Regular Contributor

my dr wants me to try Pepcid 40 mg twice a day to get off of Prilosec. My insurance won't cover it. The price would be $800 for 3 months supply without insurance. Would I be able to buy 20mg off  the shelf and take 2 twice a day. Just wondering if anybody ever did this.

Honored Contributor

@jagk  That's exactly what I did except I take the generic version of Zantac.  I was on Prilosec over 20 years and knew I needed to get off of it.  I could also take the generic OTC Zantac and have on occasion when I run out of my prescription.  It works almost as well as the Prilosec; I've discovered a couple things I now avoid but it's no big deal.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Did you have a hard time getting off the Prilosec? Some people have a hard time.

Honored Contributor

No hard time at all.  One day I took Prilosec, the next day Zantac and didn't notice the difference.  In what way do people have a hard time?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Some people have acid rebound and have to taper off the medicine gradually.

Honored Contributor

@jagk

Sam's club, Costco or Amazon might have the generic version cheaper.

Just a thought🙂

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@jagk

Just a thought🙂

I buy OTC and/or generic Zantac at Costco all the time. Large quantity, good price.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@jagk

Just a thought🙂

They do  - we bought a Pepcid generic at Sam's Club. The Vet recommended it because our dog always has tummy troubles with certain medications. It has worked very well. And quite reasonable.

Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone. I will have to check at SAMs club.

Valued Contributor

My husband has acid reflux and takes the chewable pepcids , One in the morning and one at night , Works great!

cathy from ma