Honored Contributor

Re: Preparing for a Doctor yearly physical

@chrystaltree wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@dex wrote:

I always wash and shave whatever needs shaving.I like to carry my purse and wear my shoes when I get weighed....they subtract pounds for that!

Really? I have never had a doctor subtract anything!

I don't get on the scale but I'm sure I would not hang onto my handbag if I did....and I'm sure that if I did, they'd laugh at me and tell me to put it in the chair.

@chrystaltree Mine did. LOL!!! Last time I went I was holding my purse when I got on the scale. I said I wonder why that is off from my scale at home since it's always off 1 lb. The nurse said put your purse down. It only weighed 3 lbs. I always wear my shoes because you never know whose been on it barefoot with a foot problem.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I don't bother with any extra shaving, I'm clean, that's all he gets.

I take my clothes off for NO ONE and all my doctors know better than to even ask.

I wear a blouse & skirt or slacks, so if they want to feel around or whatever, I can pull up or yank down.   

I'm borderline on my weight so getting on the scale is no problem,   I have so many health issues, unrelated to weight, so it's the last thing on the list that my doctor would even mention.    

I try to make a mental note of the last time I may have had certain tests, (labwork, CT's, X-rays, whatever) so he can check the results or so he won't duplicate order anything.

They always make me pee in the cup, so I carry a bottle of water with me and hydrate on the way to the office.

@software Wow. I don't have a problem taking my clothes off. When I went in for the Shingles pain on left side from front to back the doctor asked me if it was ok to lift my shirt. I said I don't care. A week later when the rash showed up I had to go back to show him so he would prescribe meds. I just lifted my shirt to show him my shingles so he would not have to ask. He's seen it all & so have I. DH was with me & said I thought you were going to show him your boobs. LOL!!! I said so what but I have on a bra.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@software wrote:

I don't bother with any extra shaving, I'm clean, that's all he gets.

I take my clothes off for NO ONE and all my doctors know better than to even ask.

I wear a blouse & skirt or slacks, so if they want to feel around or whatever, I can pull up or yank down.   

I'm borderline on my weight so getting on the scale is no problem,   I have so many health issues, unrelated to weight, so it's the last thing on the list that my doctor would even mention.    

I try to make a mental note of the last time I may have had certain tests, (labwork, CT's, X-rays, whatever) so he can check the results or so he won't duplicate order anything.

They always make me pee in the cup, so I carry a bottle of water with me and hydrate on the way to the office.

@software Wow. I don't have a problem taking my clothes off. When I went in for the Shingles pain on left side from front to back the doctor asked me if it was ok to lift my shirt. I said I don't care. A week later when the rash showed up I had to go back to show him so he would prescribe meds. I just lifted my shirt to show him my shingles so he would not have to ask. He's seen it all & so have I. DH was with me & said I thought you were going to show him your boobs. LOL!!! I said so what but I have on a bra.

The problem I have with taking off my clothes is usually the doctor only needs to see my tummy, so why bother.   And it's a pain to take everything off, then to get dressed again and there is usually no mirror in the room.    My hair is messed up, and my clothes may be wonky as well.     

It's just not worth it.    I plan my outfit for the visit.

Honored Contributor

If my feet are going to be up in stirrups I make sure my feet don't stink. 

Respected Contributor

I always schedule my physical for the morning and go in fasting. That way, I don't have to make another trip there just for lab work.

I don't do anything else special that I don't do every other day because I want to know how my health really is. I don't want to try to fool the doctor into thinking that I am healthier than I am.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

Bathe properly, wash hair, and wear clean clothes. But isn't that a given?

Since I wanted to know the discrepancy between my home and the doctor's scales, I weighed myself at home before I left and learned my scale shaves off 3 lb Smiley Frustrated. I also want to know where my height stands, to keep track of spinal degradation, and they always take my height  because of osteoporosis. I take off my shoes for each measurement for the sake of accuracy.

But AFAIC, the absolutely most important thing to do to prepare for your annual

meeting with the PCP is have a list of whatever problems you've had since the last exam--new and resolved--and work that list quickly and efficiently. You can raise questions about new treatments for existing conditions, concerns about current regimens, and request help with problems that will require referrals. You can also give feedback about what hasn't worked, whether it's a treatment or a relationship with another practitioner. I log reminders and notes in the appointment detail months in advance on my computer so I don't forget anything.

Don't forget to request new prescriptions for any that will be out of refills in the coming couple of months.

If you're in the boomer cohort, consider asking for an HCV test.

Use that precious time to your benefit. If you're robust enough to forgo an extensive exam, that's wonderful. I'm not, so I take advantage of what I can get out of the doctor's time with me.

Honored Contributor

No I don't prepare. 

The last time I got weighed at my gyno's office it was in the middle of winter and I got on the scale in boots, winter coat and holding my purse.  I really don't care.  In the grand scheme of things how much does any of that really weigh?  Even 5-7 pounds, big whoop. 

Any blood work isn't going to be affected by a couple of days of watching what I'm eating and exercising.  LOL 

Honored Contributor

I shower and wear clean clothes which I do every day.

If fasting is required for blood work I do that, but why in the world would I do anything to get a false negative which could mask a problem

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I have a friend that used to transcribe doctor's notes, and they note if you shave, how much, or don't shave down there. That unnerved me knowing that was described.

Honored Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

If my feet are going to be up in stirrups I make sure my feet don't stink. 

@GenXmuse  I wear cute bootie socks. Smiley Happy