Honored Contributor

@MKR14 wrote:

@Moonchilde There are many causes of diseases and it usually not just one thing.

All I can say is what my problem with getting it is. I don't see how an occasional drink would do this unless it is what set an attack off due to the pancreas already

being inflammed. The Pancreas Foundation has good information but your own doctor will make the correct treatment plan. It is informative on how each came about for others.

Not sure why you addressed your comments to me? I do not have pancreatitis. I was not addressing my comments to any specific poster, nor addressing every response. I too do not believe an occasional drink would have "caused" pancreatitis but could certainly aggravate an incipient attack.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Pancreatitis :(

[ Edited ]

Even WebMD agrees with me:

Doctors will try to relieve the patient's pain and improve the nutrition problems. Patients are generally given pancreatic enzymes and may need insulin. A low-fat diet may also help.

---

Repeat:

Inflammation needs to to be reduced by any means possible.

Can inflammation be the cause of cancer?

Reduction of fat is imperative. 

Trusted Contributor

@MommaNJ629 wrote:
I have bad case. I'm 35. I drink maybe once in 2 months. They are calling it "idiopathic" but boy does it hurt. It's really the worst pain I ever felt in middle to left. I'm on day 6 and it's still not done. I can barely eat. I still have pain.

I hope you're taking the proper measures so you can feel better. Denial is not one of them.

Respected Contributor

Sorry I just went to post and didn't mean to address it to you. I am glad you do not have pancreatitis though. 

Honored Contributor

@abfromtx wrote:

My husband has chronic pancreatitis for about 17 yrs. docs. Last year had him start taking enzymes every time he eats anything. He takes Pancrese but their are others too. If money is an issue ask your doctor for samples. This is not a cheap med but it does keep him comfortable . We noticed when he tries to cut back or skip around ( ugggh! Smiley Sad ) that he has an attack so it Definately helps. Ask your doc to try you on some samples. Might help you as it does him. It is designed to help your pancreas to digest food. Relieving the stress off the pancreas. Hope this helps.

I take enzymes anywhere from 6 to 99 per day depending on how good or bad mine is.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Misleading to lay the blame for pancreatitis solely on alcohol. My elderly mother had it twice, was hospitalized both times, and it certainly wasn't from alcohol. There are other causes - gallstones, smoking, some medications (most medications for type 2 diabetes are suspects), family history, overactive thyroid, to name a few. The Mayo Clinic says alcoholism is the leading cause of pancreatitis, not having a very occasional drink.

Of course the OP will avoid alcohol now that she's had pancreatitis and is at risk in future, but to postulate that her occasional drink is the *cause* of her current pancreatitis is stretching it. I also take the OP at her word that she's a very occasional drinker because so far I have no reason not to take her at her word.

Idiopathic, BTW, means the doctors do not know the cause in her case.

Wrong for you to assume that is what was said.  Obviously you did not evaluate what was said.  It was aid that pancreatitis is bad and alcohol exacerbates it and cause it to kill you.  Pancreas  divisum is a congenital anomaly and nobody is responsible for that.  Please read very well before you jump bad.

Respected Contributor

I have not had this, but I am an RN and have seen it.

People can be VERY sick and in a LOT of pain.

Hope you get well soon.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@MommaNJ629

I am so sorry to hear that you are sick with this.  Does drinking cause pancreatitis?  I did not know that.  I thought they did not know what caused it.  I heard the pain is terrible.  Can they give you something for it to heal it and help with the pain?  I hope you feel better very soon.  Please take good care and let us know how you are doing.  

@AngelPuppy1  Excessive drinking can cause it, but also a fatty diet or gallstones, and as the OP said, sometimes there is no explanation.

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Misleading to lay the blame for pancreatitis solely on alcohol. My elderly mother had it twice, was hospitalized both times, and it certainly wasn't from alcohol. There are other causes - gallstones, smoking, some medications (most medications for type 2 diabetes are suspects), family history, overactive thyroid, to name a few. The Mayo Clinic says alcoholism is the leading cause of pancreatitis, not having a very occasional drink.

Of course the OP will avoid alcohol now that she's had pancreatitis and is at risk in future, but to postulate that her occasional drink is the *cause* of her current pancreatitis is stretching it. I also take the OP at her word that she's a very occasional drinker because so far I have no reason not to take her at her word.

Idiopathic, BTW, means the doctors do not know the cause in her case.

Wrong for you to assume that is what was said.  Obviously you did not evaluate what was said.  It was aid that pancreatitis is bad and alcohol exacerbates it and cause it to kill you.  Pancreas  divisum is a congenital anomaly and nobody is responsible for that.  Please read very well before you jump bad.

I'm sorry - I can't comprehend most of your response. Please read very well before you hit "Post." Bad.

Honored Contributor

@MKR14 wrote:

Sorry I just went to post and didn't mean to address it to you. I am glad you do not have pancreatitis though. 

No problem @MKR14 :-) I'm glad I don't have it either. It sure made my mother miserable the times she had it.