Honored Contributor

Prilosec vrs Nexium

[ Edited ]

Today while getting my B12 shot the nurse mentioned to me that Nexium  does a better job for her than Prilosec.  I have been using Prilosec for almost a year ,and while I am much better I am not  over it.  I have read some people never get over gastritis and gerd.

She said medicare will almost never pay for Nexium, and it will pay for Prilosec. They are different formulations and work a little differently, from what I have read

So I went out and bought Nexium ,and am keeping my fingers crossed that this will do the trick

Have any of you tried both of these meds, and did one work better for you ,than the other?

Respected Contributor

Depending on what I eat or about every 4-6 months I start having heartburn and a two week round of Nexium will eradicate it.  It works like magic for me.  I am not completely sure if I have taken Prilosec but I think I have tried it all and nothing works like Nexium.  It takes a few days to work and you have to take it in the morning and wait an hour before eating but it is worth it.

Honored Contributor

Prilosec did not work for me, but Nexium worked right away. I was on it for 3 years and wanted to get off it. I stopped drinking wine and weaned myself off it, it took a month, but I have not had to go back to it, it'll be 2 years in March. I think the Nexium heals up whatever damage from stomach acid PDQ, if it doesn't you no doubt need endoscopy. My dentist has been taking Nexium for GERD for 3 years and thinks everyone who has reflux should be on it.

Honored Contributor

Omeprazole (Prilosec, Zegerid) belongs to group of drugs called proton pump inhibitors. It decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach

Nexium (esomeprazole) is a proton pump inhibitor that decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach.

They are both PPI's which reduce the acid in your stomach, I have been taking Prevacid for years due to the relationship of Asthma and GERD.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Thank you @I am still oxox   I do know that ,but it seems Nexium is a different formulation from what I have read.  It isn't Omeprazole, but Esomeprazole ,so they aren't the same, but do the same  type of work

Honored Contributor

@cherry

I have been on Nexium and it's generic for many years. Though I have been diagnosed with GERD, Nexium was prescribed for me to keep Pre-cancerous Barrett's Esophagus under control, which has for many years now.

Endo showed:GERD/Hiatal Hernia/Inflamed Esophagus, and Barrett's Syndrome. Lots of Endo's over those many years, but Nexium has keep the possibility of Esophageal Cancer at bay for a long time now.

Your issues?  I went with my Gastro Doctor's advice of Nexium.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  I am giving Nexium a try.   It seems they work a bit differently and Nexium is reputed to work better

Maybe Medicare will pay for it in generic form, but if they don't and it works for me ,I will buy it myself

Omeprazole (Prilosec) and esomeprazole (Nexium) are chemically similar. However, there are minor differences. ... A study published in Digestive Diseases and Sciences found that esomeprazole provided more effective control of GERD than omeprazole at the same doses.Jul 3, 2017
Honored Contributor

I have had an endoscopy, and they diagnosed me with gastritis and gerd.  SO  I know I don't have cancer, or anything else

Esteemed Contributor

I have used Nexium for a long time...Zantac never worked fully...and they gave me Prilosec in the hospital once...i felt it didn't work as well as Nexium either.

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Omeprazole (Prilosec, Zegerid) belongs to group of drugs called proton pump inhibitors. It decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach

Nexium (esomeprazole) is a proton pump inhibitor that decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach.

They are both PPI's which reduce the acid in your stomach, I have been taking Prevacid for years due to the relationship of Asthma and GERD.

I also take Prevacid and have been for years.  Have had no problems and only if I eat a lot of acid type food do I get any kind of gerd.  Have used all the above and find Prevacid the best so far.