before using anything. He can show the doctor his legs and any puffiness. If he has a home blood pressure monitor he can give the doctor his last few readings and he can update the doctor on his recent injury. It's a whole lot less hassle seeing the doctor from home. His pC care can get copies of the ER and surgery records because they might have done some tests that the PC doctor can put in his records.

@Mindy D it's got nothing to do with hassle factor.  He just doesn't like (or think he needs a) doctor unless he's really sick.  I'm sure there is probably some macho factor involved, but he also has a problem with the prescriptons I take, most of which are long-term maintenance.  I think I married my grandfather.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about Air Compression Leg Massagers

Hi @hckynut ,

Thanks for the kind comments. Heart

You know, I have to admit that sometimes I didn't "listen to myself" as soon as I should have when it came to my own "health intuition," and then I would have one of my doctors or nurses tell me, "You should have called us/come in sooner."

Sometimes we make the mistake of thinking something could be minor/nothing when it actually isn't at all.

I've certainly done that, but it has been live and learn for me, and I'd like to say that now when something starts to go wrong, I act on it right away and I'll usually then have a doctor tell me, "It's a good thing that you came in."