Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Some people are fine and some have a negative reaction when taking a probiotic.  @Mom in NY - I wonder if it would help for you to cut the serving amount or amend your schedule to every other day?  Maybe a different brand would work better for you.

I'm lucky in that they seem to balance out any GI disturbances for me. I don't seem to have any problems taking them.

I will take the store brand ones. We are currently using the Sam's Club brand without any problems for either my husband or myself. Before that, we were using the Wal-Mart brand.

We also tried Trader Joe's brand, and those are fine, too. I think that there were two choices with Trader Joe's, and I think that we were getting the lesser expensive choice. 

Frequent Contributor

I had the same problem with probioticis (friendly flora) I was so disappointed.  I really thought they were going to work for me.  I have tried some many things - so frustrating!

Respected Contributor

This past year when I was on an antibiotic for a severe case of bronchitis, my doctor recommended taking Acidopholus pill in the AM.  It was $5 or so and much cheaper than the $20+ box of probiotics.  Worked well.

Read the post about the after effect of a colonoscopy on the good bacteria: will mention this to my GI on Monday's consultation.  The Acidopholus should be refrigerated after opening.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

I take 90 billion. 😳😳. Yes,  that much. And I am doing great. I have IBS-C. This helps a lot. I buy it from Amazon. Activia, and a lesser billion didn't work. Shows how different we all are. 

Honored Contributor

My stomach dr. told me to take Floristor 2ce a day.  I think they are a bit pricey but those are the ones he wants me to take.  I have a lot of stomach issues so anything that might help, I'm all for!

A year ago I had to be on 2 antibiotics for over a year and I really believe that being on Floristor kept me from having serious issues.  

I'm always hearing things about how most of our immune system is based in our gut.  Is this true?  I don't know.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma, your post sounded interesting regarding the gas problem.  I've tried about 3 different probiotics and all give me gas so I don't know if they help or hurt.  And they constipate me.

I ordered the RePhresh from Amazon to try one more time.  It sounds like you're saying it helps you be regular, whereas, you normally are not??

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@MalteseMomma, your post sounded interesting regarding the gas problem.  I've tried about 3 different probiotics and all give me gas so I don't know if they help or hurt.  And they constipate me.

I ordered the RePhresh from Amazon to try one more time.  It sounds like you're saying it helps you be regular, whereas, you normally are not??

Yes it helps me a lot....I normally go everyday maybe 100 x a day . Anything that goes in comes out 15 min later.....lol .........with this product ,i go very nicely in the AM (I take it at night only because I keep it near my bath products  and in the morning I "go" very nicely........lol  .This is good for me because  before this I went ,a little, so many times a day. now it seems to be only 1 or 2 x daily  Smiley Happy  and no gas   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I take Culturelle, 15 billion, 1 tab a day. That's a fairly minimal dose, but I know if I take 30 billion, my stomach starts to bubble uncomfortably. Perhaps the dosage in your Lessman probiotic is too much.... at least to start with. You can try reducing the dosage and build up to full strength. Some people are able to take probiotics, but just have a threshold of comfort.

The other thing to keep in mind is what the actual content of the probiotic is as well as the strength. It always amazes me how people will just buy a vitamin or other supplement based on a recommendation without researching the actual contents to make an educated decision on whether it is good for them or not.  So it could be the actual combination of probiotic in his formulation that is affecting you and a different formulation would work better for you.  Research! 

Respected Contributor

Vitamin K2 is important for gut health too. Should be getting 200mcg daily.

Respected Contributor

A friend asked me today if I wanted a probiotic culture.  I've never heard of this, but it works the same as a sourdough culture.  I'm sticking with the pills I use since they seem to work, but she knows people with serious issues who have benefited from this.  It's called - Kefir.  Look it up and see if it would work for you.