Respected Contributor

Re: Protein Powder Recommendation

No soy anything for cancer survivors.  I prefer whey.  At GNC, I like Met Rx, on Amazon, I like Quest, you can also bake with that one.  Also, like Inspire protein, I like vanilla in coffee.  For premixed, I like the Premier Protein shakes. Good for on the go.  They have choc, vanilla, strawberry,banana and carmel.  I throw them in my blender and add frozen fruit in the summer too.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for your input @fortune. Im fully aware of the total package, good & bad, that comes with protein sourced from soy, wheat, other plants, mammal, fish, and poultry. Just as some have cause to avoid soy, many people with cholesterol issues embrace soy to provide a substantial amount of protein in their daily diet. When it comes to diet's influence on personal medical issues, it's often a matter of weighing one risk against another. I will leave that up to OP to discuss with her doctor.
OP wanted a redily available, high protein, unflavored, unadulterated protein source that she could add to smoothies. She is welcome to ignore my suggestion if she feels its not right for her.
Honored Contributor

Doesn’t matter where it comes from.

A plant, peas, soy, whey, etc....any time we take a whole food

and extract a single nutrient & process it down to a genetic powder,

pill or supplement, it’s not healthy.   

If you want pea protein, eat peas.

If you want soy protein, eat edamame.

If you want whey protein, drink milk....no, stay away from dairy.

Dairy is just nasty. 

‘Protein’ just has a slick PR campaign.  

There’s nothing mystically magical with this nutrient.

Consume enough calories & protein needs are met.

Just eat whole foods, preferably plants. 

And count the extra money you save from unnecessary supplementation. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone!  I am going to look into all your suggestions.  this was a great help.

Trusted Contributor

I've been using Sunwarrior Warrior Blend for years. It's a blend of pea, hemp, and goji berry protein.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@morganjen, that's what I use as well, I stock up when they have sales & double points offers in their website. I like the vanilla, chocolate, mocha, & mixed berry flavors. I also love their protein bars, the blueberry & the salted caramel flavors. I usually carry one with me when I'm out doing errands because I'd rather eat that than something fast food.