Honored Contributor

Re: Portion control

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach 

I seldom measure any food or drink I consume. I drink mostly water and my break proof jug holds 50oz. Milk is my other choice of liquid and I fill the glasses we have, and I have no reason to care how much they hold.

I do not eat "meals", my food consumption is done by "grazing" throughout the day. Never ever experience the "full feeling" because that only serves to slow me, and my body functions, way down. Needless to say, no measuring.

I do use a spoon for measuring my instant coffee. For my biggest daily food intake, which is microwaved whole popcorn kernels, not the prepackaged fat laden, instant type sold in most stores, I do use measuring cups. Depending on how I feel, that can be between a quarter(1/4) cup to a half(1/2) cup, of un-popped white and/or yellow popcorn kernels.

My wife has gram/ounce/pound and all types of scales and measuring do-dads, which she uses for her needs. It is pretty simple for me because I base my fluid and food intake on how I feel, fluids a lot on how much my body needs to stay well hydrated during my 2 hour ice skating sessions, or my workouts in our home gym.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Dreyers sells individual mini cups of slow churned ice cream. They sell for about a dollar at out local store.

Esteemed Contributor

I had to resort to the use of 3 sizes of ramekins some time ago, because I'm cursed with the apetite of a linebacker.  They're used for all meals, with the exception of food items, which I cannot place in a ramekin, such as 1/2 of an English muffin, with a poached egg on it, plus 8 raspberries and tea for breakfast.  Works really, really well for me. 

When my husband cooks (ick), he'll serve up portions of whatever on a plate for me and it's enough food for at least 2 meals.  He gets pushed out of shape, if I don't eat all of it, yet he portions out less on his plate.  Yup, big jerk.

Honored Contributor

For me, 1 container of ice cream = 1 portion.  

Respected Contributor

And I have forbidden foods with names that end in “O” to be brought into my home.  You know, Doritos, Tostitos, Fritos, Oreos...............🤣🤣🤣🤣

All the new Oreo flavors really tempt me, but I am more of a salty snacker than a sweet snacker.  And potato chips are my most favorite.  I can down the whole bag so I just do not buy them or even go down that aisle in the store.  Once in a while I buy the tiny $.50 bag and treat myself with no chance of over doing it.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward