Esteemed Contributor

I just heard about this treatment.  Has anyone ever had it done and what do you think?

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Do you mean Proton radiation therapy? No personal experience.  But a friend's son who had brain cancer had proton radiation therapy.  I just think his cancer was in a bad spot because he's really still struggling years later.  But I hear the proton therapy zeros in just in the location it is needed and does not harm other body parts.  Unfortunately, they closed our facility down a couple of years ago - too expensive and probably insurance wouldn't cover. 

Honored Contributor

I know nothing about the cost or whether insurance does/doesn't cover it, but when I lived in SoCal a very prestigious major medical center "advertised" it for prostate cancer therapy specifically because of the precise targeting. No other hospital had the machine - which makes me wonder why.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde Those who have had excellent results will praise the procedure.  I would imagine that the cost is rather steep.  Might be that is why not every health care facility offers the procedure. 

With cancer, there aren't guarantees that cells aren't growing in the body elsewhere.  Having the procedure done one place can't ever gurantee the varmint won't show up somewhere else.  Just life. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor
When I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma 3 years ago, a clinic near us had just opened up a proton Therapy center. The treatment kills only the cancer cells. I wasn't eligible b/c my cancer was in the lymphatic system. So, I had 6 sessions of chemo. Knock on wood, my cancer is still in remission. 😊