Valued Contributor

I'm looking for recommendations for an plain organic protein powder that I can add to smoothies, etc. and I'd like one that I don't have to order but can purchase in a local store.  Any suggestions for one without a strong taste that's void of sugar and high in proteins?

Regular Contributor

I have a protein powder (Garden of Life) with a store brand shake for lunch and I love it. They have chocolate as well but I love the vanilla. You can get it at Wegman's, GNC or The Vitamin Shoppe.

Garden of Life - Raw Organic Protein - Vanilla (20 Servings) - Plant Based Blends

Honored Contributor

Sunwarrior.....Vega (Costco is now selling Vega) or Garden of Life.  Check out Sunwarrior online. Read and compare, but these three are high quality, I would not recommend whey protein.  You can add fresh greens and fruit to a plain/vanilla smoothie.

Honored Contributor

Why do you want high protein?

Have you used a powder before?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   You are so much my sister.  Your comment was my first thought.  I haven't used protein powder in many years.  I now try to reach people where they are in their health journey encouraging to always include more plant based foods in their diet.  We know that high protein is not a plus, but if someone is at this stage I recommend a plant based protein incorporating lots of produce.  Kind and gentle is my approach if ever asked.  I have enormous respect for you, your knowledge, and conviction.  

@sidsmom wrote:

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Protein Powder Question

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@sidsmom   You are so much my sister.  Your comment was my first thought.  I haven't used protein powder in many years.  I now try to reach people where they are in their health journey encouraging to always include more plant based foods in their diet.  We know that high protein is not a plus, but if someone is at this stage I recommend a plant based protein incorporating lots of produce.  Kind and gentle is my approach if ever asked.  I have enormous respect for you, your knowledge, and conviction.  

@sidsmom wrote:

@phoenixbrd 

💚🌿

It’s just years of experience.

I hate seeing the ‘high protein myth’ continue to perpetuate

when it could really derail all their good efforts. 

Classic case of, “I did ALL the mistakes so you don’t have to!”

I hate seeing people waste their time & especially money

for empty promises.  And most importantly, I want people to 

be healthy & the best they can be. To me...that’s love, yes?🌼💛

I, too, have enormous respect for you, your knowledge, and conviction.  

Good to have a sister w/ same vibrations!🌿

Honored Contributor
I use and recommend Amy Meyers MD Paleo Protein. (My mix-up is the plain unflavored and a bit of the Salted Caramel together.) I am healing from an autoimmune condition and this is a pure digestible source for me.
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Please be careful with protein powders. Harvard Health has a page on them and included this statement there.

“Earlier this year, a nonprofit group called the Clean Label Project released a report about toxins in protein powders. Researchers screened 134 products for 130 types of toxins and found that many protein powders contained heavy metals (lead, arsenic, cadmium, and mercury), bisphenol-A (BPA, which is used to make plastic), pesticides, or other contaminants with links to cancer and other health conditions. Some toxins were present in significant quantities. For example, one protein powder contained 25 times the allowed limit of BPA.

How could protein powder contain so many contaminants? The Clean Label Project points to manufacturing processes or the existence of toxins in soil (absorbed by plants that are made into protein powders).

Not all of the protein powders that were tested contained elevated levels of toxins. You can see the results at the Clean Label Project's website (www.cleanlabelproject.org).”

Honored Contributor

9BD2221E-9F2F-4234-AED2-202D6526A3C1.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

If the power is beef-based, I would be scared about prions.  If the powder is pea-based, I would be concerned after how seeing how this change in animal kibble set off my guys.  Just my thoughts.