Super Contributor

Question about drug "Spironolactone"

Anyone out there take this drug??

My dermagologist gave me prerscription. Said it is used to treat many things, including high blood pressure, but she prescribed it to me for acne - post menopaulsal.

It seems like it clears up acne .  I started taking 50 mg twice a day.

Said it could take 2-3 months to clear up acne, but then it really does a good job keeping your skin clear.  Said most likely you are on this forever.

Anyone have any experience with this drug?

Respected Contributor

Re: Question about drug "Spironolactone"

Yes, Yes Yes ! I take 25 mg  tab 1 daily.  I read about it on the internet because I had been so frustrated with hormonal acne for years. I asked my medical doctor about it and he agreed and it has done a wonderful job for me, no More breakouts !!   I also stopped drinking milk, (switched to almond milk) because I read that dairy can also promote acne along with cheese. I am 66 yrs old, have been on spironolactone for about 2 years now absolutely no side effects. I do hope it works for you as well, good luck because I know how frustrating acne can be, I dealt with it from my teenage years until  I started taking this medication. I also wash my face twice a day and I use the first aid beauty facial pads twice daily along with a moisterizer and Peter Thomas Roth glycolic acid cream at night. Again I hope it works for you 

Honored Contributor

Friend of mine got great acne clearing results with this drug. Adult acne.

Contributor

I was on this, and it was great! However, when I had my kidney values checked they were elevated. I went off it, and they returend to normal. I don't think this happens to everyone, but it happened to me. 

Honored Contributor

I took it for HBP and it didn't work. Great that it does something good for somebody!

Honored Contributor

Ladies, please check the research on this one as there are several issues. My Mom was temporarily on it recently to reduce water in her body and once I checked it out I asked the doctor to take her off of it. Good luck and be safe everyone!  

Search Aldactone and check out the drugs dot com information.

https://www.drugs.com/aldactone.html

More details of the side effects in the FDA information. I found this through a search of 'Aldactone study'

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2008/012151s062lbl.pdf

Respected Contributor

I see there have been some concerns about this medication. I am also a type 2 diabetic so I have routine bloodwork done including kidney function test. My last bloodwork was done in May by my regular medical doctor and everything was normal. Everyone is different of course and I am a retired nurse so I agree with making sure to follow up with your doctor. The OP says she is on 50 mg twice a day, I am on 25 mg 1 time daily and have had no issues so far. I would certainly suggest follow up with the physician on a regular basis.

Honored Contributor

I've been on this for skin problems and hair loss. I take 50 mg a day. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was on it years ago to reduce facial hair and clear my skin. When I went off it, my skin on my back never got acne again. Part of that might have been due to age. I remember it made me have to go to the bathroom more often than my coworkers which was problematic at times. I don't remember my exact dosage, but do iremember it was four tiny white pills daily.

Esteemed Contributor

I took it a few years ago, from my derm and then I went off of it. I am not sure why she took me off. I was taking it, along with doxycyline. Now, I am just on the doxycycline and I am having more breakouts. I am going to ask her about going back on the spirolactone.

It worked very well for me.

It is obvious I will never outgrow acne.