Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Do not take AZO before going to the doctor because those pills interfer with the test.

I am a frequent UTI sufferer.  And most of the time they come on without any warning.  I've never had one that I'm aware of without the pain, pressure and burning.  

Last July I got a really bad one and was put on antibiotics.  About a month later I got another.  It hit me at work and I was miserable so I took an AZO and made an appointment with my doctor. They could not do the dip test in the office because I had taken that AZO, therefore I had to wait until my specimen came back from the lab 3 days later before she would give me an antibiotic.

After that course, I continued to have the feeling of a UTI although a retest determined I didn't have one.  I started to faithfully take 2 cranberry supplements a day and increased my water intake to 100oz a day and so far I have been fine.     

@Lipstickdiva   So sorry you had to wait that long.  

I must say that one time when I had a UTI and gave a specimen at the doctor's office, I told the technician "there is some AZO from yesterday" and she said "not a problem".... It was "positive" and I was prescribed an antibiotic that day.  Then, the next day, I got a call, saying the lab results came back "positive" and I was told to keep taking the same drug.    What doctor would let you wait 3 days?  That is unheard of.  They start you on an antibiotic and depending on the lab results, they may tell you to stop that pill and they will call in a different one.  But, waiting three days????

My last two UTI's happened (unfortunately) on a Saturday.  I called the service and told them I needed to speak to the doctor.  Within 15 minutes he called back.  I  told him my symptoms and he asked for my pharmacy number and called something in.  Within an hour, I had my antibiotic.  A UTI is not something to play around with.  For some who don't know about AZO (or pyridium) the symptoms are quite uncomfortable and the sooner they are addressed, the better off you are.

As an aside, I looked AZO up and the info said with the Maximum Strength, you can find relief in as little as 20 minutes.  I remember the days when the doctor would call in "Pyridium", which is a teeny bit stronger than AZO - but I don't think they even call it in anymore.  I heard about AZO years ago, from one of the nurses in the doctor's office and have been using it since then.

Sorry to blather on for so long, but hearing about those three days made me do it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Do not take AZO before going to the doctor because those pills interfer with the test.

I am a frequent UTI sufferer.  And most of the time they come on without any warning.  I've never had one that I'm aware of without the pain, pressure and burning.  

Last July I got a really bad one and was put on antibiotics.  About a month later I got another.  It hit me at work and I was miserable so I took an AZO and made an appointment with my doctor. They could not do the dip test in the office because I had taken that AZO, therefore I had to wait until my specimen came back from the lab 3 days later before she would give me an antibiotic.

After that course, I continued to have the feeling of a UTI although a retest determined I didn't have one.  I started to faithfully take 2 cranberry supplements a day and increased my water intake to 100oz a day and so far I have been fine.     

@Lipstickdiva   Sorry - you are mis-informed.  If you do a search on "does AZO interfere with a urine test?" 

"""   All AZO does is make a bad test worse.  It won't affect a thing but it might help ease the pain while you get a hold of your doctor.

Anyone who tells you that you can't have your urine tested while taking AZO, doesn't understand testing for a bladder infection.""""

Honored Contributor

I usually don't know I have a UTI until I am very sick.  

I tell people I'm dead from the waist down, LOL

I lost a kidney from something unrelated to a UTI but I am very careful to be sure my remaining kidney is happy & healthy.    I see my doctor regularly.

It's not good to be running around with an untreated infection.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Had to go to Dr. this afternoon due to  suspected UTI and yep I have one.  Last August I had to get pre-op tests for hip replacement.  Lo and behold I got a call that I had a UTI. I hadn't had a UTI in 35 years. It took 3 rounds of antibiotics to rid myself of that darn thing. I had a culture done too. I had no burning, none of the symptoms I remembered having when I was younger. Felt off that last few days and for the heck of it peed in a unused specium jar from when DH was sick.  Yep I could see it was quite "junky". Got meds so hopefully it won't take 3 rounds again.  Last time he sent me forrenal ultrasound.  Nothing.

