Honored Contributor

Knee Replacement Surgery

[ Edited ]

My DH, after 5 surgeries on his right knee and a lifetime of activities has gone to the doctor after being waylayed with more and more pain and lack of movement for the last year and the doctor said that there is nothing left in the knee to repair, just bone on bone (and some new bone growing to compensate) as well as a lot of arthritis.  The recomendation is a knee repacement.  His cat scan is Wed.  

I know I've seen quite a few topics regarding this but would love to hear your (or your significant other) experiences.....

Thanks!  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Knee Replacement Surgery

I had mine done almost 3 years ago in October and am glad I did. Yes it will hurt and yes you have to do lots of therapy but it's worth it. I was off meds in a about a week, off the walker in a week and I think I used a cane for maybe a day or two. My husband had his done 2 years ago in October and he never did use a walker or cane. (I think it's a macho guy thing, I'm not afraid to say I'm a bit cautious). We both went to as many therapies as our insurance would let us so we both went for about 10 weeks until the new year kicked in and we had to meet a new deductible. You will see improvement each week. What you couldn't do last week you can do now etc. healing does take time but neither of us have had any issues.

Honored Contributor

Theres really no major decision to be made.  Either you do it and have a month or so of inconvenience or you settle for a lifetime of pain and limitations.  It's really not that much of a big deal these days, especially if one has a spouse to help with the aftercare,. It is important to dutifully perform the PT exercises.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Q4u 

My wife's story. Went through the cortisone route on both knees. Then the acid treatment on her right knee. Both her knees were/are bone on bone. 

With her many recent past serious emergency abdominal surgeries(9-10) of them, I mentioned this.

Our friend had been our Orthopedic Doctor for years now. He told her she eventually will need both knees replaced. I told her, you are now physically healthy, what better time to have this surgery. 

After much talking she decided to set a date to have her right knee replacement surgery. It went well, but even with 5+ weeks of PT, she could not get close to a degree of bend with it.

Her doctor told her if she didn't reach that level by week 6, she would never be able to walk as well as she could. So she went back in the hospital for what is called "Manipulation of the knee joint". Under general anesthesia as with her surgery.

After many more weeks of PT and doing home exercises, she is able to get close to the expected bend of that knee. With the virus now, she is not sure when she will set up her left knee replacement.

She said to me from Day 1 after her surgery "it was not near as painful or as bad as I thought".

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Had my right knee replaced  January 3, 2020 after cortisone shots, physical therapy and every topical treatment available.  Best thing I have ever done.  My pain was minimal and have 100% bend ability.  I am sure you will be happy you had it doe.  Good luck.

Super Contributor

as someone else said what choice do u have?--live in pain forever?--no that is not necessary--July 23 will be one year since I had one knee done--2 weeks later I had the other knee done--that's how my dr does his surgeries--had the usual p.t. etc and I am so glad I had it done--u know we aren't getting any younger so I say do it when u can--it will b worth it--------------------------marynj

Honored Contributor

Both knees replaced June 4, 2013. It is my new birthday. It is when I got my life back! 

Esteemed Contributor

I've had both done.  Both went down the tubes in different ways. After the first one, bone on bone for 4 years, I said to DH, "Why did I wait so long?"

The answer for me and many people is--if we're honest with ourselves--fear.

Sure, it and the rehab are painful...but you know the pain from surgery will go away. If one does nothing when all other avenues are exhausted, the pain can only get worse.

Now with two artificial knees,I can honestly say that I no longer remember the excruciating pain of arthritis...and these knees feel the same as the originals.

Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u   .. my mother had two knee replacements done when she was in her late 70's and early 80's.  She had a phenomenal surgeon... who only did knees.   She did very well.  She spent a couple weeks in a rehab after each surgery.  She did better than most of the younger patients in the rehab.  

Respected Contributor

Best wishes for a positive outcome for your DH.  My left knee replacement 2015 went very well, no significant problems. My right Knee replacement did not go well. You mentioned reading posts here about replacement outcomes. I'm post op removal of the replacement hardware done 6/26/20, on a walker and IV antibiotics at home due to a staph infection, initial replacement done 9/30/19. I will have to have the replacement redone in a couple of months. Again, best wishes to your DH.