Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question About Total Knee Replacement

(I really wanted to reply when you first posted, but had horrible issues trying to log in. After a week, called customer service and they fixed the problem.)

Most total knees are done on patients who are "bone on bone." This means that the cartilage on the end of your thigh bone and on the end of our shin bone has worn away. Because of this, walking up or down stairs is very painful for most. Because most of those having total knees have changed their gait and are probably not as active as they were prior to the joint going down hill, muscles in the thigh (front and back) become weakened.

When you've had a total knee, the part of the thigh bone and shin bone where the cartilage wore off and caused such pain is removed and an artificial joint installed. You will no longer have the bone-on-bone pain; however, you will have the post-op pain of really sore muscles, tendons and ligaments. You may find the underside of your knee cap to continue to be sore, if it was that way before.

Walking upstairs: I had my TKA in May. Before the surgery I had to walk upstairs strait-legged, one stair at a time. Now, after rehab and strengthening my leg muscles, I can comfortably walk upstairs. I still have a bit of an issue going downstairs, but I'm just 6 months out and it's getting better all the time.

Yes, as others have said, every case is different. But---I would say, every recovery is different. The important thing is that the offending bones surfaces which have lost their cartilage have been removed.

Please come back with more questions. 60% of what I did in my job before I retired last year was Ortho. I can't tell you how many total knees I assisted in and how many I simply viewed (we were a teaching hospital).

I wish you the best.

Valued Contributor

Before I had my knee replacements I could barely do stairs. I would walk up with the better knee first. It was very painful too. Now I can walk up stairs with no problem. I take them whenever I can. I do find it's easier to walk up than walk down but still put one leg in front of the other and not walk one at a time like I did before. I don't have stairs inside my home so I don't walk them daily.

After PT I used The Step to exercise on. I even raised it higher to work out more. I feel things get better over time and now walking my outside steps without any banister is so easy. It took awhile not holding onto something but now it's pretty easy. Before I couldn't even walk up with a cane.

Everyone is different and I think making sure you do your PT gives the best results. Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

It really does depend on your general age and condition and how hard you're willing to work to rehab the knee after surgery. I can climb stairs now that I've had double TKR, but since I had avoided stairs as much as possible for a long time while I had severe knee problems, I lost a lot of strength in my "stair climbing muscles". I'm also in my 60's and overweight, so stair climbing won't be as easy for me as for a 40 year old who weighs 130 lbs. I live on one level, so I don't climb stairs on a daily basis. I need a handrail to feel secure, especially when going down. I could work on this and improve, I'm sure.

Trusted Contributor

I am having a right total knee replacement on wed. nov 26, all the info here really helps. I have been off work now for 2 weeks because the knee pain and mobility became to difficult. I'm 60 years old, I have a great surgeon, but still nervous about the surgery. It's good to read that others feel better after the knee replacement.

Honored Contributor

Best wishes to you hayseed00 with your surgery. Just wrap your mind around the fact this is what you have to do to get your life back, and be determined to let nothing get in your way! Attitude and determination are everything with this surgery and recovery. I only used a walker from the time I left the hospital, thru the first week of therapy, before my physical therapist said I was steady enough to use a cane. My surgeon was blown away to see me walk into his office on day 15 using a cane. You can handle this challenge!
Respected Contributor

On 11/21/2014 hayseed00 said:

I am having a right total knee replacement on wed. nov 26, all the info here really helps. I have been off work now for 2 weeks because the knee pain and mobility became to difficult. I'm 60 years old, I have a great surgeon, but still nervous about the surgery. It's good to read that others feel better after the knee replacement.

Best wishes to you, hayseed00, with your surgery!! After being off work for 2 weeks because of knee pain should help motivate you to have that fixed once and for all!!! I never realized how painful an arthritic knee can be!!!!! I will be thinking about you and sending up my prayers!

I'm so glad I started this thread! I've learned so much from those experienced with TKR!!! Thanks again to everyone for sharing your valuable info!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone for your good advice, I'll keep you posted on how I'm doing after my surgery this Wed.

Trusted Contributor

I wish you the best with your surgery and am sure you won't regret it. I'm able to do so much more and have so much less pain now. TKR is not a fun process -- but well worth it!

Contributor

I had both knee replacements done 2 years ago. It has really helped me and am so glad I did it. My doctor did one knee first and two months later did the other knee. I would think it would help you if that is what your doctor recommends. The only thing I would have done different is to try and talk him in to doing both knees at once. I found that one knee is usually worst than the other. My first one was more painful than when I had the second one and I have heard other people say this. Good luck to you and I think you will be happy after you heal.

Occasional Contributor

I had both of my knees replaced together in 2007. Best thing I ever did. My advice is to do the PT. It makes a huge difference in the outcome. Recovery takes a while, don't push things and you will do fine. And keep exercising after the pt is over to maintain all the hard work you put in. I am now able to chase around my 5 grandchildren who are all under the age of 5. Would have been a different story before my surgery. Good Luck!