Frequent Contributor

I know this is a touchy subject to talk about but I could use some advice to consider. I thought maybe someone out there has had the same problem.

My bladder dropped earlier this month. Great month to have this happen!{#emotions_dlg.mad}

Had pessary put in. I did not want to have surgery for various reasons-cost even with insurance, being off work and then the back spasms I'm likely to have because my job is physical. Had back problems after returning from a broken wrist. So don't want that again. Also don't want the possibility of using all my sick days available and having to use vacation. NEED vacation!! Also not sure of how well surgery would go and end up.

Really want this pessary thing to work. Nurse says don't worry we have women who can't remove come in every once in awhile to have removed/cleaned. Ok, what will that end up being? How often and how much. Then the doctor says later try different positions and try to get it out. Get gloves. Did this and still can't remove!!

Have read online that some women use a string from dental floss or tampons. That's about all I have found online in regards to this problem. Doctor did not mention this solution as possibility to me last time I was there. I don't see doctor for another week. Hope I can either get out and clean and ALSO be able to get it back in. However, Christmas week is busy. Don't want this hassle added to the mix. So FRUSTRATED!

Would like to hear of any solutions to this problem to consider!!

Wish I had been told earlier that my urgency to pee and leakage should be absolutely resolved OR this prolapse is a possibility. This was never mentioned to me or I would maybe have done something to help prevent a prolapse. I guess the lesson is education and do your Kegels!!!

Thanks in advance! Will check back for any answers!

Respected Contributor

If you are going back to the doctor in a week you can make a list of questions to ask at that time. The device can remain in until then. Have the doctor show you how to remove and insert it. The thing can be worn for months. If you can't manage it yourself the doctor will do it for you. I would expect to be charged for an office visit each time you go and you'd have to pay your co-pay. Ask them how often you'd need to come in.

My mom had a pessary for a prolapsed uterus and she always had the cleaning/removal done at the doctor's office. Back in the dark ages I had a diaphragm for birth control (one of the various methods I tried) and I was taught how to insert/remove it. I imagine a pessary is similar.

Trusted Contributor
Sorry you're having to deal with this ~~~~~ my mom has a pessary and goes to the Dr. every 3 months for cleaning and reinsertion. Yes, this can be a bother, but she feels more secure having the Dr. do it to avoid any problems (possible infection or improper insertion). I like Pinky's idea about a question list for your appt next week. Also, you could express to your physician that it's imperative you feel confident removing/reinserting the device, so could you have a lesson before leaving the appt. Good luck!
Honored Contributor

My Mom had one for 16 years until she passed away at 94. She would have to visit her GYN every 6 months to have it removed and cleaned and reinserted. Sometimes that was somewhat painful. No way would she ever try to do it herself, she was not that kind!!! She had some bleeding with it in beginning, it was abrasive to her skin, meno dryness was the culprit. She went on very low dose estrogen and this took away the problem. It avoided her having a hysterectomy which she did not want. In general, it was a good solution to her uterine prolapse.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. I was scheduled to go back to doctor a week from Monday however, after trying to remove the pessary without any luck on Friday my bladder fell again even with the pessary still in. I must have moved it some when trying to take it out. I had to leave work early. When I woke up it was back to normal. So will call this Monday to mention this happened. I am hoping the doctor will be understanding and concede that I am unable to remove this pessary in the usual way. Have read online that people use tampon or dental floss to attach and help pull it out. Not sure about that. Just need to have a solution soon. Stress is not something I need more of.

It's great for older ladies or anyone (I'm 60) to have the pessary as an alternative to surgery, however you have to be able to remove yourself. In that case, I'm thinking the doctor will have to do it. Don't know how this will go-doctor removing or surgery!!

Frequent Contributor
My 89 yr old mom has had one for many years she has to go in to have a gyno every 3 months or so remove it check for infection and clean it. It's painful for her to some extent . Her Dr. Is good but it's hard. He will usually put some cream I think possibly estrogen in for irritation. It has bothered her more the last while just I think because she is older now. Her bladder was literally falling out.