Honored Contributor

Re: Portion control

[ Edited ]

@Zhills wrote:

This type dish is great for desserts.  Look big from the top but narrows nicely!

Glokers Dessert Cups, 5.5 Ounce Ice Cream Bowl or Sundae Cup, Clear Glass Tumblers Including Long Handle Stainless Steel Sundae Spoons, Set of 6 Each

@Zhills  Those remind me of the TDF hot fudge sundaes I ate at Friendly's restaurants. Oh those were the days...back in my homestate of Connecticut. I used to have black raspberry, coffee and mint chocolate chip ice cream, with extra whipped cream, extra hot fudge, and nuts but told the waitress to 'hold the cherry'...LOL

Valued Contributor

I control my ice cream portions by eating them in ice cream cones.  Of course, I try to buy the biggest cones I can find in the store, LOL.

Respected Contributor

I control my ice cream (or any other dessert) portions by simply not having it in the house. If I want it, I have to make the effort to go out, order it from one of the local ice cream shops and eat it while I'm there. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Thank heavens I don’t have to worry about portion control anymore!!  

Just eat to Calorie Density & eat as much as I want.

(600-700 or less calories/pound..of course Plant Based)

If I want something cold/creamy....I just eat Frozen Banana

ice cream...and put it in the biggest bowl I can find!

nom-nom-nom-nom

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Speaking as someone with diabetes, measuring is your friend. It allows you to know just how many carbs you are eating

measuring really opens up your eyes to what a REAL PORTION is.  Much  smaller than I realized when I portioned out say walnuts.... avocado and humus.  And the interesting part is that when you just eat say two table spoons of Hummus rather than a half cup, you do not miss the extra that you were previously eating. I was satisfied with my portion. 

Respected Contributor

Yes cute little dishes and bowls have really helped me with my portion control.  One of my biggest struggles is not to over eat a food just because it tastes good.  I find cute bowls and such at Homegoods.  I have some darling ones from Portmeiron.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 

Keeping it out of the house is how I avoid impulse eating and over eating the unhealthy stuff.  It's the only thing that works for me.  I deserve my treats every now and then but if I want them,  I have to go out and get them and pay for them.  I have to work for it.  It's funny because when  " I want a donut with my coffee" means that I have to get dressed, get in the car, drive to Dunkins and pay for those donuts and since I'm there, get a $4.00 giant coffee and then drive back home.....it kills the donut craving.  Because I'm not doing all that for a donut.    

Honored Contributor

Keeping it out of my house sounds like a good idea. But the fact of the matter for me is trying to keep it out of my shopping cart to begin with...lol! Once it's in there then it seems doomed to get inside my house...doomed to be consumed quickly.Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach 

I have little glass bowls that are good for portion control of ice cream. 

@chrystaltree 

@SilleeMee 

Some days I am good at resisting the temptation to buy snacks & treats that I know aren’t good for me. Other times, not so much. I get candy cravings more than anything. 

Esteemed Contributor

1/3 cup of ice cream?

Oh, as long as I get hot fudge sauce, whipped cream and sprinkles squizzed in there I'm good! 😗