Anybody have a UTI that was hard to get rid or keeps getting one. It's a pain when you have no normal symptoms.

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

@Lipstickdiva   So sorry you had to wait that long.  

I must say that one time when I had a UTI and gave a specimen at the doctor's office, I told the technician "there is some AZO from yesterday" and she said "not a problem".... It was "positive" and I was prescribed an antibiotic that day.  Then, the next day, I got a call, saying the lab results came back "positive" and I was told to keep taking the same drug.    What doctor would let you wait 3 days?  That is unheard of.  They start you on an antibiotic and depending on the lab results, they may tell you to stop that pill and they will call in a different one.  But, waiting three days????

My last two UTI's happened (unfortunately) on a Saturday.  I called the service and told them I needed to speak to the doctor.  Within 15 minutes he called back.  I  told him my symptoms and he asked for my pharmacy number and called something in.  Within an hour, I had my antibiotic.  A UTI is not something to play around with.  For some who don't know about AZO (or pyridium) the symptoms are quite uncomfortable and the sooner they are addressed, the better off you are.

As an aside, I looked AZO up and the info said with the Maximum Strength, you can find relief in as little as 20 minutes.  I remember the days when the doctor would call in "Pyridium", which is a teeny bit stronger than AZO - but I don't think they even call it in anymore.  I heard about AZO years ago, from one of the nurses in the doctor's office and have been using it since then.

Sorry to blather on for so long, but hearing about those three days made me do it.

@sophiamariemy doctor is adament about not giving out unnecessary antibiotics.  And I messed myself up by taking that AZO before I went in to see her and giving her a specimen.  Had I not done that, she would have done the dip test in the office, it would have been positive and she would have given me antibiotics.  Then the specimen is sent out for further testing and they call me to let me know I'm on the right antibiotic or it's changed.    

My doctor's office will not ever just call something in without having a test to confirm whether I really have an infection or not.  If something comes up on the weekend or she is totally booked and cannot see me, I am instructed to go to the Urgent Care so they can do a urine test on me and give me antibiotics if need be.  Given that the very last time I went for what I thought was a UTI and I didn't have one, I'm not upset that she won't just give me something without the proper testing.  I had a nice dialogue with them and we came up with a possible reason why I was continually feeling like I had a UTI and I've been able to alleviate that problem.  

Both my doctor and the Urgent care I go to have always asked if I want a prescription for Pyridium.          

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva   Sorry - you are mis-informed.  If you do a search on "does AZO interfere with a urine test?" 

"""   All AZO does is make a bad test worse.  It won't affect a thing but it might help ease the pain while you get a hold of your doctor.

Anyone who tells you that you can't have your urine tested while taking AZO, doesn't understand testing for a bladder infection.""""

@sophiamarie, AZO interfers with the dip test that is done in the office.  It does not interfer with lab tests.  So if your doctor has such a set up in his/her office, then the AZO is fine.  My physician and the urgent care I go to use the dip test and then send the specimen out.  

They cannot run a dip test on bright orange urine because they cannot see the color changes.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  How are you doing? Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler   Well, I had to go to Dr. Tuesday and give a speciman for culture.  Said it would be back today.  I called at 3:30 to see if it came back.  was put on hold while she checked. Must have cut me off. I hung up.  No script at CVS so it must not have come back. I'll call back in the am. It took 3 rounds of antibiotics and a culture to get rid of one last summer.

I need to find a new Dr.  My doctor of 40+ years retired and I don't care for the new guy.The office used to be very busy with my old Dr.,now you're lucky if there are 2 cars there at once.

Hopefully,it will be back tomorrow. There's an infection somewhere. I'm hot then cold,rinse and repeat, and just feel crummy in general.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Thanks for the update. Heart

And I know what you mean about having a doctor for so many years. I've had to be referred to new doctors because the ones I have had for years and years are retiring or moving away; or dying! It's like starting all over, explaining everything about your medical life.