Trusted Contributor

Re: Question About Total Knee Replacement

Hi everyone, well I'm home from my knee surgery I had on Nov 26. I guess I'm doing pretty good. My leg is really swollen and the muscles hurt. My surgeon told me that there was a lot of knee destruction, but he was able to totally straighten my leg out, something my body hasn't had in 2 years. I love my physical therapist and she puts me through some tough exercises. Hopefully in a few weeks the swelling will go down, along with the pain. I know it's going to be a lot of work but with everyone's encouragement and advice I'm ready to tackle this. Thank you all !!!!!

Regular Contributor

I had my knee done 10 weeks ago. My surgeon only has you stay in the hospital 1 night so the very next day I was home walking up stairs, no problem. But the recovery has been longer than I had expected. This does depend on your age and your physical/muscle form. If you can strengthen the leg muscles beforehand you will recover faster but they do not emphasize this since so many are in pain and can not. I had not been able to build my endurance yet....can not walk for any length of time but it will come. You really have to work the muscles after the operation....it is not all just the healing.

Respected Contributor

On 12/2/2014 hayseed00 said:

Hi everyone, well I'm home from my knee surgery I had on Nov 26. I guess I'm doing pretty good. My leg is really swollen and the muscles hurt. My surgeon told me that there was a lot of knee destruction, but he was able to totally straighten my leg out, something my body hasn't had in 2 years. I love my physical therapist and she puts me through some tough exercises. Hopefully in a few weeks the swelling will go down, along with the pain. I know it's going to be a lot of work but with everyone's encouragement and advice I'm ready to tackle this. Thank you all !!!!!

Thanks so much for letting us know how your surgery went!!! It sounds like the surgeon was able to take out that messed up knee and replace it!! I'm so glad you're able to straighten your leg now. You sound strong and upbeat!!! This is a great attitude that will help you in physical therapy and rehab!!! Glad you like your therapist!!! I can imagine that the swelling is causing some of the pain, and when it goes down, your pain will subside. Great big hugs to you!!! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Respected Contributor

On 12/2/2014 CHEX said:

I had my knee done 10 weeks ago. My surgeon only has you stay in the hospital 1 night so the very next day I was home walking up stairs, no problem. But the recovery has been longer than I had expected. This does depend on your age and your physical/muscle form. If you can strengthen the leg muscles beforehand you will recover faster but they do not emphasize this since so many are in pain and can not. I had not been able to build my endurance yet....can not walk for any length of time but it will come. You really have to work the muscles after the operation....it is not all just the healing.

I can't believe you're walking up the stairs with no problem!!! You must be very happy!!! Take a little bit at a time to build up your strength. Increase your distance a little each day. The body is amazing and they say that you can build up muscle strength even if you're older or have lost it because of not using it! It really takes courage to go through what you've been through so far! I salute you!!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Frequent Contributor

100% in agreement with everyone who emphasizes the need to PT. I had my surgery 5 years ago and I still go to the PT facility now and again to get some new exercises. I've achieved 87% recovery of my original range of motion. I can take my dogs for a walk to the park now, and grocery shop without using the electric cart. I can't say I'm pain-free as my replaced knee still hurts enough to keep me awake occasionally, but the level of pain is so greatly reduced its remarkable.

My knee issues were the result of a car accident on top of years and years as a competitive runner. I struggled with the bad knee for several years becuase I was afraid of the surgery. I should never have waited and tortured myself. I had a few weeks of pain and discomfort post-surgery, but I could actually get up and walk much better than before only 2 days post-surgery.

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone, well it's been 3 weeks since my total knee replacement. As far as walking I'm doing great, my physical therapist is awesome. My biggest challenge is at night, my knee discomfort keeps me up, Perry Mason and I are becoming good friends on the late night reruns. I hope this night pain and knee swelling goes soon. I'm still glad I had the surgery, I couldn't bear any weight on mt knee prior to it.

Honored Contributor

I had a total knee replacement on July 31, 2014. I used to be in constant pain and it had been 5+ years since I was able to straighten it. I walked with a horrible limp.

Now I can bend it, straighten, and sleep all night. It has been many years since i was able to sleep more than an hour or two without waking up in pain. I can walk on a treadmill and ride an exercise bike. My focus right now is on muscle building since my muscles and ligaments were very warped and changed due to the previous lack of mobility.

Physical therapy is a must for everyone having a knee replacement. It really helped!